Kay Gee Bee Sheffield

dave storey

Hi, can anyone remember the Kay gee Bee in Sheffield from the 70's .

the club that was down the drive under the old cinema.

I think it was last used as a snooker club.

I am trying to find out which soul singers sang live there.

Cheers Dave.

Edited by PALM DAVE
Social source share

Hiya Dave.....Barry Holland ran the revived KGB for about 15 years at Bar Abbey on Abbeydale Road until the premises were taken over by new owners a couple of months ago.

He's probably a good place to start with your enquiries, not sure of his Monica on here but you'll find him in the past events pages on that venue from earlier this year.

He's on FB as "Barry KGB Holland".

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Used to go most weeks back in the day, KGB dance studio, downstairs with a huge wooden sprung dancefloor, was run by Terry samson I think his name was, had a big frizzy afro like the hair bear bunch.    :D

Last time I had chance to look in it was a snooker hall and the newer named KGB soul nights were held further along the block in a much smaller premises, these were run by Barry Holland, I think he's a member on here, he could tell you more.   :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Barry Holland

Hiya Dave, a friend's just told me about this post so I thought I'd reply to it. I ran the soul nights from Dec 1999 to May 2014. It was in the same building as the original KGB but a couple of rooms along from the original ballroom in a much smaller, cellar-like bar but it created a great atmosphere. A new management team came in alongside a new owner of the building and didn't want us anymore. Unfortunately over the last year or so my health issues have got a lot worse and don't get out much now as I want to. Don't get on soul source much either. As for the original KGB, I only remember going once, in 1982, must have been just before it shut. I've heard lots of stories about the original nights, seen lots of flyers and know a lot of pele who went. Wasn't aware of any live acts but looks like from a previous post, Tommy Hunt appeared there but then again where hasn't he appeared, LOL. Saw him at Dial House in Sheffield about 1980 but that's another story.

Sorry couldn't be more of a help to you but glad you got the name in the end, all the best, Barry, KTF.

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Thanks for the great offer Dave but sometimes unable to get out due to stomach related problems. I do have a car and can still drive but it's just the health issues letting me down. Are you in Sheffield and have we ever met?

supposed to be doing a spot for Fat Piggy at the Embassy Feb 8th if I'm ok. ATB.

Social source share

Thanks for the great offer Dave but sometimes unable to get out due to stomach related problems. I do have a car and can still drive but it's just the health issues letting me down. Are you in Sheffield and have we ever met?

supposed to be doing a spot for Fat Piggy at the Embassy Feb 8th if I'm ok. ATB.

Hi Barry, went to the kay gee bee until its closure when it was still in the room that was reopened as a snooker hall.

Yes I do live in sheffield and I am not sure if we have met ?.

Social source share

went to kgb mid 70s from what i can remember it was down a few stairs straight on to dance floor, the far wall was all mirrors and the ceiling  over the dance floor was quite low.when the place got packed ,which it always was the mirrors would be running with condensation .dont remember ever seeing a live act ,but didnt go every week

Social source share

Spent many happy nights there 77-78 ish

never seen live act there

great chips

there was a piano/music shop nearby called - J Whites Music (bet it wasn't janettes)

I don't recall any live turns there either Mick, one time I do remember Edwin Starr should have been doing a live appearance but he never turned up, we all did.    :lol:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

went to kgb mid 70s from what i can remember it was down a few stairs straight on to dance floor, the far wall was all mirrors and the ceiling  over the dance floor was quite low.when the place got packed ,which it always was the mirrors would be running with condensation .dont remember ever seeing a live act ,but didnt go every week

Went quite a few times with mates from Nottingham during the mid 70's on the train. Probably '76/77 (5th year at secondary school!). I do remember it was down stairs with a the low ceiling but a great vibe.... 

Social source share

gallery_3740_4229_123775.jpgFlyer from early 80's

Used to love this place, some fabulous memories, great people, great tunes and a great dance floor,

'Thanks for the Memories' chaps.................Rick :thumbsup:

PS Terry Sampson used to live in my kneck of the woods and he also ran Northern Nites at the Side Saddle near Doncaster and at the Viking Hotel in Goole.

Edited by RICK SCOTT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Used to love this place, some fabulous memories, great people, great tunes and a great dance floor,

'Thanks for the Memories' chaps.................Rick :thumbsup:

PS Terry Sampson used to live in my kneck of the woods and he also ran Northern Nites at the Side Saddle near Doncaster and at the Viking Hotel in Goole.

Used to go regularly to the KGB. We'd do the warm up first, pop out for some fish and chips and then back in for the nighter. The train from Chesterfield always had around 20 on their way to to Sheff. DJ and nice guy Nev Wherry used to DJ at "Inky Social" in Chesterfield mid week and he'd arrange to pick us up at the station and drive us back up to the venue.

To be even sadder, I still have my KGB membership card :ohmy:  

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!