Dave Rimmer

Washing Machines

Recommend you DON'T get a Beko.  Depends on how much you want to spend, Dave.  We've got a Hotpoint which was reasonably priced and gets hammered as there's five adults in our house, so could be on a couple of times a day.  No problems so far, touch wood.  If you want something that's going to last I'd go for a Miele.

Mine has just packed up working, and it's the one kitchen appliance we can't really do without

So, anyone got any recommendations ?

Whirlpool have been brilliant for me Dave. Had one 18 years ago when my 1st lad was born. It was on virtually every day for 16 years and it only packed in 2 years ago, so I bought another and so far so good. What you must do to make 'em last longer is reduce the spin speed to 800 whenever you wash. It'll last much longer if you do that.

So, anyone got any recommendations ?

Try asking on mumsnet  :D

Depends how much you want to spend, the Siemens & Bosch stuff is going to be better built and more efficient, but the Hotpoint stuff will do the job.

A few years back we replaced a Hotpoint Tumble Dryer with a Bosch the difference was amazing the Bosch was almost silent in operation (and more economical), the Hotpoint sounded like a small jet taking off.

Don't buy a Beko, even if they are only £180........I'd recommend Bosch all day long.....keep it as basic as possible (ie no big fancy display screens you have to programme mc through)....1400 spin max, though 1200 should be fine.

Whatever you go for ensure it has front access to pump filter so you can easily unblock yourself (some makes, usually older model Hotpoints have filters built into internal pipework)

If you fit it yourself the read instructions properly and make sure you remove transit bolts and any internal polystyrene packaging....you'd be amazed how many don't.

Will be cold fill only so if old machine also has hot fill then buy a blank to cap off hot supply....I know you can isolate supply with plastic tap fitting but for a few quid extra blank it off.

Miele are the Rolls Royce of appliances.....if you can afford £800 to £1000 for one just before Xmas then go for it.....however, when warranty does expire be aware that parts are as hellish expensive as the machine itself......you probably will get 10+ years out of them trouble free mind.

Dave please pm me your address so I can invoice you for my time writing up the above.....£45 per hour plus call-out (I was on another thread at the time)

I might be a SS Kitchen Slave but that don't mean I'm cheap......

We had our kitchen redone 18 months ago and were recommended caple.. Was told they manufacture for other company's but have started selling under their own name.. Been good as gold so far

Dave. Can't you just get it repaired ?

Steve

Mostly about logistics Steve. I only have two days, today being one of them, where I'm here, between now and the 29th December.

I'd rather just buy a new one today and have done with it. I've had my money's worth out of the old pne.

Dave please pm me your address so I can invoice you for my time writing up the above.....£45 per hour plus call-out (I was on another thread at the time)

I might be a SS Kitchen Slave but that don't mean I'm cheap......

Ours packed up eight years ago or so and i had a great recommendation from Mace. Mace suggested i buy a Zanussi 1200 which i did and it was 'top advice'. Apart from clearing the filter thing on the front it's been maintenance free. To be be fair though, it only serves two of us so doesn't get a real hammering plus i hardly wet the bed at all these days :lol: Ade

Don't buy a Beko, even if they are only £180........I'd recommend Bosch all day long.....keep it as basic as possible (ie no big fancy display screens you have to programme mc through)....1400 spin max, though 1200 should be fine.

Whatever you go for ensure it has front access to pump filter so you can easily unblock yourself (some makes, usually older model Hotpoints have filters built into internal pipework)

If you fit it yourself the read instructions properly and make sure you remove transit bolts and any internal polystyrene packaging....you'd be amazed how many don't.

Will be cold fill only so if old machine also has hot fill then buy a blank to cap off hot supply....I know you can isolate supply with plastic tap fitting but for a few quid extra blank it off.

Out of interest, and nowt else to do, why not buy a Beko?

Out of interest, and nowt else to do, why not buy a Beko?

Cheap tat....electronics fail regularly, called out to 4 Beko machines in last 6 months that main panel has fcuked up on and all less than 18 months old.

You pay peanuts - you get monkeys...

Simples!

Ours packed up eight years ago or so and i had a great recommendation from Mace. Mace suggested i buy a Zanussi 1200 which i did and it was 'top advice'. Apart from clearing the filter thing on the front it's been maintenance free. To be be fair though, it only serves two of us so doesn't get a real hammering plus i hardly wet the bed at all these days :lol: Ade

Cheers Ade, glad it worked out well.

I do like Zanussi to be fair, and had one myself for last 10 years or so, but to be fair my maintenance bills are obviously always low !

Bosch engineering can't be faulted though.....good job them Germans didn't put as much effort into fighting wars as they do with football and appliance & car engineering eh!

By the way, never invoiced you for that advise.....red letter day awaits!

Ha ha......

Cheap tat....electronics fail regularly, called out to 4 Beko machines in last 6 months that main panel has fcuked up on and all less than 18 months old.

You pay peanuts - you get monkeys...

Simples!

Had a Beko when they first came out and I didn't know any better.  Think the drum bearing failed just after the warranty ran out, but to be fair to Beko, they repaired it free of charge as I told them I expected it to last longer than it had.  After something else failed I got rid of it and got a Hotpoint, which has served well up to now.  Used to have Miele commercial washers and tumble dryers on board ship which were bomb proof.  Apart from changing the odd belt and a set of brushes, no real problems considering they could be running all day long.