WoodButcher

Another New Old'un Signing In

Good afternoon all , figured it was about time I joined up after lurking in the shadows for ages ...  :wink:

Not been particularly active on the scene of late but I've never lost my love of the music over the years.

Got into it back around '79/80 , the usual transition from the Mod scene hearing some 'obscure' Motown at local clubs and then a visit to Max Rees' treasure trove on the cattle market in Cambridge which introduced me to the wonderful world of 'northern soul' ... 

First 'niter was at the Wirrina after a club do , the rest of the 'gang' were sound asleep by 3am but I was well and truly hooked and spent the next few years hitching up and down to Leicester Oddfellows , Norwich , Stafford , 100Club , Ritz , Blackburn , Gloucester , Cottons , Griffin Hotel , Keele , St Ives , Ely Maltings not to mention countless soulnights here and there.

Favourite DJ's in no particular order ... Max Rees , Ady C , Butch , Guy , Keb , Irish Greg , Dean A , Big Scotty , Mick S , R Searling , Carl F , Shifty , Kev Fev , Soul Sam , Roger B , Mark B , Lenny D , Andy Rix ... etc , etc , etc ...

A whole cross-section of styles 'floats my boat' from fast and furious to nice and mellow , accumulated a 'few' bits and pieces over the years , mainly cheaper things as I never had the funds for anything too pricey , best thing in my box is an 8" acetate of Hayes Cotton "Black Wings" , (Session1/Take1) that took me forever to get hold of after endless pestering of Dean A at the 100Club many moons ago.

An "All-nighter" for me these days usually means a 6 hour stint in the back garden with a telescope under a clear star-filled sky (with headphones on and sweet soulful sounds to accompany me) ... but plan to get back to the 100Club very soon for another education , high time I tipped up with another bottle of bubbly for Uncle Ady methinks ...  :thumbsup:

Steve .

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.