Northern Soul Records That Are Influenced By Better Known Records

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

Any examples?

To kick off, The Brooks Brothers 'Looking for a Woman' is very obviously heavily based on 'Satisfaction' by the Rolling Stones (I'd like to think its the other way round but I doubt it...)

Also that Del Larks cover up 'Just You and I' Butch used to play (can't remember who it is actually by). The intro is 'You Keep me Hanging On' by The Supremes..

Any more?

(Edit: got it Mello Souls)

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

"Little Johnny Hamilton - Oh How I Love You" borrows bits of "Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone" and "Little Tony & Hawks - Give Me Your Sweet Love" borrows from "Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar" and probably the biggest copy is "Intentions - I'm Losing Your love" which borrows from "Capitols - I Got To Handle It" In my opinion

Des 

Social source share

Dream Team - I'm Not Satisfied I've had down as a response to Stones Satisfaction (more Otis version now I think about it), Anna king Mamas got a bag of her own as a response to Papas got a brand new bag

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Any examples?

To kick off, The Brooks Brothers 'Looking for a Woman' is very obviously heavily based on 'Satisfaction' by the Rolling Stones (I'd like to think its the other way round but I doubt it...)

Bobby Womack's Nothing You Can Do actually copies the Satisfaction riff wholesale, as does 7 Dwarfs Stop Girl

Social source share

Marvin Gaye's I'll be Doggone (written by Smokey Robinson I believe) sounds like The Searchers' Needles and Pins.

Dance Little Girl by Clay Hammond also has the "Needles and Pins" riff.

Howard Tate - You're Lookin'Good. The middle eight is lifted from Percy Faith - Theme from a Summer Place.

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

That driving beat sounds like the Rolling Stones 'Satisfaction' in parts.  JJ Jackson 'Sho Nuff Got a Good thing Goin' is almost identical to The Contours 'Just a Little Misundertsanding' but the records have totally different composers on the labels.

Social source share

Another for the "SatisfactIon" group - Clarence Reid - I'm Your Yes Man

A bunch of songs use the similar three descending note and pause intro that was first? used on Jackie Ross's "Selfish One" -  Edwin Starr "SOS", Explosive Dynamiks "Whole Lotta Loving", Purple Mundi "Stop Hurting Me", I think there are more...

Pointed this one before but Gwen Owens "Wanted and Needed" intro takes after the old Stereos doowop record "I really love you".

Thee Midniters "You're Gonna Make Me Cry" is a bit like JJ Jackson's "But It's Alright"

Social source share

Guest son of stan

George McGregor 'Temptation is hard to fight' and the Knight Brothers 'Temptation about to Get Me'.

But getting into soul records that are based on other soulrecords now.

Social source share

Two tracks that seem to have been shamelessly copied a fair few times

"Open The Door To Your Heart" by Eugene Jefferson, Major Burkes and countless others without any acknowledgement in the song writing credits

"Stand By Me" by Little "D" & Harlems, Joe Arnold  and countless others without any acknowledgement in the song writing credits

Des

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

and rolling stones not fade away was a blatent steal from bo diddly

again with no writing credits,

I know this is the wrong way around and not soul but a major black artist

Social source share

Candy and the Kisses - The 81 is pretty much a direct rehash of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - In My Lonely Room.

Vandellas released March 64, Candy and the Kisses Oct 64.

You're right  -- it is -- can't believe I never noticed that one before!!!

Marv Johnson -- Come On and Stop & Roy Hamilton -- She Make Me Wanna Dance are both the same song as Twist and Shout -- Isley Bros, which in turn is really the same song as La Bamba -- Ritchie Valens...

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Buddy Holly cover, who used the classic Bo Diddly riff and made no secret of it.

went to the piccy's in early 80's to watch battle of the giants Bo Diddly n Chuck berry jamming on stage awesome documentary flick.

went back next nite to see it again

Social source share

Here's a few more for the list-

"Baby Reconsider" by Leon Haywood borrows  a lot from  "Just A Little Misunderstanding" by the Contours.

"One In A Million" by Maxine Brown sounds like a slowed down "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder.

"Choppin' Around" by Jimmy Wisner is almost the same song as "Hungry For Love" by the San Remo Strings.

The next two aren't really Northern ...

"Are You Lonely For Me Baby" by Freddie Scott was obviously influenced by "Searchin' For My Love" by Bobby Moore.

"Build Me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations is extremely close to "I'll Turn To Stone" by the Four Tops.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!