$200 Record + $59.85 Usd In Ebay Charges

Ridiculous. I won't touch a record if the buyer is part of that "global shipping programme" where customs charges are included. On a good number of times I've seen customs charges associated with an item that hasn't even been priced high enough to incur those charges. As if the "charge anything you like for postage" syndrome that's now rampant all over eBay isn't enough!

Social source share

Come on Dave you knew all this before you bid ?

Im thinking there may be an opening here for some trustworthy and efficient US based ex-pat to make a few bob as a forwarding service.

Instead of $12 per 45 from each seller it's $23 for 15 x 45s.  A small charge of $20 plus 15 x $5 [sometimes less] for US postage from seller to said ex-pat and buyer is $85 better off plus no customs charges if declared at $1 each to UK.

Drawbacks are you'd have to wait till 15 45s ready to go. Any others ?

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Come on Dave you knew all this before you bid ?

Im thinking there may be an opening here for some trustworthy and efficient US based ex-pat to make a few bob as a forwarding service.

Instead of $12 per 45 from each seller it's $23 for 15 x 45s.  A small charge of $20 plus 15 x $5 [sometimes less] for US postage from seller to said ex-pat and buyer is $85 better off plus no customs charges if declared at $1 each to UK.

Drawbacks are you'd have to wait till 15 45s ready to go. Any others ?

ROD

Sort of my fault as I didn't check to see if he was using Ebays system and then paid off a email link which didn't show the charges until I hit the 'Pay Now' button

Social source share

The seller, who is a buddy in the U.S. is now very embarrassed so he has just rung Ebay, they told him the following 

'The way around it was for the buyer to go into their purchase history, select more actions and in that dropdown "request total" that way it triggers the seller to send an invoice and declare their own shipping cost'

Might help other in the future. I will try it next time..........................

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ridiculous. I won't touch a record if the buyer is part of that "global shipping programme" where customs charges are included. On a good number of times I've seen customs charges associated with an item that hasn't even been priced high enough to incur those charges. As if the "charge anything you like for postage" syndrome that's now rampant all over eBay isn't enough!

It's the total including shipping costs that is used for the duty/vat charge calulations, and as the shipping fee is always inflated when sellers use the global shipping program there are very few records that do not incur said fees in my experience.

Social source share

It's the total including shipping costs that is used for the duty/vat charge calulations, and as the shipping fee is always inflated when sellers use the global shipping program there are very few records that do not incur said fees in my experience.

According to eBay I've bought 75 items this year, and I've not paid these additional charges at point of purchase once. And I've had only one or two items in the last 12 months where the seller has given the full cost of the item on the packet thus requiring me to pay duty on the doorstep. Long may that last!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Dave, you're right, the GSP is real pain and another eBay scam that benefits the middlemen and not the customer. Plenty of us already boycott the sellers that have settled for the dubious practice. The sooner the sellers wake up to the loss of revenue, the better, then we can return to the situation as it used to be, mutually beneficial to vendors and buyers.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Dave, you're right, the GSP is real pain and another eBay scam that benefits the middlemen and not the customer. Plenty of us already boycott the sellers that have settled for the dubious practice. The sooner the sellers wake up to the loss of revenue, the better, then we can return to the situation as it used to be, mutually beneficial to vendors and buyers.

I believe many sellers aren't even fully aware that has Ebay opted them in by default.  I've contacted many sellers to ask them if they'd consider opting out of GSP and who have been non the wiser, in fact have been apologetic when this has been pointed out to them

• Helpful 1
Social source share

According to eBay I've bought 75 items this year, and I've not paid these additional charges at point of purchase once. And I've had only one or two items in the last 12 months where the seller has given the full cost of the item on the packet thus requiring me to pay duty on the doorstep. Long may that last!

Amen to that!  I have one package at the sorting office now waiting for me to pay a £13 charge, £8 of which is the "handling" fee.

Social source share

I believe many sellers aren't even fully aware that has Ebay opted them in by default.  I've contacted many sellers to ask them if they'd consider opting out of GSP and who have been non the wiser, in fact have been apologetic when this has been pointed out to them

Confirming this is a scam, ruse, underhand ploy, deceitful practice, self-serving money spinner, call it what you want...

Social source share

Amen to that!  I have one package at the sorting office now waiting for me to pay a £13 charge, £8 of which is the "handling" fee.

