Sharon Mcmahon's "where There Is Love"-Was It Released?

Robbk

48 people looked at this and NO ONE knows whether it was released during the '60s on a commercial pressing, or just recently found on an acetate and a boot or legitimate current pressing sold or not?  SOMEONE here must know, as it has been played by at least one DJ.

What's the story here?

Ady C. ?  Was this among Ollie McLaughlin's master tapes?

Social source share

Hi Robb, I dont know much about this one either, other than I like it.. Yann V posted it up on Facebook yesterday, or was it on here... anyhow I'll ask him, but likely an acetate as you say, Yann has allot of great Dj's at his gigs so could be via any one of them...

Mal

Social source share

Hi Robb, I dont know much about this one either, other than I like it.. Yann V posted it up on Facebook yesterday, or was it on here... anyhow I'll ask him, but likely an acetate as you say, Yann has allot of great Dj's at his gigs so could be via any one of them...

Mal

Maybe the fact he was in Barcelona and Butch was dj'n, is there a clue in there?
Social source share

It was a one off acetate but sure one was found some years ago on Columbia, John Manship sold to Sam I believe. I think if memory serves me correctly Richard Searling played it other week on his radio show so probably has the Columbia one now. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I spoke to Sharon McMahon earlier this year & it was never released - she has a whole load of stuff from the 60s unreleased - watch this space though !!!

Don Gardner said the same about Cheating Kind as did many artists about their material.  The one found was a Columbia demo I think so in that sense she is correct, never issued.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was a one off acetate but sure one was found some years ago on Columbia, John Manship sold to Sam I believe. I think if memory serves me correctly Richard Searling played it other week on his radio show so probably has the Columbia one now. 

Would be amazing if there were only one known demo for a  record on a major label like Columbia, wouldn't it ? 

Social source share

The McLaughlin family are currently negotiating official release details. 

I hope that Ace.Kent will be the ones to release at least a 5 CD set (if not more).  If there were enough cuts for 4 CDs for Dave Hamilton's productions, there should be even more for Ollie McLaughlin's.

Social source share

Are you sure you're not thinking of " Get out of my life " /" Maybe you'll be back " on Columbia Chalky ? Richard has been playing that a while , got a release on Expansion too I think ....

Social source share

The version by Jimmy Delphs is cleaner. Same backing track. Instrumental is superb.

I've been gagging to hear this version since I heard it existed.... Where can I travel to hear it, SM's is brilliant, if Jimmy Delphs is better (which I've heard it is) Then I need to hear it now :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I've been gagging to hear this version since I heard it existed.... Where can I travel to hear it, SM's is brilliant, if Jimmy Delphs is better (which I've heard it is) Then I need to hear it now :)

I'm with Byrney on this one - would love to hear the JD version - love JD and most things he did - especially the sublime cheapie "Almost". - mid tempo magic!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Been wondering about this since it was on one of the first 'Soul Girl' clips - absolutely love it. Funny for them to use such an obscurity - what a tune though.

Is dancing ,on what looks like ,some kind of monument or war memorial ,a tad disrespectful ? 

Not  complaining mind ,she can dance on my grave when i'm gone  :yes:  :wicked:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the privilege of hearing Jimmy Delph's recording of it and it's fabulous but for me, after first hearing the female take of it a couple of years previous back in 2012 and being blown away it's still the version for me. It's the best thing I've heard in years and when Dave first stumbled across it I was smitten. I just hope it's the female artist I've been told it actually is.. Time will tell??

Without sounding all 'anal' too and the fact getting the legal rights to the recordings are in progress also, I want Dave Molloy to get an official mention as him coming across it early 2012 and my regular facebook postings back then did catch Eddie's attention to then follow up with Rob Moss hence serious investigations. This is not me being arrogant but simply standing by the respect and acknowledgement I always give to anyone who first raises awareness of newly found tracks or unseen footage. On a final note, thank you to Eddie and Rob for allowing me to hear JD's version along with a few more unissued gems. xx

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!