What Stylus?

SHEFFSOUL

hope this is in the correct section...looking to replace a pair of ortofon pro s styli. Are there a slightly better quality type..for home use on Technics decks..to get a good quality sound from northern soul 45's..thanks in advance..

if its all running through a cheap amp mixer speaker set up i wouldn't bother upgrading. 

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

hope this is in the correct section...looking to replace a pair of ortofon pro s styli. Are there a slightly better quality type..for home use on Technics decks..to get a good quality sound from northern soul 45's..thanks in advance..

I would strongly recommend the Audio Technic AT120E,it is an absolute referance on the Technics,far better than Ortofon and Shure and Stanton.I have it on my SL1210MK5G...go read what Audiophilles say on hi-fi forums,like audioasylum... :thumbsup:

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I would strongly recommend the Audio Technic AT120E,it is an absolute referance on the Technics,far better than Ortofon and Shure and Stanton.I have it on my SL1210MK5G...go read what Audiophilles say on hi-fi forums,like audioasylum... :thumbsup:

Yes but we aren't playing mint albums, we are playing used 60's 45's.

Social source share

Once tried an elliptical stylus which I found bloody awful. Just saying like.

The Ortofon site confirms the Mk2 has been re-engineered but needs the whole cartridge rather than just the needle, that is sometimes overlooked.

The technical data could easily be compared to that of other makes. 

I appreciate we are probably talking about using the needle on records manufactured in the 1960's and much of it will be styrene, hence wear is a factor is best minimised. A light cartridge with a needle that drops deeper into the groove should help protect the precious styrene from the wear handed out by many older models and products. 

Stanton Groovemaster have also gone for the elliptical needle but I didn't locate their technical data so couldn't compare. I've not tried these though.

https://www.stantondj.com/stanton-cartridges/groovemasterv3.html

The shure white technical data can be compared with ortofon Mk2

https://www.shure.co.uk/products/dj_phono/whlb

Must admit the technical data is similar, I may be asking for Santa to bring me a Shure White and then I can make a direct comparision to my Ortofon Mk2 on several records with differing levels of wear for a real test. If I'm really lucky he will bring me a Stanton groovemaster as well.

You would think someone on this site (especially people who often play out expensive records) would have bench tested the various cartridges for sound quality and wear & tear to those precious records.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I've been thinking of giving this a try, what headshell do you use this with ? They seem to be well rated by all who've tried them don't they ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Does that matter though ? I would have thought the whole idea was to get a true representation of sound and clarity of your records . Or are we all looking for different things ?

Maybe some people are looking for a "duller" sound to compensate for worn 45s ?

Not me.

Social source share

Does that matter though ? I would have thought the whole idea was to get a true representation of sound and clarity of your records . Or are we all looking for different things ?

Maybe some people are looking for a "duller" sound to compensate for worn 45s ?

Not me.

No Ivor, but most audiophiles are trying to achieve perfection in stereo. The White Label is a meant for a club environment so tracks really well and doesn't jump out of the groove easily. I don't have any stereo records, so I don't need an audiophile cart.

I bought a Project turntable with an elliptical stylus a couple of years ago. It was very quiet. I had to turn the volume up very high. I wasn't happy so I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a send hand Technics 1200 with just a Stanton 500 cart fitted. It nearly blew the bloody windows out compared to the other one. After fitting the White Label it was amazing.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ok, I see what you're saying. I'm using the Technics 1210 at the moment with a Stanton 580 Mark II. It's a decent sound but I just wonder if there could be any improvement at all.

Was just thinking of giving the Audio Technica a try, quite expensive though in comparison to many....

Social source share

No Ivor, but most audiophiles are trying to achieve perfection in stereo. The White Label is a meant for a club environment so tracks really well and doesn't jump out of the groove easily. I don't have any stereo records, so I don't need an audiophile cart.

I bought a Project turntable with an elliptical stylus a couple of years ago. It was very quiet. I had to turn the volume up very high. I wasn't happy so I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a send hand Technics 1200 with just a Stanton 500 cart fitted. It nearly blew the bloody windows out compared to the other one. After fitting the White Label it was amazing.

If you only play mono records, it might be an idea to get a proper mono stylus/cartridge.

The mono stylus in the Ortofon 2M range for example:

https://ortofon.com/hifi/products/cartridges/2m-series/2m-mono

Social source share

I like the Banana stylus, it's designed for djing, hence the bass feel is bang on (luvverly on 50's & 60's uS 45's) I run it on a Numark TTXUSB, which again is designed for djing, but is great for home use.

When people were having trouble with that motown box set jumping and skipping I tried some on my deck with this set up and they played through no problem. Generally this seems to be the case, records that sometimes jump on other decks will play on this (obviously badly scratched/damaged won't play, for that you need an old Dansette with the 78 needle :D 
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/tonar-banana-cartridge-stylus-yellow/309170-01/ 
https://www.decks.co.uk/products/decks/numark/ttx-usb

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

So what ? I can't see your argument -you have none,other than you are alluding that playing NS 45's using quality equipment is....?

I am an audiophille and I enjoy listening to NS through hifidelity equipment,it does make a difference....a huge difference.... :wink:

Social source share

So what ? I can't see your argument -you have none,other than you are alluding that playing NS 45's using quality equipment is....?

