Authenticating - Maurice Williams - Being With You

Baldsoulie

Can anyone assist please, trying to authenticate if I have an original Maurice Williams Being Without You on Deesu. I have read all the SS topics and the Deesu discog thread but here are my questions, on a Green label and looking very like JM original scan in boot guide;

1. The record numbers are reversed I.e. Being With You is 205-1726 and Baby,Baby is 205-7125. The matrix numbers also share this reversal.

2. According to JM guide lettering on an original is Gold and boot is Silver. The one I have is silver in a bright light. Can someone confirm how deep the gold colour is on another original please.

Finally yes it does have a stamped Nashville Matrix at about 11 o'clock and the scratched matrix number at 1o'clock followed by COS (C is very curled) and 75 at about 10 o'clock.

Guidance would be great.

thanks in advance for any thoughts

Stuart

Edited by Baldsoulie
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Can anyone assist please, trying to authenticate if I have an original Maurice Williams Being Without You on Deesu.   I have read all the SS topics and the Deesu discog thread but here are my questions, on a Green label and looking very like JM original scan in boot guide;

1.  The record numbers are reversed I.e. Being With You is 205-1726   and Baby,Baby is 205-7125.  The matrix numbers also share this reversal. 

2.  According to JM guide lettering on an original is Gold and boot is Silver.  The one I have is silver in a bright light.  Can someone confirm how deep the gold colour is on another original please.

Finally yes it does have a scratched Nashville Matrix at about 11 o'clock and the scratched matrix number at 1o'clock followed by COS (C is very curled)  and 75 at about 10 o'clock.

Guidance would be great.

thanks in advance for any thoughts

Stuart

Silver is silver, gold is gold - if it looks silver, it's silver, and a reissue...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it has the Nashville matrix stamp it must be an original!

I have never seen a boot with the Nashville matrix stamp.

I know what you mean about the gold or silver lettering.

The print looks gold when looking straight at it but when you catch it the light it can look silverish. 

The bootleg print has a definite silver print, no hint of gold.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Thanks for the info so far, going with original as it does have a nashville matrix stamp, but the lettering colour i will reserve until i see it in natural light. It also looks like the original record numbers were reversed and 'Being With You' was issued as 205-1726 and not 205-1725 which was used on the Baby,Baby side. A production error or BWY was meant to be the 'B' side?.

Something else i have noted on Deesu records produced by Dover the 'Produced by Dover' titles at the bottom of the records are never equi distant from the edge of the labels, they seem to drift toward one edge. The silver lettered boot 'produced by dover' lettering is equally spaced from the label edge. Perhaps i have been staring at labels too long?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!