Top 500 'fans'...look Away Now

Goldsoul

Take all the Dj,s and spouses outa the current UK soul scene and you would be left once again with a underground scene like back in the day..Everywhere  I go to there are bloody DJs everywhere 100s of the critters there breeding like mad it's like the soul scene has been taken over by those who live amongst us trying to blend in with human kind I bet that George Clinton bugger has something to do with it LOL Invaders...The Best is Yet to Come ...now there's a record ya don't hear out much....

Merry Christmas & All the Best for 2015

Love, Peace & Happiness

Yes but you are one of them Ian.

And if you took the Dj's and their spouses out of the equation there wouldn't be anything left at all. Once we all were dancers, now we all are Dj's, because we are all f***ed and old.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Few years ago i was DJ.in at a wedding with Phil Threfall in Wigan we where spinnin good oldies from the later years of Wigan Cas Moses Dillard Paris Ray Agee ect ect i heard severalof the Wigan young. Soulies slaggin us off sayin we where crap i laughed it off over the past few months ive seen a couple of the lads who are now dj.in themselves and many of the 45s we played that hour are on their wants lists..I think its great that these young dj.s are progressing their musical tastes with stuff away from the great classics that built the northern scene into what it is today its down to the older blokes like Ted Massey Carl n Maria Willingham Ginger Taylor Nige Brown ect ect who do the bigger venues and are.nt afraid to spin the more rarer tunes if soulies dont hear em they wont know em..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would imagine the likes of Frankie Beverley, Invitations, Major Lance, Tangeers, couple of Gene Chandler, Pookie Hudson, James Barnett and plenty of others are far more popular across the country than the likes of Johnathon Capree, Billy Davis, Soulutions

Very true. The chart though is accurate enough to assemble 20 current 'happenings'. Soulutions will be probably deceased by Spring. Can't see Jonathan Capree lasting but then again......

A few commented on Salvation, hence I assume is the more easily available Robert Thomas. Hope that's the one everyone meant lol.

To repeat, it's only a guide to a few songs the overall majority are talking about and have been in the past few months.

If we remember 2013, Jeanette, You Should O Held On and Crying Over You were huge and still are, it's just the current 20 are being spoke of a bit more and deffo popular at key nights countrywide.

Social source share

Very true. The chart though is accurate enough to assemble 20 current 'happenings'. Soulutions will be probably deceased by Spring. Can't see Jonathan Capree lasting but then again......

A few commented on Salvation, hence I assume is the more easily available Robert Thomas. Hope that's the one everyone meant lol.

To repeat, it's only a guide to a few songs the overall majority are talking about and have been in the past few months.

If we remember 2013, Jeanette, You Should O Held On and Crying Over You were huge and still are, it's just the current 20 are being spoke of a bit more and deffo popular at key nights countrywide.

Andy plays Cressa Watson version, not many known copies.  I would also have thought Ravins, Henry C would also be popular for Andy.

i also realise it is just a guide and not everyone will agree just as I don't agree with some of the crap that is number 1 in the pop charts.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Have skim read this and don't understand the mixcloud reference and then it being about played in clubs.

Where is the information actually from ? And how is it gathered, appreciate bringing my day job on here a little but the autenticity of any opinion has to be based on the authenticity of the data surely?

Confused of Bishopsgate!

Social source share

Have skim read this and don't understand the mixcloud reference and then it being about played in clubs.

Where is the information actually from ? And how is it gathered, appreciate bringing my day job on here a little but the autenticity of any opinion has to be based on the authenticity of the data surely?

Confused of Bishopsgate!

Don't be confused. Get out a bit more and see what the masses are dancing to.

It's merely a reflection of 20 movers n shakers during the last year at popular nights up and down the country. Nothing cast in stone.

We connected with more than 20 DJs plus we can see what's going on via requests etc.

Mixcloud contains our History of Northern Soul series spread over more than 60 episodes.

Thanks

Social source share

P.S  people may or may not like this....it,s not about a single tune (same for evonne fair) it,s about that tune in the context of the night

Also why play lists can not show whether a night is good or not.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - You may have said this / or similar before Terry.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

this isn't aimed at anyone or any post in particular but it never ceases to amaze me about how people bang on about how 60S rnb and funky EDGED SOUL shouldn't be played and is only played as there is no northern left to discover but dance to what IMO is pretty shit soulful house at best..regarding bob Sinclair :huh:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Also why play lists can not show whether a night is good or not.

All the best,

P.s - You may have said this / or similar before Terry.

The playlist thing...is different.....people used to say to me that place you go to is this,it,s that,it,s just an oldies night,it,s rubbish....and they don,t wanna go....well whatever,but f**k didn,t they used to badger the hell to get playlists.....which l found funny as they had no interest in going lol,,,,,put ya playlist up at your peril ..it gives no refection of a nights proceedings..and leaves said places open to ...slagging off and plagurism ....funny old scene!!

Social source share

I got into Northern to get away from the masses and Peter Stringfellow wannabees thank you very much.

Me and my gin botttle are very happy in our solitary confinement, wallowing in progressive nostalgia about how good our days were, while moaning about people who wallow in nostalgic nostalgia. Long may we continue.

So its a Goldsoul promotional tool, that you may turn into a book and charge people for the information they have provided freely. Why didn't you say that in the first place, I could have saved myself getting falsely aroused.

