Promoters Booking Events At Other Promoters Venues. Is This Right?

Soulie8

Hang on though.....he's every right to promote Torch events. He's back in its original town- Tunstall with a specially themed Torch only event. As the former owner I think the public deserve a more authentic look and feel instead of third division copycat promoters riding on his back.

The Torch is Chris Burton. Accept no substitute.

Credit where credits due.

Kev. With respect do you count yourself in there :g: . You used to run torch nights at the kings hall  :yes:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally, I think the promoter glues it all together, but the rest makes it what it is.....after all, that would be like saying 'Keele is Neil Clowes'.....(except it's now Chris Burton)...... :wicked:

I think Keele is Neil Clowes and probably always will be. Chris is merely keeping it all going.
Social source share

The box is a special protective measure used by cricketers to protect a sensative area; after a few hours exercise in hot weather they start to smell a bit ripe.

Are we talking about protecting the same area?

As for the protected area, without the box the music could go up a couple of octaves. :yes:

And silly me thought it meant "Knock it into the box" for the big No 9 :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agreed he has the right to promote Torch events as he was the owner and all credit to him. Where was he 6 years ago when the scene and all the old Torch regulars, were crying out for a torch themed music night. Eventually this was provided by ex Torch regulars getting together once a year which to me was truly authentic. None of the people who arranged the reunion nights claim to be anything more than ex Torch punters Are you saying that the ex Torch punters are Third rate substitutes? It is nothing more than a gathering of old Torch regulars and ALL THE DAYS proceeds go to worthy charities. My point was there is room for Chris to do his thing,and others to do theirs, but why does he feel the need to arrange his nights on exactly the same day. Is this coincidental or a mistake. I am sure many people would like to attend both venues but this just deprives them of the opportunity.

As I understand he's doing 4 a year at the Floral Hall Tunstall. As for date clashing I cannot see how he is clashing with anyone. He's doing an authentic Torch theme and as the former owner, he has every right to. And judging by his first one which sold out a few weeks ago and isn't on until Jan 24th, I would say fans have bought into the promotion.

Social source share

Has the current promoter of 'The Box' ever screwed another venue over after having made promises that he wouldn't put on a competing niter for example?

I ask the question because there has been such a noise about a possible competition that I wondered just how ethical the current promoter is. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The current promoter is one of the most decent guys on the scene, and if I recall right has  had a lot to do with previous torch reunions . I have been at this venue when Chris Burton has flyered his events and was made to feel most welcome by all. Talk about sh***ing on your own doorstep !

And  what do the booked dj's have to say, because the current promoter is one ! Or is it money over morals?

Social source share

The current promoter is one of the most decent guys on the scene, and if I recall right has had a lot to do with previous torch reunions . I have been at this venue when Chris Burton has flyered his events and was made to feel most welcome by all. Talk about sh***ing on your own doorstep !

And what do the booked dj's have to say, because the current promoter is one ! Or is it money over morals?

The Box promoter cannot promote Torch Reunions. That's why he's titled his CO72.

Chris is out of the Box as advised. A wise move.

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Good to see that common sense has prevailed, but I do wonder if the out come would have been the same if folk had not threatened to boycott the events of those allegedly involved 

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Shades of The Queens Burslem and the Kings Hall Stoke spring to mind.

Please elaborate as I am slightly confused what the The Queens Hall Burslem and The Kings Hall Stoke have anything to do with the issue being discussed on this thread

Social source share

It's our understanding Chris Burton was offered the venue for an All Nighter as the owner isn't too happy with the current promoter.

As a long standing event organiser, I have advised Chris to pull away from the venue and leave them to it!

For the record, Goldsoul have no interest in Crewe whatsoever.

With well supported promotions such as the Kings Hall Stoke and Keele and local hits like Crossville and others, the area is well covered at

present.

Well said Kev. Good to see there are principled figures on the scene. Sounds like the venue owner should have a chat with the current promoter to help smoth things over.

Social source share

Chris Burton doesn't give a shit who he clashes with.

He put on Worcester allniter clashing  with Chris Watermans long running NCS the other week but this takes it to another level.

This is not on. It is unethical and unnecessary. Too many events in a locality at the same time only undermines the attendance at all of them. Surely it makes sense to plan accordingly without rocking then boat.

Social source share

Please elaborate as I am slightly confused what the The Queens Hall Burslem and The Kings Hall Stoke have anything to do with the issue being discussed on this thread

I'm sure that Kev is referring to the fact that Chris Burton eventually went into the Queens Hall as well........ :wicked:

Come to think of it, are there any venues in Stoke that ain't been used for Torch Revival Nights..... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did we fail....?

I know I moved on cus I couldn't work with certain members of staff at the venue......the 4 promotions I was involved with were very successful.

The manager asked me countless times to return, even when Chris Burton moved in......I could probably return tomorrow if I wanted.....

Were you not involved with Chris at this venue and why did Chris Burton move away from the venue?

Ha ha....comedy gold!

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Did we fail....?

I know I moved on cus I couldn't work with certain members of staff at the venue......the 4 promotions I was involved with were very successful.

The manager asked me countless times to return, even when Chris Burton moved in......I could probably return tomorrow if I wanted.....

Where you not involved with Chris at this venue and why did Chris Burton move away from the venue?

Ha ha....comedy gold!

More than happy to see you take on the Kings Hall again.

Social source share

If you decide to carry on with the Kings/Queens, can we take it to PMs please, Ta.

If you wish to start a thread about clashing venues, have at it, otherwise back on topic please chaps.

