Bread & Butter Records

I've recently noticed a few call outs for some records which I'd have assumed EVERYONE already had. 

I'm going to take it as a positive sign that the scene is still growing (which of course it obviously is) but a bit of evidence always helps an argument! I'm using the term 'scene' in its widest sense as I know the Showstoppers, Shirley Ellis and Reggie Garner aren't the rarest records, but ppl are looking for them, which is interesting in and of itself. 

Either its new soulies at entry level, working mans club baggies scene or oldies returning and picking up the passion for vinyl - either way, all positive for the music as it continues to be listened to and shared. And of course for the record sellers too - finally they can shift some of that stock they've been lugging around for years!

Social source share

Probably a lot to do with the recent TV program and Film. I remember when "The Commitments" first came out. I was always being asked to get people "Otis Reading - Try A Little Tenderness"

It just puts the music into the limelight for a short while. Which is a good thing I think. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's people like me as well Gaz. I'm buying vinyl again 'cos my missus bought me a deck for my 50th (not because of the film!) and I'm slowly replacing some of my 2nd issues/pressings with 1st issues (along with records that are new to me), so some of the records I'm buying are the bleedin' obvious.

Edited by SoulStu
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Always loved vinyl but never really got into NS, having only heard compilation albums. Then a few months ago, attended a NS night and was quite simply blown away. I now hear a completely different sound than before that night, if that makes any sense.

Social source share

It's people like me as well Gaz. I'm buying vinyl again 'cos my missus bought me a deck for my 50th (not because of the film!) and I'm slowly replacing some of my 2nd issues/pressings with 1st issues (along with records that are new to me), so some of the records I'm buying are the bleedin' obvious.

Some of the most bleeding' obvious are the best - Nev played at a little gig I do in Manchester and he played Ediwn Starr - Time next to the Hamilton Movement. I can't remember much of the night, but I remember that sequence, and it was great. 

Always loved vinyl but never really got into NS, having only heard compilation albums. Then a few months ago, attended a NS night and was quite simply blown away. I now hear a completely different sound than before that night, if that makes any sense.

Same Noggin - I worked behind a bar for a friend when I was 17 (and was shitting it because I'd never worked behind a bar before) but I was told it was a nice crowd and the music isn't too bad. walked in and BANG! I'd heard a few comps before but this sounded like something else! I don't think I'd ever seen a record in action before, either...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!