Quality Crossover Discovery - Opinions, Thoughts, Information?

Greg Belson

Nice soulful stepper Greg ..can see it appealing to fans of crossover and modern soul and at the chill out type of events .

Lyrically it is gospel ,but musically its like many other soulful winners !

Well done mate ,you do find em and I know how laborious it can be clicking and listening for that one song, from probs hundreds of " oh lordy " poor records that ebay seem to be awash with these days :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Found this not sure if its the same song as the clip is to short and is a much later recording 1996

https://www.allmusic.com/album/live-mw0000086763

Cheers for the link....I'd say it's not a later version of the same song, but it's hard to be 100%. There's no writer info linking the 45 to the CD release either....worth exploring though. Thanks!

Social source share

Nice soulful stepper Greg ..can see it appealing to fans of crossover and modern soul and at the chill out type of events .

Lyrically it is gospel ,but musically its like many other soulful winners !

Well done mate ,you do find em and I know how laborious it can be clicking and listening for that one song, from probs hundreds of " oh lordy " poor records that ebay seem to be awash with these days :(

Cheers for the post, Nev....ha, yep.....having to score 1,000's of happy clappy tunes to find 'The One'.....diggin' for gospel is like being in 'The Matrix'.....ha!  :rofl:

Social source share

a winner for me, but i just had to get one of my dj friends a 45 of this

so that's his xmas covered.i played it out and his brother also 1 of the dj's was right up to the decks to find out what it was. Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Before we kick things off, it would be great if we could keep the thread as positive as possible. I appreciate that crossover is not to everyone's style on this board so if it's not your cup of tea, that's absolutely fine.....there's plenty of room elsewhere on the board to discuss other things. Cheers for your understanding  :hatsoff2: .

I found this 45 mid summer and it was one of those 45's that struck me the very first second I heard it.....amazing crossover with a superb arrangement and killer vocal. For me, it catapults it into a 'must have' disc. I've been trying to source information now for close to 6 months and come up completely dry.

So I thought at this point, I'd hand it over to you guys for thoughts, opinions and possibly some information, if we can find any. I can't find any other copies, so at the moment in the collector world, is this it....always dubious about saying that, but usually when you do, other copies potentially come out of the woodwork.

Here's the youtube clip;

Positive discussion comments are welcome..........cheers!

Nice.

What would you say is the year of release Greg ?

Definitely 80's one would think.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice tune, I also have another 45 in the same mould which is also a one off as far I know in this up tempo gospel style albeit 70s.

Again opinion sought on it so there's a link below.

https://www.raresoul45s.co.uk/Product_Detail.php?Product=1986

Hope you don't mind me putting in here Greg rather than a new topic.

Cheers Darren

Edited by Raresoul45s
Social source share

Before we kick things off, it would be great if we could keep the thread as positive as possible. I appreciate that crossover is not to everyone's style on this board so if it's not your cup of tea, that's absolutely fine.....there's plenty of room elsewhere on the board to discuss other things. Cheers for your understanding  :hatsoff2: .

I've never really understood what "crossover" is, could you give us the 10 cents tour ? Thanks :thumbsup:

Social source share

I found this 45 mid summer and it was one of those 45's that struck me the very first second I heard it.....amazing crossover with a superb arrangement and killer vocal. For me, it catapults it into a 'must have' disc. I've been trying to source information now for close to 6 months and come up completely dry.

So I thought at this point, I'd hand it over to you guys for thoughts, opinions and possibly some information, if we can find any. I can't find any other copies, so at the moment in the collector world, is this it....always dubious about saying that, but usually when you do, other copies potentially come out of the woodwork.

Here's the youtube clip;

Positive discussion comments are welcome..........cheers!

Nice one Greg always wondered who else had one. It was one I kept but never was really into that much. Clearly a very tidy tune though.  

As for Darren's Rev Rufus Malone - that was the only copy I've ever seen not sure if you've seen one, Greg?

Was a total blind buy (like most gospel tunes ive got)  and though more up my alley, obviously I didn't keep it as its in Darren's hands. Definitely the same copy.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice.

What would you say is the year of release Greg ?

Definitely 80's one would think.

Cheers for the comment......I'm thinking late 70's, but it easily could have crept into the early 80's. Very difficult to date these kind of discs......anywhere between '79 and '84, I reckon.

