Detroit Or Chicago Version - Which Do You Prefer?

Phild

No not in general, but this particular track - "I've Been Fooled Before".

A Chicago composition by Bob Lee (co-owner of Toi and Jerhart labels amongst others) and Sherman Nesbury (singer, songwriter, producer and one-time member of the Admirations) this was originally released by Verble Domino on the Chicago based Toi label and subsequently covered by Jimmy Delphs on Ollie McLaughlin's Detroit based Carla label.

Which one is the better version?

Verble just wins it for me.

Phil

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

In general I would agree. But in then case of this particular song, Chicago wins by a last minute goal :D

...which has been disallowed by the ref, I'm afraid. I'm with the man with the big font, it's Delphs and now't else...

TONE :D

Social source share

...which has been disallowed by the ref, I'm afraid. I'm with the man with the big font, it's Delphs and now't else...

TONE :D

But ...... in extra time Domino plays a double six (excuse the mixed metaphors :D ) and walks off the victor.

Jimmy's version although great, just doesn't (to my ears anyway) have the depth of feeling that Verble's does.

Phil

Social source share

Jimmy wins by four goals, a knockout, a sticky wicket silly leg mid on googly how yer father, being first over the line he gets the chequered flag, he pots the black, a three card trick with an ace in the hole, the wombat over the fence post, a double top and brydie twelve under par for four fourths over eagle benchmark twofer by nine and twelve with a cherry on top and a hole in one.

I fell asleep toward the end of Verble's version. Plus he has (with all due respect) a rather silly name.

Social source share

Jimmy wins by four goals, a knockout, a sticky wicket silly leg mid on googly how yer father, being first over the line he gets the chequered flag, he pots the black, a three card trick with an ace in the hole, the wombat over the fence post, a double top and brydie twelve under par for four fourths over eagle benchmark twofer by nine and twelve with a cherry on top and a hole in one.

I fell asleep toward the end of Verble's version. Plus he has (with all due respect) a rather silly name.

I know where you're coming from but I "believe" Verble's rendition more than Jimmy's.

As for his name, several people on this scene could and should take that name via deed poll :D

Social source share

I know where you're coming from but I "believe" Verble's rendition more than Jimmy's.

As for his name, several people on this scene could and should take that name via deed poll :D

No that bit where the song goes 'That Simon White, he's always right' is more believeable when Jimmy sings it.

I have a friend called Vernal -far less silly.

Jimmy was in my box for Vienna this weekend, but for the other side.

Social source share

No that bit where the song goes 'That Simon White, he's always right' is more believeable when Jimmy sings it.

I have a friend called Vernal -far less silly.

Jimmy was in my box for Vienna this weekend, but for the other side.

I "Almost" agree. But not quite :ohmy:

Social source share

Which one is the better version?
Jimmy Delphs cut the definitive version. Everybody knows that ...apart from you of course.

:ohmy:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Rearrange all the letters in "VERBLE DOMINO", remove a few letters, add a few more, then rearrange them all again. You'll find that it reads "SHERMAN NESBURY".

Spooky or what?

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Jimmy Delphs cut the definitive version. Everybody knows that ...apart from you of course.

whistling.gif

Paul Mooney

Well I know nothing at all, obviously.

What exactly do you mean by definitive? If you mean just turned up and did the song without imparting any soul or feeling, then I have to agree.

Social source share

Rearrange all the letters in "VERBLE DOMINO", remove a few letters, add a few more, then rearrange them all again. You'll find that it reads "SHERMAN NESBURY".

Spooky or what?

Paul Mooney

Go one letter back in the alphabet on the first letter of each of the names Paul and Mooney. Delete the third letter of the first name, move the second letter forward by three places in the alphabet and move it to the end of the first name and you've got .... OLD LOONEY. Now THAT is spooky!

smile.gif

Phil

Social source share

Verble Domino's son wrote to me a few months back after a record of his Dad's. Just thought I'd mention that.

Which one was he after, and did you get it for him?

If not I may be able to help out. Bob Lee gave me just about everything they ever released on his labels.

Phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!