Manhattans' Winfred Blue Lovett And Sonny Bivins R.i.p

Chalky

Winfred "Blue" Lovett, the distinctive bass singer and principal songwriter for the legendary group, The Manhattans, has died at age 74, just a few days after the death of group co-founder Sonny Bivins. Their death brings sad news to fans of one of the greatest soul music vocal groups of our time.

https://www.soultracks.com/story-blue-lovett-dies

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sad, I interviewed Blue Lovett for Black Echoes c.1984. Had to go to his hotel in Newmarket. Lovely guy. At the time he was over at the USAF bases, and his daughter Desi was recording. Might have to play the X rated version of Kiss & Say goodbye Friday….it's Blue Lovett doing the x rated bit. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

One of the finest groups ever, their stuff on Carnival is as good as anything, loved their stuff after that but maybe not as potent after George "Smitty" Smith died in 1970, however, they still knocked out some great stuff. R.I.P. Winfred and Sonny

Kev

Said it all for me Kev

R.I.P.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Always a big fave of mine written by Blue Lovett and with Blue doing the lengthy rap intro

For me a sublime record all round and does for me what only a good soul record and a good woman can

One Life To Live

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!