Four Tops "ask The Lonely" Accapella

Not a mention about the genius who actually created this masterpiece - the great Ivy Hunter. Don't care how great a voice/arrangement/production is applied to a recording - without lyrics and music there is nothing. Ivy's own version is the best by the way. Last track. (11:28)

Edited by Rob Moss
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

I too have a Soft Spot for Billy Eckstine [and all his motown offerings ,apart from "i Wonder Why"] a very large Swamp! Levi Numero Uno great posting.

Social source share

Not a mention about the genius who actually created this masterpiece - the great Ivy Hunter. Don't care how great a voice/arrangement/production is applied to a recording - without lyrics and music there is nothing. Ivy's own version is the best by the way. Last track. (11:28)

Never heard this version before Rob

yes, good, but for me the Four Tops is quite simple musical perfection and will simply never be matched

brings back some incredible memories of allantons very own 3 before 8, or sometimes even 9 if I could ever get Jock to wind it up

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you ever need a reminder of how good Levi Stubbs voice was just listen to the control he has. He can go from a whisper to a roar in an instant, while at the same time sounding effortless and melodic.

Accapella version was only ever released on the lost and found CD series as far as I'm aware. Very hard to get hold of and £80 when released

Rip Levi........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 6 years later...

It was also available on the 2008 DVD "The Four Tops; Reach Out. Definitive Performances 1965-1973".A really excellent DVD that also makes a cappella versions of these songs available:

Baby I need your lovin' - (spellcheck switched that to 'login' at first 🤣)

I can't help myself

It's the same old song

Something about you

Loving you is sweeter than ever

7 rooms of gloom

Walk away Renee

If I were a carpenter

Reach out I'll be there

A simple game

Well worth getting if you can find it! 

IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg