Top 500 'fans'...look Away Now

Goldsoul

This year's Top 20 movers n shakers is up at Mixcloud.

Just wondering which jobbing jocks have been largely responsible for the current revival tracks or is it largely a collective input?

I appreciate most on here are at the sharp end of the scene, so just looking for the grass roots of who's got 'em going again.

For instance, Andy Dyson has championed Robert Thomas, Nige Brown with Herb Ward but what of the others?

Clearly the No.1 has had such an influence the value stands around 5k.

If it's you or a spinner you know of......holler!

I appreciate many of the popular tracks have been around forever, but who's hammering 'em now?

A totally subjective set of positions based on extensive feedback from popular venues and the inevitable Facebook  etc. And of course the recent film.

If your not a fan of the popularity.......look away now......

The current 20 with the most feedback are......

20. TOMMY NAVARRO

19. RITA and THE TIARAS

18. CHECKERBOARD SQUARES

17. HERB WARD-Strange Change

16. LUTHER INGRAM

15. BOB SINCLAIR

14. TONY GALLA

13. JIMMY RUFFIN-Gonna Give

12. HAMILTON MOVEMENT

11. PARISIANS

10. ROBERT THOMAS

9. JEFF PERRY

8. SALVADORS

7. JONATHAN CAPREE

6. SOULUTIONS-Listen

5. THE ORIGINALS- Suspicion

4. MARVIN GAYE-Love Starved Heart

3. TOBI LEGEND

2. RICHIE ADAMS

1. THE TOMANGOES

https://www.mixcloud.com/goldsoul/northern-soul-top-20-for-2014without-narration/

post-9362-0-07341100-1418728066_thumb.jp

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

im not a big fan of bob Sinclair but the dancefloor will tell you otherwise ..its always PACKED which ever venue you hear it played

I know Mark, but by definition, people on niche music scenes like ours should never be afraid to go against mass opinion!!  :D

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 3
Social source share

However, I find it very poor form that the soul snobs on here are slamming it as such a bad record. At least it's a dance record, and I would far rather hear Stanky than most of the dirge that gets the plaudits from folk on this forum.

Yes it one thing a record being overplayed (and you might not like it) but it doesn't make it a bad record.....just played it on Youtube and noticed it was posted on there over 5 years ago.....

Social source share

How did it get started? Andy Jackson thrashed it on the Modern scene, but how did it suddenly cross over to Northern...anyone know?

Isn't it similar to when Pharrel Williams was played, done so for a giggle, got a good response, and if other DJs took notice, it would probably also be being played regularly. The majority of the dancers (myself included) have never necessarily paid much attention to the actual quality of the record, more interested in it's dance-ability as a rule :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The majority of the dancers (myself included) have never necessarily paid much attention to the actual quality of the record, more interested in it's dance-ability as a rule :thumbsup:  

They both come hand in hand as a general rule Win - I doubt you would dance to a danceable record if you didn't like it........Ok, maybe in 'Nighter World' we would :)

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Isn't it similar to when Pharrel Williams was played, done so for a giggle, got a good response, and if other DJs took notice, it would probably also be being played regularly. The majority of the dancers (myself included) have never necessarily paid much attention to the actual quality of the record, more interested in it's dance-ability as a rule :thumbsup:  

I think that Pharrell Williams record does have one or two decent qualities though, I could live with that for a while I think.  Plus I like seeing my kids dance to it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

They both come hand in hand as a general rule Win - I doubt you would dance to a danceable record if you didn't like it........Ok, maybe in 'Nighter World' we would :)

Well taking Bob Sinclair as the example, it's never going to go down in the annals of Northern as a great record, but it's hard to deny that it doesn't have an energy that's contagious, so if you're up and dancing already, it just seems natural to carry on. From a dancing perspective, I find nothing wrong with the record, but if you're sitting at the edge of the dance floor analysing what's being played, I doubt very much it would get a good press. Sometimes your mood can dictate your reasoning.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But danceability and quality aren't mutually exclusive..............

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Maybe mate. But nobody took any notice until Fred played it. The price went mental overnight.

Same thing with Rudy Love on Canyon. Everyone said "oh, Cliff Steel has been playing it for years" and I don't doubt it. But as soon as Karl H got behind it, everybody had to have it.

I could write a list a mile long of records that "have been known about" for donkeys years. But not everyone on the scene knows them. You need a venue that is on every month to get records popular. Four times a year? Give me a break, who's going to remember what was played at the last one.

Me,Phil. :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If we think back though, haven't we always had some depressives in each era?

Obviously newcomers are only just buying into certain songs.

