Juniorsoul

Sir Henry Ivy & Henry C (& The Ivy Leaguers)

Several early Memphis groups were racially mixed. Think of The MGs or LH & The Memphis Sounds.

Taking a wild guess I'd say Henry C is the song's writer Henry Thomas. The singing on both sides sounds black to me, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if members of the backing group were white.

I have the Henry C & Ivy leaguers on a Pepper sound studios acetate but its only credited to Henry C (no Ivy leaguers) and its hand written in pencil. Does that throw anymore light on it??

I guess its not the same person based on what Dave Thorley pointed out although I still wouldn't rule it out completely.

Darren

Don't think so Henry is Henry K Ivy, so the 'C' sorta wouldn't make sense. Plus when I saw him a couple of years ago I'm sure he said he only recorded the 2 45's

I have the Henry C & Ivy leaguers on a Pepper sound studios acetate but its only credited to Henry C (no Ivy leaguers) and its hand written in pencil. Does that throw anymore light on it??

I guess its not the same person based on what Dave Thorley pointed out although I still wouldn't rule it out completely.

Darren

Yeah, that sounds right then Mr Thorley! Likely to be two different people. Thanks! :)

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.