Promoters Booking Events At Other Promoters Venues. Is This Right?

Soulie8

As far as record sales go you are right that it isn't as great as it was....

ATB, Neil

Consistently busy record bars in both rooms of Lifeline & Pow Wow........I suppose you need to keep the collectors interested cus if they attend, so will the record dealers....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is not on. It is unethical and unnecessary. Too many events in a locality at the same time only undermines the attendance at all of them. Surely it makes sense to plan accordingly without rocking then boat.

Worcester is 137 miles away and does not have any effect on Chris Waterman`s excellent promotions

Social source share

Hi Chris my name is vinny by the way not Winnie lol...the proud founder of the box Crewe and was former promoter who did all of the work and booked all the DJs etc and hardly made any money for all this shit not like you greedy big fookers.... :yes:  Now then you have bought my name into this why I wonder....You talk of an ill campaign against you lol you need talk Chris ...you know the truth why I left the box in the conversation we had at my cousins factory colin pulizzi the one who sells tickets for you .... 2 months ago etc as I told you to your face in front of him why I left the box it was regarding something personal... I hope soul stew Jez Jones,s  son in law Paul dale  ... Plus I also hope the other Djs I booked and the people / friends that know the TRUE score come on here and confirm I walked out due to my personal life by which I was totally humiliated by a certain few people the cheating the shite politics and backstabbing which has ruined this scene and made most of us fall out and enemies...so now as for you to put on here that I got KICKED OUT of the box ! Chris is totally out of order ! as well as a total lie and for the record I was asked by the owner of the box Ray brucez to start another Sunday / event on my own with a new team etc 2 days after I WALKED OUT on the Sunday session 3months ago

before you lol ...but I never even replied back to him ... As due to him ray the owner and jez Jones conspiring I would never walk back in the place again regarding issues on who I let in the venue and regarding my personal life as I said before etc ... I'm a believer that the promoter has the right to refuse admission! But moving on  I'm sorry to say even though I will miss it and most of the great crowd that attended from all over the uk...it is a great unique authentic venue  which I am proud of to have found and started....And as for Certain promoters who fookin think they are God and think there event is the greatest in the world way above others with some certain Djs who were no where 5 years ago lol should know better by trying to rubbish the box and another promoter/s venues etc ...well that one word comes to mind and speaks for itself?..but on the positive side lets  just say from now on for me I dictate my own decisions and events on my own with no interference from no one.... With new future events to come :yes: I would also like to add for the record that these certain so called top Djs were wanting to do a spot at the box always and were raving over it always how good it was but were eventually nudged to stop djing for us by a certain top promoter as it was getting very popular but these so called top Djs will never be needed by me again there's loads better out there lol he can keep em and always remember what goes around will always come around ! merry Xmas to all and hopefully peace ..... By the way Chris did a certain Someone tell you about the floral hall in TUNSTALL too that I was going to book it for a Sunday session 7 mths ago before you lol mmmmmmmm I wonder  :thumbup: ... Hope to see you at the cobridge t/a. s o t allnighter sat dec 20th with your flyers :D  ... regards vince

Hi Vinny apologies for spelling your name wrong, the kicked out story came from Jez .. See you December 20th, Have a good one   Chris

Social source share

Well said Paul. This stuff is going on all the time believe me. At one time I was more or less told to change my dates because my nighter was on the same weekend as another that was 120 miles away. Mine was on a Friday night theirs was on the Saturday. I kid you not. And I bloody did it, because if you offend some of these people, they will set everyone against you. 

I would never promote anything on this scene again. The bitterness and hatred that exists is beyond belief.

