Promoters Booking Events At Other Promoters Venues. Is This Right?

Soulie8

Can someone explain to me where is the etiquette nowadays on the soul scene. I can not understand why a promoter feels the need to go behind existing promoter of a venue, and book and advertise on here forthcoming event in March 2015. Does this promoter have no morals and common decency but just an eye for being greedy or to gain a monopoly of the scene!! The venue currently has an excellent attendance month in month out and has previously run all nighters and New Years Eve events. Is this really on to be so blatant as to try and "muscle" in on other venues because they are already successful. In my day this would never have happened so why is it allowed to happen now? Surely some stance needs to be made on this topic and their current venues should be vetoed  with "stay away" and "non attendance"and nobody should attend their venues, until they do the decent thing and cancel and withdraw from the venue, and leave it to the existing promoter!!Your comments would be welcome on this point or is it just going to be allowed to happen!! 

Do you mean that someone is promoting a new event at a venue where there is already an established event running? 

Social source share

This Promoter doesn't think twice about putting all-nighters on to clash with already established events, but this goes a step too far and all done out of pure greed. As for Jez he turned up yesterday to be told it was happening, said promoter has promised to pack it to the rafters not that it's quiet now.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Venues clashing?? Never heard of such a thing! On a more serious note it would be helpful for any prospective promoter

to look up the efforts of Misters Rimmer and Earnshaw in setting out their venue planner.

I would assume you are talking of oldies nights/nighters, in that case your concern is one thats been ongoing for years,

same old same old really... sometimes two and three do's on in the same town

Social source share

Venues clashing?? Never heard of such a thing! On a more serious note it would be helpful for any prospective promoter

to look up the efforts of Misters Rimmer and Earnshaw in setting out their venue planner.

I would assume you are talking of oldies nights/nighters, in that case your concern is one thats been ongoing for years,

This is at the same venue bud

Steve

Social source share

No we're talking about a so called big promoter going into an already established venue and promising the owner the world to get in there to put his own night on

Social source share

I think this is a case of the venue owner offering an All Nighter to one promoter and the All Dayer to another...edging is bets so to speak. Clearly a recipe for disaster. And with Chris running Keele down the road, quite why he's even interested in the Box is beyond me.

Hopefully he will take my advice and pull out. He's not on SS by the way.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's our understanding Chris Burton was offered the venue for an All Nighter as the owner isn't too happy with the current promoter.

As a long standing event organiser, I have advised Chris to pull away from the venue and leave them to it!

For the record, Goldsoul have no interest in Crewe whatsoever.

With well supported promotions such as the Kings Hall Stoke and Keele and local hits like Crossville and others, the area is well covered at

present.

Different to what the owner has said

Social source share

Chris Burton had previously commented whilst attending one of the Sunday Soul sessions how well supported and how good the venue was. He should not have even been in contact with the owner. Goldsoul can I take your comments as an assurance that you will be pulling out of running a venue at The Box? Is that correct? If that is the case you have done the decent thing and well done

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi kev if gold soul have no interest in the box how come it is advertised on your Gold Soul events page

Where? It's not on our website and never has been!

Chris isn't on Soul Source and I uploaded it for him, like I would do say Keele or the Torch reunion(btw great to see it back in Tunstall)

Chris is a friend of ours and I support him on his Torch events, however I'm not with the Box debacle and offered my advice to him by saying 'walk away'.....for which I'm sure he will do.

Social source share

Chris Burton had previously commented whilst attending one of the Sunday Soul sessions how well supported and how good the venue was. He should not have even been in contact with the owner. Goldsoul can I take your comments as an assurance that you will be pulling out of running a venue at The Box? Is that correct? If that is the case you have done the decent thing and well done

Goldsoul is not involved at the Box and NEVER WILL BE! Good luck to all concerned!

Social source share

The owner wants Chris Burton in....make no mistake about that! I have told Chris....leave em to it and walk away. Hardly the greatest promotion in the world and not even No.1 in Crewe.

I've known Ray a few years now and he wouldn't even know Who Chris Burton is

Social source share

Does he post? Has he forgotten(he's 74 you know ha!). He asked us to upload and we obliged, as we do for Keele sometimes and the Torch Reunion.