If the next couple of posts aren't back on topic, then the thread will be locked...

have re-opened for other members to reply/post 

will close for good in 12 hours   :thumbsup:

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This is not on. It is unethical and unnecessary. Too many events in a locality at the same time only undermines the attendance at all of them. Surely it makes sense to plan accordingly without rocking then boat.

It would be good for promoters to receive memo's from the scenes Union (do we have one?) Until that time RESPECT THE ESTABLISHED VENUES!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM seems like someone has not been very truthful here, Jez had a call last night from a well respected DJ & Record Dealer to say he had an email from you Kev stating you were doing an All-Nighter at the box and would he take charge of the Modern room, we are trying to get a copy of the email from this DJ.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM seems like someone has not been very truthful here, Jez had a call last night from a well respected DJ & Record Dealer to say he had an email from you Kev stating you were doing an All-Nighter at the box and would he take charge of the Modern room, we are trying to get a copy of the email from this DJ.

Email....on behalf of Chris Burton. He doesn't know those DJ's.

I think you'll find the owner of the Box is none too happy over all this and emails confirm he wanted Chris in as the All Nighter promoter.

I have been more than decent in making CB walk away. However, the venue and Jez Jones looks like a marriage made in hell!

Social source share

The Golden 101, on 09 Dec 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

I think you'll find the owner of the Box is none too happy over all this and emails confirm he wanted Chris in as the All Nighter promoter.

I have been more than decent in making CB walk away. However, the venue and Jez Jones looks like a marriage made in hell!

Why do you say that? That's hardly being decent now is it.

:huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why would a promoter trying to organise a Torch revival want a DJ to run a modern room, or am I missing something?

Steve- Chris wasn't planning a Torch revival. He has a separate venue for his themed promotions at the Floral Hall, Tunstall.

The Box issue came about when the owner of said venue specifically requested him in to promote All Nighters at the venue. Clearly playing two promoters off against each other.

Jez Jones(conspicuous by his absence) did speak to Chris Burton and exchanged emails before this all blew up yesterday.

Social source share

Steve- Chris wasn't planning a Torch revival. He has a separate venue for his themed promotions at the Floral Hall, Tunstall.

The Box issue came about when the owner of said venue specifically requested him in to promote All Nighters at the venue. Clearly playing two promoters off against each other.

Jez Jones(conspicuous by his absence) did speak to Chris Burton and exchanged emails before this all blew up yesterday.

Thanks for that Kev.  Second time this year that the Box has been the subject of discussion due to "misunderstandings".  Should be renamed Pandora's Box.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it was on behalf of Chris why would it say you are doing an All-Nighter at the Box

Goldsoul has no interest in promoting at a venue like the Box. First of all it isn't good enough for our model.

Chris Burton is a long standing friend who was totally encouraged by the venue owner to promote there(FACT). Thankfully common sense has prevailed.

Jez Jones and his supporters can happily enjoy the venue. Business as usual. Good luck to the Box, Crewe!

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

The Box is probably one of the best venues in the north west, closest thing to the original wheel imho

Don't get out much then stew ?

Social source share

To be honest, I would be having words with the venue owner. To me it's his fault that this is happening, not another promoter. If the venue owner was happy with his lot, then he wouldn't be accepting bookings from another promoter.

When I was running Burnley, I know for a fact that other so called "mates" tried to book the venue without approaching me. But because the venue owner was a decent bloke he wouldn't entertain them. If he had I would have walked away, simple as that.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

. Jez Jones is one of the nicest... honest.... humble Promoters you could meet and a lot of people will support him... Especially now that he is on his own.  The.Last session I went to on a Sunday place was well busy and that was because Jez was running it... .Disgusting behaviour .  pure greed. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Labeat the music policy has always been across the board at The Box and a lot of the top DJ's have graced the decks. Nige Brown,Sean Chapman just to name two. The place is usually has a packed dance floor so they must be doing something right.

what top dj,s have been on....just asking?

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

what top dj,s have been on....just asking?

off the top of my head Brian Rae, Paul Shirley, Casper, Ted Massey, Nige Brown, Sean Chapman, Little Scotty, Rob Smith.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

I must admit this thread appears to be more about confused people with only half the information jumping to conclusions and being critical of Chris for considering a request from a venue owner. If a venue owner asks a promoter to take on an event, that promoter would be reasonable in seeking the advise of friends before jumping in at the deep end. That is a summary of the thread as best as I can understand it. 

If the venue owner is unhappy with the current promoter or is looking to add or change the event that is not the fault of Chris or Kev.

Chris contacted Kev for advice before proceeding, that advice was to leave well alone and Chris has taken that advice.

The name calling strikes me as unreasonable in those circumstances and feel Chris and Kev have been abused even though they did the right thing. 

I sincerely hope those who criticised Chris apologise for erroneously jumping to conclusions and sounding off.

Edited by mellorful
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I must admit this thread appears to be more about confused people with only half the information jumping to conclusions and being critical of Chris for considering a request from a venue owner. If a venue owner asks a promoter to take on an event, that promoter would be reasonable in seeking the advise of friends before jumping in at the deep end. That is a summary of the thread as best as I can understand it. 

If the venue owner is unhappy with the current promoter or is looking to add or change the event that is not the fault of Chris or Kev.

Chris contacted Kev for advice before proceeding, that advice was to leave well alone and Chris has taken that advice.

The name calling strikes me as unreasonable in those circumstances and feel Chris and Kev have been abused even though they did the right thing. 

I sincerely hope those who criticised Chris apologise for erroneously jumping to conclusions and sounding off.

And here's the best bit of all.........Chris was still being offered the venue even TODAY!

Social source share