If only people knew phil,ive had every stunt you can think of pulled on me[and pulled a few myself] and still made my venues a success.Why this shocks anyone is beyond me there are no good guys,just good venues and bad venues.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is all very distasteful. Out of RESPECT I have refrained from posting on this thread. Its all too easy to get embroiled in a 'feeding frenzy' that can unfortunately cause hurt to peoples feelings AND  be used unscrupulously to further 'agendas' that some may have

From a PERSONAL point of view Chris is held in high esteem by me and many others...because of the 'Hose st' link and that is a nostalgic moment in time that a lot of us of a certain age , have many fond memories

Fast forward to 2014.........oh how those times have changed in the cut throat world of the 'professional promoter and how social media can 'influence'

Myself along with countless others are 'gullty' if thats the correct word, of consistently using it to persuade, cajole, influence people to attend their venue..that said it doesn't need me to tell you...the dangers of how it can have repercussions that go far far beyond.....snipes and jibes aimed at discreditng people..

So Chris has come on here and presented a version of the 'tale' as HE sees it...this can now be read into, disected, analysed, concluded upon etc......which brings me on to my original point...out of RESPECT I have refrained from commenting because 'dirty laundry' as it were should not be aired on a public forum because of the tendency of it to become a trial by internet...

I hope NOT to have to revisit this topic again and again ....I like many many others of you must surely have more pressing matters especially at this time of year with Xmas coming........

What follows will be my 'take' on Chris Burton's posting..Excuse the capIta.ls as I feel to properly reply as it were...my comments need to stand out from the existing text

Hi Mace  good to hear from you. Basically Jez introduced me to the owner the Sunday that the owner kicked Winnie out of THE bOX

WRONG.....FACTUALLY INCORRECT n.b. ANY ISSUES  BETWEEN VINCE,MYSELF AND THE BOX ARE EXACTLY THAT 

and he asked me if I would take the Sunday sessions at The Box

WRONG...FACTUALLY INCORRECT...I DID INTRODUCE CHRIS TO THE VENUE OWNER AFTER CHRIS TOLD ME ABOUT HIS OTHER .VENTURES N TO PROMOTING LIVE 'TRIBUTE' BANDS....THE BOX IS FAMED FOR HOSTING LOTS OF THESE EVENTS AND OUT OF RESPECT TO CHRIS I INTRODUCED HIM TO THE VENUE OWNER WITH SPECIFIC INTENTIONS.THEY EXCHANGED PLEASANTRIES AND CONTACT DETAILS WITH A VIEW TO FURTHERING THEIR LIAISON..AND SHARE EXPERIENCE.. OVER PROMOTING THE LIVE BANDS........END OF

HE CATEGORICALLY DID NOT....ASK CHRIS TO TAKE THE SUNDAY SESSIONS AT THE BOX. AN ODD CLAIM IN ITSELF CONSIDERING THEY HAD ONLY JUST MET..AND THE VENUE OWNER HAS NO IDEA OF NS HISTORY ETC ETC

, I told the owner in front of Jez that I could not be involved

WRONG..FACTUALLY INCORRECT ..REFER TO MY ABOVE RESPONSE

however Jez and I had several discussions ,

WRONG..FACTUALLY INCORRECT...WE HAD ONE DISCUSSION FACE TO FACE...(ALL OTHER SUBSEQUENT CONTACT I'VE HAD WITH CHRIS HAS BEEN VIA TEXT WHICH I STILL RETAIN)

in terms of how we could increase the numbers from the 60 that were attending at that time

WRONG...FACTUALLY INCORRECT...NOW AM I TO TAKE THIS AS A 'ROYAL' WE.......BECAUSE THIS INFERS THAT I AM INCLUDING CHRIS IN FUTURE EXPANSION PLANS...WHEREBY CHRIS CLEARLY STATES IN HIS POSTING LATER ON... I HAD NO INTEREST IN INVOLVING HIM ....I AM TAKEN ABACK BY CHRIS'S ABILITY TO COUNT/JUDGE NUMBERS ATTENDING ON THE DAY...I SUPPOSE THAT COMES WITH EXPERIENCE.....ITS INCORRECT..... AGAIN.....BUT ITS ASTONISHING NONETHELESS

I suggest later on that Saturday All nighters might help to raise the profile of the venue,

CORRECT..ALTHOUGH ITS HARDLY GROUNDBREAKING NEWS...AND CERTAINLY NOT WORTHY OF MENTION IN THIS CONTEXT (HAVING SAID THAT I MAY HAVE RESPONDED ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY IN STAGING AN ALLNIGHTER IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE DUE TO CLASHES )...AS THE BOX HAS RUN SEVERAL ALLNIGHTERS IN THE PAST.