Thanks for advising, I can now send the old dear the link.

I only noticed because he was on earlier LOL

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Labeat the music policy has always been across the board at The Box and a lot of the top DJ's have graced the decks. Nige Brown,Sean Chapman just to name two. The place is usually has a packed dance floor so they must be doing something right.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

lets just hope common sense prevails two of the biggest names promoting northern soul in the country and very good at it they are. chris is also a friend of mine so lets hope he does the decent thing and backs off.i had the same thing happen to me at a venue and was gutted so I know how jezz feels come on guys leave us small fry alone its only our hobby you cant have it all!

Social source share

Chris Burton doesn't give a shit who he clashes with.

He put on Worcester allniter clashing  with Chris Watermans long running NCS the other week but this takes it to another level.

Social source share

lets just hope common sense prevails two of the biggest names promoting northern soul in the country and very good at it they are. chris is also a friend of mine so lets hope he does the decent thing and backs off.i had the same thing happen to me at a venue and was gutted so I know how jezz feels come on guys leave us small fry alone its only our hobby you cant have it all!

I just heard from him and he informs he's pulling out. A statement will be posted shortly.

Common sense has prevailed, however knowing what bit I do know about the venue, the owner did want CB in as a promoter. Over and out. Peace!

Social source share

Labeat the music policy has always been across the board at The Box and a lot of the top DJ's have graced the decks. Nige Brown,Sean Chapman just to name two. The place is usually has a packed dance floor so they must be doing something right.

Well thats good, i honestly had never heard of the place, last time i did a nighter in Crewe it was two floors with dj situated in a boothe in the middle of dancefloor :)

Social source share

I'm more astounded that Chris still wants to promote at 74! No wonder it's turned into a right old Saga!

Apologies.....only posting to get my promotional signature on what looks to be a busy thread .....

You will have to have a pow wow with all the other promoters now mate  :wicked: Was that subtle enough  :D

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well thats good, i honestly had never heard of the place, last time i did a nighter in Crewe it was two floors with dj situated in a boothe in the middle of dancefloor :)

Yes I went there too That was " The Junction" now it is a snooker hall just up the road from The Box
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A statement will be posted shortly.

Hi Kev,

I'm now expecting the Prime Minister :D

Ref the first post - A shame etc, but not surprising nowadays.

I hope it all works out ok.

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

All Chris seems to have done since reappearing is piss off other promoters. He just doesn't seem to give a f*** about anyone or anything else.

Agreed Chalky!! Nuff said needs to look at his diary more carefully because all next year has made a concerted beeline to put his "Torch Events" to clash the same days with long running likewise events.
Social source share

Agreed Chalky!! Nuff said needs to look at his diary more carefully because all next year has made a concerted beeline to put his "Torch Events" to clash the same days with long running likewise events.

Hang on though.....he's every right to promote Torch events. He's back in its original town- Tunstall with a specially themed Torch only event. As the former owner I think the public deserve a more authentic look and feel instead of third division copycat promoters riding on his back.

The Torch is Chris Burton. Accept no substitute.

Credit where credits due.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

The Torch is Chris Burton.

...and I thought it was a carpark...... :wink:

An interesting post though Kev.....do you not feel those that attended and danced, the DJs and the music they played, alongside the building and atmosphere created play as an important role in the legacy of such venues as the promoter?

A serious question btw.....except for the first line of course!

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Hang on though.....he's every right to promote Torch events. He's back in its original town- Tunstall with a specially themed Torch only event. As the former owner I think the public deserve a more authentic look and feel instead of third division copycat promoters riding on his back.

The Torch is Chris Burton. Accept no substitute.

Credit where credits due.

Totally agree, the Golden Torch was on HOSE STREET..... Accept "NO" Substitute :wicked:

Social source share

Never heard of "The Box", may i ask the music policy?

The box is a special protective measure used by cricketers to protect a sensative area; after a few hours exercise in hot weather they start to smell a bit ripe.

Are we talking about protecting the same area?

As for the protected area, without the box the music could go up a couple of octaves. :yes: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share