I am an audiophille and I enjoy listening to NS through hifidelity equipment,it does make a difference....a huge difference.... :wink:

What I think Quinvy is saying is that mono soul 45's have a limited resolution. For example, if you play a copy of "if this is love" by the Precisions the detail simply Isin't there to hear, no matter how good your set up. I have to agree with an earlier post that the single most important thing you can do to improve sound quality is to play your mono records with a mono stylus.

Love and peace, Dave

Edited by Only Dreaming
Social source share

Are you sure you didn't connect an MC needle to a MM phono stage? That would explain the low volume.

Social source share

That went completely over my head Lars. I am not a hi-fi expert. 

MC = moving coil, MM = moving magnet, some amps have inputs for both, get them mixed up and the input isn't matched correctly, without looking i think the moving coil is a lower input level, so the sound would be lower.   :(

Social source share

I have just bought a pair of Audio Technica turntables which I am very impressed with. The cartridges and needles supplied seem okay although quite heavy. I was thinking of upgrading at some stage to the Ortofon Concorde Pros that you can buy as a pair for approx £120. They seem pretty good according to online reviews and YouTube clips. Them Shure white label ones look good and again are highly thought of according to online reviews.

Social source share

Guest vinceoneill

I'VE JUST COMPARED A ORTOFON OM PRO S CARTRIDGE AGAINST A STANTON 500AL & WOULD SAY IF YOU WANT BEEFY SOUND IT'S GOT TO BE THE STANTON WHICH I USE FOR DJING. THE ORTOFON HAS LESS BEEF BUT HANDLES TOP ENDS BETTER. OVER THE YEARS I HAVE USED BOTH.

Social source share

Also, to the person who stated that the fidelity in the original recording isn't there, bullshit. 

it requires more precision to get it out d/t recording limitations, but those microphones pick up ALL THE NOISE.

I play tested a copy of why girl on my friends tt and mine (vpi classic 1 w/a dynavector red, No comparison. tambourine is in the mix, the background vocals are forward when appropriate... not so on my pals tt.

Social source share

Also, to the person who stated that the fidelity in the original recording isn't there, bullshit. 

it requires more precision to get it out d/t recording limitations, but those microphones pick up ALL THE NOISE.

I play tested a copy of why girl on my friends tt and mine (vpi classic 1 w/a dynavector red, No comparison. tambourine is in the mix, the background vocals are forward when appropriate... not so on my pals tt.

That’s an Interesting point. Can you post a sound-clip of "Why girl" recorded from your TT? I’ll do the same tomorrow using my Stanton AL500 for comparasion.

If enough people did the same, maybe we could arrive at some definitive conclusions in this thread? Any thoughts appreciated. 

Dave

Edited by Only Dreaming
Social source share

Guest vinceoneill

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT DEPENDS ON THE LISTENERS PREFERENCE ON TONE AGE . AT HOME I USE A TECHNIC AMP & 1210 DECK  GOING THROUGH GALE GOLD MONITORS.

IF YOU WANT TO BE TOTALLY AUTHENTIC PLAYING 60'S VINYL USE DERAM CERAMIC CARTRIDGES NOT ADVISABLE BECAUSE OF THERE TRACKING WEIGHT. OR TRY SHURE   M33.

MY PREFERENCE STILL IS STANTON 500AL & SECOND BEST IS ORTOFONS.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

I use a nail going through a plastic cup.

:rofl: ...... :lol: .....what tracking weight did you use for playback of The Classics you sold....? :wink: !!!

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

I've got a feeling I never actually saw that record, I just did the deal.

so you did'nt know the record then.... :huh: !

and for the Salvadores you did'nt play that either ?

Social source share

I use a project deck with ortofon pro s cart in the house, spot on. Just ordered a pair of ortofon carts pro s for my cheaper pair of decks. Track lighter, good reproduction and not costing the earth. Juno good site for price and service. I use a Cambridge pro amp and gale speakers.

Edited by Mark H CSC
Social source share

They look about £50.00 each, sound about right ?

Social source share

bought a pair for £60 off the net from a reputable dealer..when i used them the sound was no different from those i'd intended to replace..so returned them and got a full refund..

Yes you have to be careful, especially buying styli from a private seller, they could easily be used and clapped out (the seller may not even know that). Just bought a new Staton 500 in the US, for less than £30.00 including shipping.

Social source share

Yes you have to be careful, especially buying styli from a private seller, they could easily be used and clapped out (the seller may not even know that). Just bought a new Staton 500 in the US, for less than £30.00 including shipping.

if it works for you..pls send a link...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Just bought Shure White label cartridge and stylus from Juno after reading the recommendations on this piece of kit.

Ordered and paid through Juno's Site yesterday at 3 O'clock in the afternoon and delivered by parcel force this morning at 9:30 AM.

Commendable performance considering the time of year.

Credit where it's due - well done Juno records !

Merry Christmas to all.

John

Social source share

Just bought Shure White label cartridge and stylus from Juno after reading the recommendations on this piece of kit.

Ordered and paid through Juno's Site yesterday at 3 O'clock in the afternoon and delivered by parcel force this morning at 9:30 AM.

Commendable performance considering the time of year.

Credit where it's due - well done Juno records !

Merry Christmas to all.

John

I hope you like them John. I love them. If you have been using light carts you will need to screw the extra weights back onto the tone arm.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!