I proposed a deal to Jez

WRONG..FACTUALLY INCORRECT.I SAID IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME PUT A 'SOUL NIGHT' ON HERE  WOULD BE HAPPY TO DISCUSS THAT IN THE NEW YEAR...NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS...A DISCUSSION...CHRIS SEEMED DISINTERESTED AND IT WENT NO FURTHER

and he stated  that he wanted to proceed doing it his way

CORRECT ....AND AT THIS POINT YOU WOULD THINK THAT IS THE END OF THE MATTER

.  Moving on several weeks the owner contacted me to advise me that he had agreed with Jez

CANNOT COMMENT ON THIS...OBVIOUSLY I WASN'T THERE.....ALTHOUGH I HAVE CONTINUALLY EMPHASISED MY COMMITMENT TO THE SUNDAY SESSIONS

that Jez quite rightly wanted to continue with his Sundays

CORRECT..IN 100 PER CENT AGREEMENT

and that he has reached agreement with Jez that I could assist with 2 all- nighters a year

WRONG ..FACTUALLY INCORRECT....AT NO TIME DID I AGREE TO CHRIS ASSISTING ME WITH ANY ALLNIGHTERS...EVER

a position that I thought would work because Jez had agreed

REFER TO MY ABOVE STATEMENT

, I now realise that Jez had not been informed until last Sunday

CORRECT ....AT 5.30PM APPROX DURING A BUSY 2 ROOMED EVENT....I WAS INFORMED BY THE VENUE OWNER THAT CHRIS WAS GOING TO DO 2 ALLNIGHTERS...AND IMPOTRTANTLY EMPHASISED THIS IS ....TBC       AND THAT WE(ME AND HIM) NEED TO DISCUSS ALTERNATIVE DATES...........................THIS IS CENTRAL TO EVERYTHING !! THE MIGHTY WHEELS OF GOLDSOLE PROMOTIONS MOVED SWFTLY INTO PLAY ON SUNDAY AS A NEW PROMOTION OF 2 ALLNIGHTERS (DATES AND EXISTENCE OF......I WAS UNAWARE OF) BECAME INCREASINGLY  A REALITY

SO.....IF CHRIS WAS 'BROUGHT IN TO ASSIST ;LIKE THE TROUBLESHOOTER JOHN HARVEY JONES,  

1) WHY DIN'T CHRIS MAKE CONTACT WITH ME...DID HE NOT THINK HE NEEDED TO....SURELY IF YOU ARE ;BROUGHT IN....THE FIRST ETHICAL THING TO DO IS  CONTACT THE EXISTING ENCUMBENT TO DISCUSS THE FUTURE WAY FORWARD. I HAVE AN AUDIT TRAIL OF TEXTS FROM CHRIS....SADLY GIVING NO INDICATION OF HIS PROMOTIONS

2) I AM AT A LOSS IN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND GOLDSOLE( SHALL COME TO THIS RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM)....... INVOLVEMENT IN ALL THIS...WHO IS/WAS RUNNING THIS..ITS ALL VERY CONFUSUNG....JUST WHO IS THE MAIN STAKEHOLDER IN THIS

3) CHRIS HAS RIGHTLY STATED....I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS TILL SUNDAY AND BECAUSE OF THIS...IT TRANSPIRES THAT CHRIS HAS RESPECTFULLY DUE TO THE CIRCUMSTANCES REJECTED ANY OFFER 

IS/WAS THIS IN FACT A 'HOSTILE TAKOVER'  ?