Social source share

Nice one Greg always wondered who else had one. It was one I kept but never was really into that much. Clearly a very tidy tune though.  

As for Darren's Rev Rufus Malone - that was the only copy I've ever seen not sure if you've seen one, Greg?

Was a total blind buy (like most gospel tunes ive got)  and though more up my alley, obviously I didn't keep it as its in Darren's hands. Definitely the same copy.  

Thanks alot for the message.....so you have another copy of the Gospel Angelics? Just trying to gauge how many of these are out there!

And yeah, I know about the Rev. Rufus....seen it listed around Soul Source (a quick scoot around sees a listing in December 2012), plus I can see a few copies have floated through ebay. I didn't make any offers on it in the past cos there's something about it that's not quite clicking with me. But I'll stay with it.....that might change.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've never really understood what "crossover" is, could you give us the 10 cents tour ? Thanks :thumbsup:

It originally meant late 60s / early 70s midtempo / steppers type sounds.. I think Tim Brown came up with the term in a column in 'Voices from The Shadows' .early 90s...Desribed a very specific type of record...'I'm the one that loves you' , 'Just loving you' Chuck Cockeram and whatever is on the b-side of Bobby Hill 'To the Bitter End' i seem to recall were all mentioned in that piece. Nowadays people just use it to describe anything that's not a stomper recorded in rhe 60s. See also describing 70s as 'modern soul'. Sorry, this is another thread...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Great record Greg!. super vocal and probably recorded between 80 and 84. The strange thing is there actually used to be more gospel or should we say inspirational tracks played on the scene than there is now. I am sure many will remember the Marcus 45 ' love they don't know you' ,very similar in tempo to this and from the same period .One thing for sure in most cases a gospel vocal will be superior. Imo this has absolutely nothing to do with crossover.Check out the Donnie scales 45 from detriot from around this period, now that is a voice!

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great record Greg!. super vocal and probably recorded between 80 and 84. The strange thing is there actually used to be more gospel or should we say inspirational tracks played on the scene than there is now. I am sure many will remember the Marcus 45 ' love they don't know you' ,very similar in tempo to this and from the same period .One thing for sure in most cases a gospel vocal will be superior. Imo this has absolutely nothing to do with crossover.Check out the Donnie scales 45 from detriot from around this period, now that is a voice!

Andy

On that subject Andy, sure Greg won,t mind us hijacking a great thread, he put me on to this one anyway

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy

Thanks so much for the comment....I'm familiar with the Donnie Scales but don't own a copy as yet. Nice 45, no doubt! When I heard the Gospel Angelics, my immediate thought was how great it will sound next to this 45;

Social source share

Thanks so much for the comment....I'm familiar with the Donnie Scales but don't own a copy as yet. Nice 45, no doubt! When I heard the Gospel Angelics, my immediate thought was how great it will sound next to this 45;

Yep, brilliant shout. One of John andersons  front page delights during the indie come back period of the early eighties. Love the mood on that one. Think that one was a fiver, when most others on the page were three fifty. They were the days!

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, brilliant shout. One of John andersons  front page delights during the indie come back period of the early eighties. Love the mood on that one. Think that one was a fiver, when most others on the page were three fifty. They were the days!

Andy

Cheers for the insight, Andy.....I was a little young in the early 80's to be buying from John's lists, but I figured there must have been a 'story' surrounding the New Way disc. Still not a lot of people seem to know it, but I have seen it crop up on the odd playlist. The label itself has at least 10 other titles attached to it, so not a one off, which leads me to think that at least 300/500 were pressed.

Social source share

It originally meant late 60s / early 70s midtempo / steppers type sounds.. I think Tim Brown came up with the term in a column in 'Voices from The Shadows' .early 90s...Desribed a very specific type of record...'I'm the one that loves you' , 'Just loving you' Chuck Cockeram and whatever is on the b-side of Bobby Hill 'To the Bitter End' i seem to recall were all mentioned in that piece. Nowadays people just use it to describe anything that's not a stomper recorded in rhe 60s. See also describing 70s as 'modern soul'. Sorry, this is another thread...

Would Tyrone Davis - 'Just my luck' qualify ?

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!