Top 500 'fans'...look Away Now

Goldsoul

Got to agree about Billy Davis - Stanky, gets played all the time and is a proven cure for my insomnia.

But no Wade Flemons, Lou Pride, Duke Browner, Edwin Starr (time) or Four Pro's, hardly aFriday or Saturday goes by without me listening to some DJ spinning em. I guess the top 20 must be a regional thing; each area with its own frequent plays - I must be in the right region cos I rarely hear Bob Sinclair played and when it is spun it always reminds me that its time to pay a visit to the gents...... must be the word "crap" springs to mind when I hear it. :yes:

Agree with additions - same here , plus Sam Dees. Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not being a Northern doo frequenter, I also didn't realise that Soulutions was getting played in NS venues. Is this widely the case, or regional/venue releated? Who is responsible for pushing this on that scene?

I can understand how it 'fits' the NS scene beat/style wise, but thereby lies the slight frustration for me......so many great records overlooked because they don't fit a beat pattern. Doesn't really matter so long as those records make it in the modern rooms, but some even struggle to get airplay in that environment........

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Why are these the most popular records though? Not because they are the best (there are thousands of others) and not because they are the most requested (I'm guessing). 'Popular' in this case means most often played across the country does it? In which case there is serious lack of imagination and individualism of the part of a majority of DJs.

Social source share

Are there any songs that you believe are genuinely more popular than the 20 the mass public have suggested?

Mark 'Wiganer 1' makes a good call on Billy Davis -Stanky, but what else.....or has the punter got it bob on?

To be fair probably none more popular than those posted at lots of do's.....last year or  so for me the top tunes have been, the trends-not to old to cry, and soul stirrers-don't you worry, there both off the top of my head....both great records imo.....thank you...Rob

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

To be fair probably none more popular than those posted at lots of do's.....last year or  so for me the top tunes have been, the trends-not to old to cry, and soul stirrers-don't you worry, there both off the top of my head....both great records imo.....thank you...Rob

The Soul Stirrers has got no chance of making a 'popular' list Rob, going by what's been mentioned before. Unfortunately.

I haven't been out much this year, but almost everywhere I went in the last few years the Swan Silvertones, the Sacred Four and Willie Dale was played. That doesn't mean they is 'popular' though. Thank God. :)

New Years resolution: Go to oldies nights and request the Appointments - Steppin Closer, so it makes next year's list. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

weirdest and possibly worst imho

Surely not worse than Cats Eyes by Life?

and first time I heard that, was at Blackpool Mecca!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It isa different singer not a different mix.  It is Mill Edwards.

I knew that Chalky :rolleyes: 

:D 

.........I was on the Journey Butch was a taking me on, and just knew he would 'get this train back on track' soon after - and he did! :wink:

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It's a good point Kev. I obviously don't mean depressing as in the quality of the records, but the fact that they have mostly been commonly played for decades in most cases. Where are the Joey Irvings, Willie Dales, JT Parkers and other astonishing records played out over the last few years?

Where on earth are the 'newcomers' going? :(

Trouble is Matt, that short list of records aren't worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the Tomangoes. And in my humble opinion aren't even good enough to play out. Wouldn't give you twopence for 'em. 

And therein lies the the reason that the nostalgia scene goes on and on. And the up front scene has had it.

Just my opinion of course.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The Stanky 45 was a £10 record until one night at one of my Burnley Allnighters a few years ago. Fred Krol dug it out and played it.

You wouldn't believe how many people ran up to the decks to see what it was.

Next day you couldn't find a copy on any of the dealers sites. The price shot up over night.

Fred is very embarrassed to be the man responsible for it's rise to stardom. However, I find it very poor form that the soul snobs on here are slamming it as such a bad record. At least it's a dance record, and I would far rather hear Stanky than most of the dirge that gets the plaudits from folk on this forum.

I was there that night Phil and I was one of those that rushed up asked what it was. Must've been around 5/6 years ago now. Very different to what I usually like and a different tempo, I thought it was brilliant then and still do.........great dance record!!!

Carol   :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Soul Stirrers has got no chance of making a 'popular' list Rob, going by what's been mentioned before. Unfortunately.

I haven't been out much this year, but almost everywhere I went in the last few years the Swan Silvertones, the Sacred Four and Willie Dale was played. That doesn't mean they is 'popular' though. Thank God. :)

New Years resolution: Go to oldies nights and request the Appointments - Steppin Closer, so it makes next year's list. :thumbsup:

You're right Matt....but to be fair you go where you like, listen to what you enjoy, and have a good time...horses for courses etc...what I think are great records are probably a million miles off someone else's choice...which is how it should be..everyone thinks they have sublime taste!!....(you are right though).......thank you....Rob

Social source share

And therein lies the the reason that the nostalgia scene goes on and on. And the up front scene has had it.

I sort of half of agree with Phil, in that the rise in popularity of Funk and R&B on the up front scene has diluted the quality of the records played.

If I was new to the scene and didn't know anything I would be going to venues playing The Tomangoes and not the ones playing Funk.

Then again the last time I heard Mick H and Andy D there was some awesome 'proper northern' played that I hadn't heard before.

