Scratch/jump Removal On 45

Ady Croasdell

If you still have decent eyesight it's quite easy to do Ady.

All you need is what they call an artists scalpel, and a magnifying glass.

Find the offending scratch and cut it back into the groove.

I'd volunteer but my eyes are shot now unfortunately.  I had about a 4 in 5 success rate.

Social source share

If you still have decent eyesight it's quite easy to do Ady.

All you need is what they call an artists scalpel, and a magnifying glass.

Find the offending scratch and cut it back into the groove.

I'd volunteer but my eyes are shot now unfortunately.  I had about a 4 in 5 success rate.

I knew you'd had experience. If anyone else is a dab hand at it, please volunteer as I wouldn't trust myself on this 45 as my first attempt. I think experience and confidence is the key here, same with brain surgery but not as important.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is a knack to it, ok here it is, gently rub the grooves clockwise with your thumb, secondly, play it on a decent deck(sl1210etc) with a shure m44 cart styli set to 5gram, its enough to "cut thru" the scratch whilst not damaging the record, if its a styrene press, 3 gram, repeat untill success :)

Merry Xmas

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There is a knack to it, ok here it is, gently rub the grooves clockwise with your thumb, secondly, play it on a decent deck(sl1210etc) with a shure m44 cart styli set to 5gram, its enough to "cut thru" the scratch whilst not damaging the record, if its a styrene press, 3 gram, repeat untill success :)

Merry Xmas

Thanks, but surely that would depend on the thickness/nature of the scratch, I think this is quite deep.

Social source share

Thanks, but surely that would depend on the thickness/nature of the scratch, I think this is quite deep.

It's hard to remove a scratch that causes annoying noise like clicks etc.. But pretty easy to remove a jump if it results from a scratch*. Downside is, even though it won't jump anymore it still will have an annoying tick for a few seconds.

* Edit: if jumps comes from a pressing faul (e.g. narrow grooves) I believe there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

I've had some success (thanks to private advice and tuition from boba) but only on my own records. Some have worked a treat and some I've tried like hell but given up on. The only one I did for someone else was only partially successful? I didn't want to go too far and f**k up the 45 completely, so had to stop before that happened?

Echo Benji above on removal of jumps etc but narrow grooves are real tough to sort?

x

Social source share

I've had some joy on removal of scratches on 45's by playing them on my 78 turntable with my 78 stylus which is wider and (if you add a bit of weight) heavier than a 45 set up. I play the scratch through quite a few times and this can rectify the problem by 'widening' the groove and pushing the plastic back into shape. This method is more likely to work if the damage is high in the groove and not at the bottom. Might be worth a go if you have any friends who are 78 enthusiasts - you cannot beat them for sound!

Social source share

It's hard to remove a scratch that causes annoying noise like clicks etc.. But pretty easy to remove a jump if it results from a scratch*. Downside is, even though it won't jump anymore it still will have an annoying tick for a few seconds.

* Edit: if jumps comes from a pressing faul (e.g. narrow grooves) I believe there's nothing you can do about it.

I have one I haven't tried doing anything with yet but will get round to it, otherwise just bin it :(

Social source share

One technique that worked for me is carefully running the record backwards with the needle in the groove carefully turning the turntable by hand.

I'm guessing it was a small piece of dirt in the groove which was flicked out by running the needle backwards over it

Social source share

With the loss of Boba, who would be best to straighten out a scratch on a record that causes a jump please?

Ady

I have a Ambers that used to jump but I played it through about 6 times with a 1 euro cent coin (or was it 2 ?) on the cartridge, plays OK now, slight click but OK for DJ-ing, likewise had a Sandy Wynns that did the same, same coin, played through a few times, seemed to do the trick, is being used around the midlands by a nearly famous DJ as we speak. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Ola Ady, re, vynil scratches/jumps; me of little faith ,too soon was i to dis misseth mi amigos S.s. solutions. ihave found the Holy Grail [as Stella did when she first put the stylus on £10 ,151 pounds of plastico whats 20% so far, per:So;nall:y Iprefer the Mob] Numero Uno Stoke Soul has the answer! Cut thru the jump [he suggested ^gram weight on counterbalance and increase speed to78rpm with sl1210 deck & shure m44 cart] I took his advice; selected four Tops [no the] " Your Song" Calibre 124 U.K Discogs £3.50,Manny sold the 7" for £150 mismo otra vez added  a shot glass reduced terminal velocity too 33&1/3 dragged thru and like Manny &Stella Artois his faithful companion Eureka not a dry trouser in the house! Esplendido the skip has gone its twoooooo!

Social source share

Ola Ady, re, vynil scratches/jumps; me of little faith ,too soon was i to dis misseth mi amigos S.s. solutions. ihave found the Holy Grail [as Stella did when she first put the stylus on £10 ,151 pounds of plastico whats 20% so far, per:So;nall:y Iprefer the Mob] Numero Uno Stoke Soul has the answer! Cut thru the jump [he suggested ^gram weight on counterbalance and increase speed to78rpm with sl1210 deck & shure m44 cart] I took his advice; selected four Tops [no the] " Your Song" Calibre 124 U.K Discogs £3.50,Manny sold the 7" for £150 mismo otra vez added  a shot glass reduced terminal velocity too 33&1/3 dragged thru and like Manny &Stella Artois his faithful companion Eureka not a dry trouser in the house! Esplendido the skip has gone its twoooooo!

david carpintero está vivo!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!