, I commenced advertising on facebook yesterday not knowing what had actually happened

CORRECT..CHRIS DID COMMENCE ADVERTISING....HOWEVER CLAIMS OF NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE LEAD UP TO THIS....IS A POOR EXCUSE....AS A PROFESSIONAL PROMOTER ITS YOUR JOB TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT A PLANNED EVENT...INCLUDING PREVIOUS HISTORY AND MORE IMPORTANT;Y THE HUMAN ASPECT.....WHO AM I AFFECTING BY DOING THS...ARE MY ACTIONS GOING TO CAUSE ANYONE ANY PROBLEMS....SURELY  THESE ARE CONSIDERATIONS..........WILL THIS ENHANCE MY BUSINESS....WILL THIS AFFECT OTHER BUSINESSES.... ETC ETC

, when I was aware of what had happed I immediately withdrew

CORRECT

my advertising, cancelled the flyers and tickets for March 14th

WHAT?...A DIRECT QUESTION TO CHRIS.........WAS THIS DONE PRIOR TO ANY SO CALLED AGREEMENT??.....SURELY NOT 

and informed the owner that I could not be involved due to the circumstances that had presented them selves

SO AGAIN A QUESTION TO CHRIS...CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT THE PLANNED MEETING YOU HAVE WITH THE VENUE OWNER TODAY...WILL NO  LONGER TAKE PLACE

The owner had confirmed all the key points I have referred to me in writing 

I CAN'T COMMENT....I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY CONTRACTUAL OR OTHERWISE... AGREEMENTS YOU HAVE RECIEVED

and if this  ill informed campaign against me does not stop I will take the legal action to stop it.

I have done my very best within the soul scene for over 40 years and 

my reputation is still very important to me and thanks to the support given to me I hope to continue to do so for a few more years 

THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING..AS IS MINE

Now I said I would get back to goldsole at the bottom

Firstly Golden 101...who is this?

Are you a representative of goldsole promotions ?

Are you in fact Kev Roberts ? i found all this pseudonym nonsense very silly ?

If you are in fact Kev Roberts...then take heed

This is a thread of a very sensitive nature and as Chris rightly states reputations can be harmed and irreperrable 'collateral' human costs are at risk

I find you're flippant and almost blase comments are at best inflaming a sensitive subject..and at worst a thinly veiled personal attack on me and valued friends of mine. Ether way you clearly have no constructive part to play in this debate

So can I respectfully ask you to stop now.....you are becoming tiresome

..and the random rantings of an AGEING IMPRESSARIO.  is surely an image you dont want to cultivate

I can do no more but wait.............

Can I just say a BIG thanks to all the messages of support I've received from all the  promoters, who have similar tales to tell of bully boy tactics and underhand dealngs( keep strong you lot.....you can shape the future of the scene YOUR EVENTS ARE IMPORTANT TO US...THE SCENE NEEDS YOU),.........and from the many decent and honest soulies out there who are week in week out supporting venues and events.... enjoying the scene, never involving themselves in stupid and destructive politics  and underpininng what is a great scene... BE THE BEST YOU CAN

...Be honest with people and show respect ...they tend to like it

Hi Jez  Your comments are  Cleary at odds with the facts and I am not going to write any further comments, as your memory does not recall the facts as they were.

I have a memo from Ray the owner of the venue to confirm the arrangement he had made with you in respect of his future policy requirement's and that memo clearly states you had agreed to his proposals, when I was informed that it was not the situation I immediately withdrew from the promotion, cancelled the tickets and flyers and announced  

the basic facts on facebok with a copy to your self.

I had a meeting today with the owner  of The Box to discuss a series of  promotions that have nothing to do with Northern Soul at all however I was asked again to promote a series of Northern events at The Box I refused to be involved in any Northern Soul events due to the circumstances that have been created  and he accepted my decision.

