Sir Henry Ivy & Henry C (& The Ivy Leaguers)

Guest Juniorsoul

Guest Juniorsoul

Just wondering if these two are the same person? But don't sound the same

They're both on labels out of Memphis. 

Just to end a long running debate, is Henry C black or white?

post-31819-0-98714100-1418835215_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Several early Memphis groups were racially mixed. Think of The MGs or LH & The Memphis Sounds.

Taking a wild guess I'd say Henry C is the song's writer Henry Thomas. The singing on both sides sounds black to me, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if members of the backing group were white.

Social source share

I have the Henry C & Ivy leaguers on a Pepper sound studios acetate but its only credited to Henry C (no Ivy leaguers) and its hand written in pencil. Does that throw anymore light on it??

I guess its not the same person based on what Dave Thorley pointed out although I still wouldn't rule it out completely.

Darren

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Don't think so Henry is Henry K Ivy, so the 'C' sorta wouldn't make sense. Plus when I saw him a couple of years ago I'm sure he said he only recorded the 2 45's

I have the Henry C & Ivy leaguers on a Pepper sound studios acetate but its only credited to Henry C (no Ivy leaguers) and its hand written in pencil. Does that throw anymore light on it??

I guess its not the same person based on what Dave Thorley pointed out although I still wouldn't rule it out completely.

Darren

Yeah, that sounds right then Mr Thorley! Likely to be two different people. Thanks! :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!