No more books .......yer safe

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was surprised Outsiders, Lee Andrews & the Hearts, Mel Williams and George Carrow didn't make it into the 20, they are not up and coming tunes but rather proper NS dancers that always seem to get the dance floor going at venues I attend.

Soulutions, Jonathon Capree and Tommy Navaro are 3 that I seldom hear....... but dont think I'm missing anything and when on the rare occassion that I do hear em they do nothing for the dance floor.

One major blessing is that the 'select 10 DJ's' didn't pick Nolan Porter's - "If I could only be sure" it pisses me off but always gets a full dance floor. Bah humbug!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

March 2008.....nearly 7 years ago, Popsike shows a copy at £91

Description states.....

THIS IS MASSIVELY FILLING DANCEFLOORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

No soundfile....so must have been know then....link below, should be top of page

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=stanky&incldescr=&sortord=adate&thumbs=&currsel=

soul source search gives you more  :P

there's a 2007 thread straight after it was played at burnley

sales later at 25 rasing to 80, then features in wants , playlists etc etc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

but because they really like funk & r&b, as much as northern style soul.

Does that mean they have a place at a Northern event?

.......I miss the modern rooms that were 'kicking' and attached to every Nighter I went to in the 90's.

Gavin page's Winsford Modern room was the bees knees :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

March 2008.....nearly 7 years ago, Popsike shows a copy at £91

Description states.....

THIS IS MASSIVELY FILLING DANCEFLOORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

No soundfile....so must have been know then....link below, should be top of page

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=stanky&incldescr=&sortord=adate&thumbs=&currsel=

Mace,i've read the "dance floor" filler description for some real donkey's.This being one.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

soul source search gives you more  :P

there's a 2007 thread straight after it was played at burnley

sales later at 25 rasing to 80, then features in wants , playlists etc etc

Just shows what a wonderful site you host Mike.......CF or Popsike don't show any earlier than this date....not sure how far they go back mind.

I'd say Fred is definitely to blame then....... :lol:

Social source share

Mace,i've read the "dance floor" filler description for some real donkey's.This being one.

So that's how you built your collection.......to be fair to whoever the seller was in this instance, it seems as though it was indeed filling dancefloors by March 2008......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.. Indeedc that old description bullshit from record dealers, ooooooh it's massive, taking the roof off, bla bla bla.. One of them tunes that sounds ok on first listen if yer drinks been spiked maybe... Ok, Stankey gate over now or does Phil have the last say??.. I would like to know where this poll comes from??
Social source share

So that's how you built your collection.......to be fair to whoever the seller was in this instance, it seems as though it was indeed filling dancefloors by March 2008......

That Timescale sounds about right to me.I bought my copy of Stanky in June 2008 after hearing it for the first time at Prestwich a few months earlier

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That Timescale sounds about right to me.I bought my copy of Stanky in June 2008 after hearing it for the first time at Prestwich a few months earlier

You will probably tell me it wasn't me Patto, but that time scale fits in with me playing my first one at T.S.O.P, I say first one as I have got rid of it twice for it to get another lease of life and me pick it up again,

Social source share

No it bloody wasn't. They all jumped on it after Fred played it. None of you have a clue when it was played, I have.

Don't talk b*llocks Phil it was being played all over the bloody place if I'm wrong I,ll saw the top of mi yed off pour ya a nice chianti and let ya feast on mi brains ... Lol

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't talk b*llocks Phil it was being played all over the bloody place if I'm wrong I,ll saw the top of mi yed off pour ya a nice chianti and let ya feast on mi brains ... Lol

Read the other posts you ****ing knob. Apologies accepted. Bloody know-it-all's on here, know **** all.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You will probably tell me it wasn't me Patto, but that time scale fits in with me playing my first one at T.S.O.P, I say first one as I have got rid of it twice for it to get another lease of life and me pick it up again,

Pete it may well have been you or possibly Nige Brown.You both played blinding sets but i knew each record until Stanky came on and i sat down to listen to it for first the time.The record sounded great in that great venue and i started looking for my own copy and bagged one a few months after.It may turn a few noses up now a days but at first plays Stanky certainly made a big impact.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete it may well have been you or possibly Nige Brown.You both played blinding sets but i knew each record until Stanky came on and i sat down to listen to it for first the time.The record sounded great in that great venue and i started looking for my own copy and bagged one a few months after.It may turn a few noses up now a days but at first plays Stanky certainly made a big impact.

It was me then Patto, Nige will verify I put him on to it so I doubt he would have played it at T.S.O.P around that time

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Read the other posts you ****ing knob. Apologies accepted. Bloody know-it-all's on here, know **** all.

Phil if your going to call me a ........ing knob please say it to my face not behind a keyboard I,ll be at Stubshaw Niter 27 Dec hope you can make it I,ll even pay your entry it will be well worth it to see you again

love Ian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Des Parker and Johnny Beggs found a boxful of 'Stanky' on the stairs at Val Shivelys over 6 years ago, and it was selling for decent money back then....think they might have turned the box round so no-one else could read the title written on the box, and returned on several occasions to re-stock......perhaps Beggsy or Des sold one to Fred.... ;o)

The fact that this title has been ignored for the last 34 years at Val's speaks volumes for its quality. I've had the record for 20 years and listed the other side 'I've Tried' as the better track. Perhaps Fred had put it back in the sleeve the wrong way round, took it out, spun the B side and the rest is history...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!