All The very best to you and The Box with your Northern Soul Sunday promotions

Chris

Edited by Chris Burton
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know Mace, i do go often to LL, i was referring to Burnley :)

I was talking about the fact that I used to provide an area especially for sales with tables/chairs/lighting and power supplies for the sellers. If you don't provide this they won't come. There was never a shortage of vinyl for sale in my day.

I was also saying that there is hardly any seating available now. We struggled to find a seat when I went.

My point being that I put a massive amount of effort into my nighters. And you could hear every word and note of the records being played. I couldn't tell what the **** was being played the other month.

The fact that you and the other patrons of Sean's events think they are fantastic just goes to show how I wasted many hours of time and effort. What a **** I am. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was talking about the fact that I used to provide an area especially for sales with tables/chairs/lighting and power supplies for the sellers. If you don't provide this they won't come. There was never a shortage of vinyl for sale in my day.

I was also saying that there is hardly any seating available now. We struggled to find a seat when I went.

My point being that I put a massive amount of effort into my nighters. And you could hear every word and note of the records being played. I couldn't tell what the **** was being played the other month.

The fact that you and the other patrons of Sean's events think they are fantastic just goes to show how I wasted many hours of time and effort. What a **** I am. 

Different landlord now though. I don't know of any "fantastic" venues Phil, the ones i go to are all good, i thoroughly enjoy them, when you & Karl & Cliff jacked

it didn't go into meltdown, it moved on, yes there was a "blip" when you had a few issues with 1 or 2 North Lanc's lads but honestly mate it's still a great night.

Correct me if i'm wrong but do i detect bitterness?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it's about time some of those shandy drinking southern promoters contributed to this thread....c'mon lads, you've seen virtually every Promoter from the North West have a pop on here.....get on board and get it off your chest! More the merrier I say!

:shhh: Not until I've had at least half a shandy would I talk Mace & it would take so long to finish that half you'll have got bored of waiting. :thumbsup:

Hope you're well mate  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In your own Statement you said you were asked to assist with 2 All-Nighters so why would you go ahead and book DJ's order flyers and tickets without consulting the person you were there to Assist.

That is correct it is the owner who asked me and I a memo from the venue owner with his position clearly stated, at this stage I was under the impression that Jez was aware, it is only when I found out the real facts that I immediately cancelled everything, which I believe was the right thing to do, don't you.

Edited by Chris Burton
Social source share

After reading this thread all i can say is all parties involved seem to be opening windows to escape.A bit more respect, common sense And can I say it Soul searching instead of Egos again. Come on Lads you can all do better than this its not like this unsavoury side of promoting has never been seen before.Its just that the with the Internet Soulies find out a lot quicker and they are quite rightly so entitled to their opinions.Always remember you can only be reasonable with reasonable people.If a Promoter or Venue Provider haven't got that quality there will always be these kind of problems leading to half truths grey areas and. Ultimately unfinished business

Peace On Earth Mick L

Well said Mick ...... Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But then again you didn't book the DJ's because as Kev said in an earlier post he booked them because you don't know the DJ's, which then leads to the question why would you consult Kev but not the person you were supposed to assist

Kev Roberts is a valued friend of mine and he has the knowledge of what DJ`s to book to provide a different nighter  to introduce DJ`s that have not played in the area before, Ray the owner has no knowledge at all in terms of the right DJ`s to book, any input from Kev has been purely advisory and I may say helpful.

Social source share

That is correct it is the owner who asked me and I a memo from the venue owner with his position clearly stated, at this stage I was under the impression that Jez was aware, it is only when I found out the real facts that I immediately cancelled everything, which I believe was the right thing to do, don't you.