It's a good point Kev. I obviously don't mean depressing as in the quality of the records, but the fact that they have mostly been commonly played for decades in most cases. Where are the Joey Irvings, Willie Dales, JT Parkers and other astonishing records played out over the last few years?

Where on earth are the 'newcomers' going? :(

Social source share

If we think back though, haven't we always had some depressives in each era?Obviously newcomers are only just buying into certain songs.

Newcomers, invariably young , discovering for the first time what long timers often consider as overplayed classic oldies is surely only good for the longevity of the scene and healthy numbers at venues ... Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Newcomers, invariably young , discovering for the first time what long timers often consider as overplayed classic oldies is surely only good for the longevity of scene ...

Not if they never move on to other stuff. It's groundhog day. The scene on the whole is living in a six month period up until the closure of Wigan and never changing as far as I can see. Like a little bubble in time.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

The Stanky 45 was a £10 record until one night at one of my Burnley Allnighters a few years ago. Fred Krol dug it out and played it.

You wouldn't believe how many people ran up to the decks to see what it was.

Next day you couldn't find a copy on any of the dealers sites. The price shot up over night.

Fred is very embarrassed to be the man responsible for it's rise to stardom. However, I find it very poor form that the soul snobs on here are slamming it as such a bad record. At least it's a dance record, and I would far rather hear Stanky than most of the dirge that gets the plaudits from folk on this forum.

Can you please stop coming on here and making me look all positive and cheery, its bad for my street cred :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

the scene isnt depressing at all.. well I don't find

I hear great records still every week I go out ,,oldies and new stuff

theres plenty of choice out there whatever youre into

I'm just turning into a miserable old bugger mate. :)

Social source share

ull find the buzz again matt,,,we all go through those stages

im really into a Motown buzz at the moment finding some great stuff playing out

bobby taylor - its growing and monitors - since I lost you baby and of course the monster isleys whole lotta woman amongst loads of others

theres years left of stuff to play out yet

Edited by wiganer1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not if they never move on to other stuff. It's groundhog day. The scene on the whole is living in a six month period up until the closure of Wigan and never changing as far as I can see. Like a little bubble in time.

Those with open ears will , as their tastes and appreciation for all things soul evolve 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This year's Top 20 movers n shakers is up at Mixcloud. Just wondering which jobbing jocks have been largely responsible for the current revival tracks or is it largely a collective input? I appreciate most on here are at the sharp end of the scene, so just looking for the grass roots of who's got 'em going again. For instance, Andy Dyson has championed Robert Thomas, Nige Brown with Herb Ward but what of the others? Clearly the No.1 has had such an influence the value stands around 5k. If it's you or a spinner you know of......holler! I appreciate many of the popular tracks have been around forever, but who's hammering 'em now? A totally subjective set of positions based on extensive feedback from popular venues and the inevitable Facebook  etc. And of course the recent film. If your not a fan of the popularity.......look away now......

The current 20 with the most feedback are......

20. TOMMY NAVARRO

19. RITA and THE TIARAS

18. CHECKERBOARD SQUARES

17. HERB WARD-Strange Change

16. LUTHER INGRAM

15. BOB SINCLAIR

14. TONY GALLA

13. JIMMY RUFFIN-Gonna Give

12. HAMILTON MOVEMENT

11. PARISIANS

10. ROBERT THOMAS

9. JEFF PERRY

8. SALVADORS

7. JONATHAN CAPREE

6. SOULUTIONS-Listen

5. THE ORIGINALS- Suspicion

4. MARVIN GAYE-Love Starved Heart

3. TOBI LEGEND

2. RICHIE ADAMS

1. THE TOMANGOES

Nice to see a £20.00 and a £5.000 record together, perhaps proof that the average (or above average) soul fan doesn't put too much store in a record's value.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Records that are probably old hat to the upfront crowd but perfect for the big rooms and that i have heard are The Limitations-Lonely and Troubled,Curtis Liggins-What It Is and Tommy Rodgers Pass The Word.They only need bootlegging on a big scale for the push.That is the sad fact.Been playing the alt version of Tony Gallas's- In Love.

Social source share

Well taking Bob Sinclair as the example, it's never going to go down in the annals of Northern as a great record, but it's hard to deny that it doesn't have an energy that's contagious, so if you're up and dancing already, it just seems natural to carry on. From a dancing perspective, I find nothing wrong with the record, but if you're sitting at the edge of the dance floor analysing what's being played, I doubt very much it would get a good press. Sometimes your mood can dictate your reasoning.

You can say that again - I danced to 'Just Like The Weather' at Life-line once....'twas a good night! :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!