Soul Stars In Sport

Rosey Grier is a very good example of a sports star that 'crossed-over' to soul music. The Pizza Pie Man was an American Football legend. England fans will also have a soft-spot for Bobby Moore and the Rhythm Aces. But I almost choked on my cornflakes this morning when I read that Scotland's under 18 golf team had won the home internationals and that a star player of the tournament was a kid from the north of scotland called Lew Kirton. Any other sporting soul stars you can think of?

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gil Scott-Herons dad used to play for one of the big Scottish clubs - Celtic I think....

Yes it was Celtic he was signed from the Chicago Maroons and he played in the same Celtic side as Jock Stein in the early '50s.

Surely that Bristol player Junior Agogo sang one of Butch's cover-ups

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Gilbert Heron played for the Canadian Air Force, moved to the Detroit Wolverines, Chicago Sting, Detroit Corinthians then signed for the Celts in 1951. He played one league game and four Scottish League Cup games. He was released in 1952 and spent time at Third Lanark and Kidderminster Harriers. In the interests of balance I suppose I'd better add that Gil Scott Heron is a Rangers supporter. :D

Ali

Social source share

Gil Scott-Herons dad used to play for one of the big Scottish clubs - Celtic I think....

And I think I remember the article in Echoes that burst that story, however forget the journalists name, obviously one of those fly by night here for a day soul fans :D:(:lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Charles Mann was part of the greatest Washington Redskins team in my lifetime, and recently Dallas Cowboys traded Larry Allen to the 49ers.

Social source share

Lee Maye was a baseball player, and only recorded in the period between baseball seasons. i think his version of Have Love Will Travel (also issued as 'The Off-beats') has had a few Northern spins...?

Total Disaster, is a brilliant record by him on Pic 3 or some number like that, hard record to find too :P

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lee Maye was a baseball player, and only recorded in the period between baseball seasons. i think his version of Have Love Will Travel (also issued as 'The Off-beats') has had a few Northern spins...?

Actually he was a recording artist (as Arthur Lee Maye) before he took up baseball professionally, but you're right about what happened after that...

TONE :P

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Not sure if Melvin Elling was a sports star but Willie "Stretch" McCovey owned the label.He was a famous baseball player.

Tomo

Ahhh .. cheers for that - think I heard somewhere that Elling was too, but given that info maybe I'm wrong.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!