Otis Lee Original Or Boot

Andyontherock

Managed to pick up a copy of Otis Lee - Hard row to hoe for a reasonable price from a collectors son in the states.

It is mint and barely played.

Initially made up by the condition, but have noticed recently that there a load of look a like boots hitting the market.

Does anyone know how to spot an original, Matrix No's etc, or give away signs of the boot.

Ta very much

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Hi,amigos, the eternal problem of bootleg,as mr pinch says Otis is stolen! Asa motown maniac just picked up some Tiawanese Mr Gordy counterfiets from 1960s,the earliest? Fakes are afact of life from condoms to cartier .But what really iirritates me on our scene is the lack of transparency[no honesty].   Pages an pages of ;;2nd press, 2nd issue, white label demo ,test press, audition copy, acetate, etc, etc,  Why not just say "its a ffffffake! I know im a niave arse but ihad to get  it off my chest [note to diary should not visit numero uno soul site after a litre of Cruzcampo and Absolute.

Social source share

Hi,amigos, the eternal problem of bootleg,as mr pinch says Otis is stolen! Asa motown maniac just picked up some Tiawanese Mr Gordy counterfiets from 1960s,the earliest? Fakes are afact of life from condoms to cartier .But what really iirritates me on our scene is the lack of transparency[no honesty].   Pages an pages of ;;2nd press, 2nd issue, white label demo ,test press, audition copy, acetate, etc, etc,  Why not just say "its a ffffffake! I know im a niave arse but ihad to get  it off my chest [note to diary should not visit numero uno soul site after a litre of Cruzcampo and Absolute.

You're absolutely right. Trouble is, counterfeited goods advertised as FAKE just won't sell so they're called second issue or something similarly deceptive. The problem really occurs when a seller omits to state a record is either an original or a second issue when it is known there are two variants. Sad state of affairs that this hobby of ours has been hi-jacked by fraudsters who pay no royalties and give record trading a bad name.

Social source share

The label on my copy is more of an orangey brown as opposed to the more yellow colour of the Boot also the label on my copy is bang on central without the word Row being chopped by the center hole. The numbers in the run out are 2349-1, the edge of the disc is square not pointed.

Can anyone verify this info at all as to its authenticity  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The label on my copy is more of an orangey brown as opposed to the more yellow colour of the Boot also the label on my copy is bang on central without the word Row being chopped by the center hole. The numbers in the run out are 2349-1, the edge of the disc is square not pointed.

That's an original.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jesus, look at all the crappy '2nd presses' on that site, how depressing

Christ, is there anything they're selling that isn't a shitty bootleg?

Social source share

It was only booted recently so it`s really obvious......and it`s the only boot of it as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!