Probably a topic for it's own thread.

Edited by grouse
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I sort of half of agree with Phil, in that the rise in popularity of Funk and R&B on the up front scene has diluted the quality of the records played.

If I was new to the scene and didn't know anything I would be going to venues playing The Tomangoes and not the ones playing Funk.

Then again the last time I heard Mick H and Andy D there was some awesome 'proper northern' played that I hadn't heard before.

yep funk and R&B just leave me cold ,well the stuff I hear in modern rooms which I rarely visit except at w/enders to hear mates play out ,who unfortunately have been cursed and actually like this stuff, as for tribute it doesn't get an airing at any of the venues I go to and the dj would probably be booed off the decks and rightly so ,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Trouble is Matt, that short list of records aren't worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the Tomangoes. And in my humble opinion aren't even good enough to play out. Wouldn't give you twopence for 'em. 

more n more peeps defecting every day
Social source share

I would agree regarding the funk, some of it is good, some excellent, a lot is very average and worse.  Much of what I hear does nothing for me but I appreciate others like it, it is a question of getting the balance right. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But what is?  It is ultimate northern and will take some beating, much of what followed the since the discovery of the Tomangoes is inferior.  But as for the upfront scene, what and who have you listened too lately? I've heard some fantastic sets at Lifeline, 100 Club, middle room at Radders and other venues the last 12 months or so. Much of the funky stuff does little for me but it does fill the floor.  But there is still plenty of new stuff out there that is actually very good.  There is life in it yet, just depends where you go and who you listen to.  Just because you or others don't like it doesn't mean it has had it.

Social source share

I would agree regarding the funk, some of it is good, some excellent, a lot is very average and worse.  Much of what I hear does nothing for me but I appreciate others like it, it is a question of getting the balance right. 

To be quite honest Chalky, it puts me off going to anywhere where it will get played.

I have to drive for at least a couple of hours to get to any venues and It's not worth the effort.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

so this is a chart compiled of tunes played on mixcloud...what has that got to do with whats being played by djs out in the REAL world...actually on the scene ...this just tells us those who listen to soul on their computer or phone are largely oldies fans...no surprises their....some great records but very few different from the obvious....cerrtainly not an interesting chart IMO

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I agree they aren't the same quality as the Tomangoes, but what is? Joey Irving - There's a Man not good enough to play out, seriously? If the majority of people think like that then we may as well all up stumps and go home. :)

And meanwhile s**t like Bob Sinclair is good enough to play out?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

so this is a chart compiled of tunes played on mixcloud...what has that got to do with whats being played by djs out in the REAL world...actually on the scene ...this just tells us those who listen to soul on their computer or phone are largely oldies fans...no surprises their....some great records but very few different from the obvious....cerrtainly not an interesting chart IMO

I would imaging it is compiled by Goldsoul attendees?  Would be good to know how many cancassed to arrive at this chart. 

Social source share

I'm out playing a few every weekend, often at some very busy oldies  events and I don't even own half of that list on post #1, until seeing this thread I had never heard the Soulutions track,

As already said it must be a regional thing, then again I do get about,

I have also been asked to play Herb Ward with alarming regularity for as long as I can remember, again at busy oldies nights,

"Turley Richards", "Albert Washington" been mentioned? Seem to hear these everywhere

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

I would imaging it is compiled by Goldsoul attendees? Would be good to know how many cancassed to arrive at this chart.

Not neccessarily. We cast out net far n wide. I don't think anyone can argue the 20 are current floor fillers. Name others that are on par with those in the popularity stakes?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Bob Sinclair is wank as far as I am concerned but I don't matter as it's a dance scene and that usually means it's the dancers that have the last say.

Biggest tune IMHO last 12mths has been the ravins, utterly storming real deal northern.

Dazz

Let's face it most people on the scene have s**t taste.  

There, I said what we're all thinking. :)

Social source share

I agree they aren't the same quality as the Tomangoes, but what is? Joey Irving - There's a Man not good enough to play out, seriously? If the majority of people think like that then we may as well all up stumps and go home. :)

And meanwhile s**t like Bob Sinclair is good enough to play out?

It does nowt for me. And that's what I've done, up stumps and gone home.

Made the mistake of going to a nighter a few months ago. Couldn't tell what the **** was being played, the sound was so bad.

Social source share

Not neccessarily. We cast out net far n wide. I don't think anyone can argue the 20 are current floor fillers. Name others that are on par with those in the popularity stakes?

HI Kev

I appreciate the big name DJ's often spin Tomangoes, Salvadors, Herb Ward etc at major quarterly or annual events (though I cant remember hearing them play Bob Sinclair - probably cos you'd sack em if they did :yes:); but the next level tier of DJ (regional rather than national resource) entertain audiences monthly with the likes of Turley Richards, Paul Anka, Frankie Beverly, Gene Chandler, Vel-Vets, Fred Hughes, James Carr and Fi-dels and the punters keep going back to the local venues for more of same.  I'm sure many of big name DJ's would confirm hearing those tunes played every weekend when they venture out at the local venues.  

Kind regards

Stu :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!