So if that's the case Chris, why did you not consult with jezz over DJ's and the like after all he would be the co promoter

Social source share

I for one will not attend this event or any other event the "New Promotor" has, we have actually ripped our Golden Torch Reunion tickets up in disgust

Now that you are  hopefully aware of the true facts I will be more than happy to replace the tickets for Jan 24th for you, let me have your address and the ripped tickets when it is convenient for you..... Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Different landlord now though. I don't know of any "fantastic" venues Phil, the ones i go to are all good, i thoroughly enjoy them, when you & Karl & Cliff jacked

it didn't go into meltdown, it moved on, yes there was a "blip" when you had a few issues with 1 or 2 North Lanc's lads but honestly mate it's still a great night.

Correct me if i'm wrong but do i detect bitterness?

I went to one a few months ago Neil.

I didn't see you there.

It was terrible.

No wonder you like the music there, you can't actually hear it. Bang bang bang. I couldn't believe it.

Why should I be bitter? I couldn't give a monkeys. I just couldn't believe how you lot were biggin' it up, when the sound system is so badly set up.

I only went to listen to Cliff's new plays. Waste of time, couldn't hear a thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If I had been asked to assist in putting 2 All-nighters on, the first thing I would do is contact the current promoter and explain what was going on, how can you say that Jez was out of the picture as a partner when he is the current promoter. what you are saying allegedly is Ray asked you to put on said All-nighters and you went ahead without a thought for the current promoter. very unethical.

Edited by AndyG
Social source share

Phil,the owners have revamped the venue,possibly with others nights in mind.Standing bar tables ,full wooden floor where there was carpet.You now all this.

When you ran Burnley it was top notch. :thumbsup: Sean's got it now and it has to be Sean's way.The same but different. See you there in January.

Sorry for off topic.

In fact,i'm not. In a nutshell tell me wtf is happening.? "kin joke. 

Social source share

I went to one a few months ago Neil.

I didn't see you there.

It was terrible.

No wonder you like the music there, you can't actually hear it. Bang bang bang. I couldn't believe it.

Why should I be bitter? I couldn't give a monkeys. I just couldn't believe how you lot were biggin' it up, when the sound system is so badly set up.

I only went to listen to Cliff's new plays. Waste of time, couldn't hear a thing.

Come on Phil, get down to the next one, you are more than welcome. I was working away when you were last there.

Did you notice the tables had changed from 8ft diameter quarter inch plywood from when u last ran it? :)

Social source share

If I had been asked to assist in putting 2 All-nighters on, the first thing I would do is contact the current promoter and explain what was going on, how can you say that Jez was out of the picture as a partner when he is the current promoter. what you are saying allegedly is Ray asked you to put on said All-nighters and you went ahead without a thought for the current promoter. very unethical.

About as unethical as the 'current' promoter contacting the venue in the last few days to hurriedly try and book a New Years Eve All Nighter.......with the Kings Hall Stoke(just down the road) already advertised a year ago. Who does that? It's certainly not financially motivated....ego however that's a different matter.

Social source share

Yeah people must really be dying to get involved in the scene after reading this...

Is anyone forcing anyone else to log onto this thread?

Anyway Pete, the moderators have continued with it, can't be that boring!

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

About as unethical as the 'current' promoter contacting the venue in the last few days to hurriedly try and book a New Years Eve All Nighter.......with the Kings Hall Stoke(just down the road) already advertised a year ago. Who does that? It's certainly not financially motivated....ego however that's a different matter.

Think you'll find there has been an All-Nighter on New years eve at the Box for a few years now, As you know

Social source share

Why do you have to swear? you know damn well what i'm saying, if you don't like this topic then butt out... simple

Sorry, forgot how ACTIVE on the scene you were, but the day I leave a thread because you tell me to will never happen, so shove your sarcasm up your arse and ignore me.

Social source share

Guys,

Think time has come to call time on this thread now. Can't see anyone benefitting from it's staying live. Parties have put their views across and nothing happening now but carping...and spilling over into other matters, think everyone has had their say on the Box matter, so...let's move on. Topic now closed.

Regards,

Dave

(Mod Team)

• Helpful 3
Social source share