I've had a similar experience, wondered whether I could ask HMRC for a VAT number so at least I wouldn't get clobbered with the £8 fee from the post office. It really hurts with a relatively low value item.

Does the post office aministrator get issued with a mask and pistols as a uniform.

Social source share

I've never nor would ever go anywhere near the Global Shipping System  not only for the fact that it costs a bundle but if EBay run it it's gotta be a disaster waiting to happen.
Nor has ebay ever attempted to opt me in, thank f**k.

In NYC my mailbox is 4x4x12 so its go down the PO and pick it up which was a pain but doable. Until one of the new posties tried to get one in the box, with oomph!!
OOPs.
So now I send them to the Mrs office. If anyone needs to take advantage of that let me know.
Please don't if you buy a gazillion a month, but a few is fine. I'd be glad to send them on when you've got enough to make the mail worth while.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The seller, who is a buddy in the U.S. is now very embarrassed so he has just rung Ebay, they told him the following 

'The way around it was for the buyer to go into their purchase history, select more actions and in that dropdown "request total" that way it triggers the seller to send an invoice and declare their own shipping cost'

Might help other in the future. I will try it next time..........................

If he is a mate get him to cancel the transaction then send him the payment via paypal , split the extra charges so you both are $30 better off

Social source share

On a slightly related note I just sold my first 45 to France for a while and I didn't mark it as needing tracking as it used to be on the E-DELCON list of countries
at EBay.
Not anymore :(
So it had to go off untracked to that pit of "lost " records that is rural France.
Hopefully it will be ok, but here's the deal for those that need to know.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/E-Delcon-NO-longer-supported-by-USPS-except-for-Canada/m-p/23316434#M379025

So I guess one more way they are trying to force people into the Global Rip Off pile

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hitthebongos

Just got whacked with a £24 import charge for 4 records off ebay from gpinsjuks , FFS  why couldn`t the old knob put  $3 dollars each , definately wont be

spending with him again

Social source share

I wanted to bid on a 45 on US ebay and noticed that the shipping cost was $19, I asked the seller in Texas if he could drop it to $12. That would be the usual USPS 1st Class pkg International with E-Delcon Service (Tracking) but he refused and said he only ships with Ebay GPS. All I know is that he lost a sale.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wanted to bid on a 45 on US ebay and noticed that the shipping cost was $19, I asked the seller in Texas if he could drop it to $12. That would be the usual USPS 1st Class pkg International with E-Delcon Service (Tracking) but he refused and said he only ships with Ebay GPS. All I know is that he lost a sale.

He deserved to lose the sale charging excessive postage fees. Ripping off buyers by upping postage charges is poor customer service. Failure to recognise the importance of the UK market is plain stupid. Best to spend the funds on records, not on stamps and bits of cardboard...and eBay postal deductions...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I haven't bought anything on US ebay for over a year now, it was my main source of records. I don't even look anymore.

I would guess that a lot of collectors have done the same.

I'm the same as you, it was a great source for reggae as well but it's been maybe 18 months to 2 years since I bought from USA eBay now

Social source share

I always try to accommodate my UK buyers with my $2-3 values.i don't have many big price records but many nice $8-10 range.add me to your search for your low end musical wants.Occasionally a "biggie" might show up.same username as here....recordsnracin.

Thank you to all my UK buyers and Happy New Year.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for that Dave, as some sellers have told me they can't get round it!. I now have sum amunition.

Andy

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Just recently went after one in the US but lost out due "reserve price" My end costs for GSP and postage would have been an extra $97!

Seller agreed to remove the costs if I'd won the item and sadly I didn't, but no way in a million years could I afford those additional charges. If she could remove that at the end, why opt in, in the first place?

So off putting to all over here and she would have probably reached the reserve, if it weren't for these additional charges.

Social source share

I asked about the postage beforehand on one that was quoting an excess of postage because of GPS and told the seller what I'd have to pay to get it into Spain if I won and he said he'd post it signed for with a low customs declaration if I won, so that he had reassurance that the record arrived, and that I didn't have to pay import duties, so there are nicer dealers out there, just communicate.  On the other hand, had one arrive at my father's house with import duty and handling fee required, so I let it go back to the US and got my money back, it was only a 40$ record, and I could afford to lose that after some of the wonderful bargains I've had over the years.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!