Stanky - Billy Davis Talk (Split From Orig Thread)

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

billy davis - stanky - (must have been 21)  total floor filler this year

this record was activated by FRED KROLL at the burnley nighters some 4 years ago.....

P.S  people may or may not like this....it,s not about a single tune (same for evonne fair) it,s about that tune in the context of the night

P.P.S  I see one of the people who thinks it,s rubbish is CASPER  who plays bootlegs and bootlegs of  COBBLESTONE trick me treat me ....well if ever there was a shit pop record   there ya go  and to play it on a boot.....really? lol  lol  lol

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The Stanky 45 was a £10 record until one night at one of my Burnley Allnighters a few years ago. Fred Krol dug it out and played it.

You wouldn't believe how many people ran up to the decks to see what it was.

Next day you couldn't find a copy on any of the dealers sites. The price shot up over night.

Fred is very embarrassed to be the man responsible for it's rise to stardom. However, I find it very poor form that the soul snobs on here are slamming it as such a bad record. At least it's a dance record, and I would far rather hear Stanky than most of the dirge that gets the plaudits from folk on this forum.

Phil this is what made/makes this nighter so good....people like Fred playing this little gem.....most on here don,t get it....Why should Fred feel embaressed ?......the reaction should tell you all you need to know.Yes it,s not the greatest tune,but it fitted in.....thats what they don,t get.

Social source share

Wha tyou don't get though is that just because Fred was the first to play it at Burnley doesn't mean it was known or indeed played by others elsewhere.  It was already selling for a ton or just under at the time and played elsewhere at the tme and prior.  Some people do like to rewrite history.  The record was crap years ago, it is no better now.

It had been known since The Torch, I used to sell it for £3 up until these recent plays, I thought they were joking when they said it was popular!  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this record was activated by FRED KROLL at the burnley nighters some 4 years ago.....

Way off the mark with Stanky Gordon / Phil it was being played all over the place way before Fred played it at Burnley it was being bashed to death at venues like Lowton  ,  Middleton Niter and several more Northwest venues that I'm 100% certain...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Way off the mark with Stanky Gordon / Phil it was being played all over the place way before Fred played it at Burnley it was being bashed to death at venues like Lowton , Middleton Niter and several more Northwest venues that I'm 100% certain...

so Fred's off the hook ? Phew close one....
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Des Parker and Johnny Beggs found a boxful of 'Stanky' on the stairs at Val Shivelys over 6 years ago, and it was selling for decent money back then....think they might have turned the box round so no-one else could read the title written on the box, and returned on several occasions to re-stock......perhaps Beggsy or Des sold one to Fred.... ;o)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Wha tyou don't get though is that just because Fred was the first to play it at Burnley doesn't mean it was known or indeed played by others elsewhere.  It was already selling for a ton or just under at the time and played elsewhere at the tme and prior.  Some people do like to rewrite history.  The record was crap years ago, it is no better now.

That is complete bullshit. You have no ****ing idea what you are talking about

There were copies everywhere for £10 and I was going to a lot of venues back then, and I had NEVER heard it in my life before that night.

Just because you regard Lifeline as being at the vanguard of the rare soul scene, you can't stand the thought that Burnley was the people's choice back then and was regarded by many as being the best in the country.

Get over it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There were copies everywhere for £10 and I was going to a lot of venues back then, and I had NEVER heard it in my life before that night.

Just because you regard Lifeline as being at the vanguard of the rare soul scene, you can't stand the thought that Burnley was the people's choice back then and was regarded by many as being the best in the country.

Get over it.

As you say, it was around, everywhere - but nobody ever played it because it was too cheap and too common...until..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get over it.

I don't regard Lifeline as anything.speaks for itself.  As I said just because you or a few others hadn't heard it doesn't mean others hadn't.  You had a long time off don't forget.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Way off the mark with Stanky Gordon / Phil it was being played all over the place way before Fred played it at Burnley it was being bashed to death at venues like Lowton  ,  Middleton Niter and several more Northwest venues that I'm 100% certain...

No it bloody wasn't. They all jumped on it after Fred played it. None of you have a clue when it was played, I have.

Social source share

Phil, the ones at Val's 6 years ago would have been around $25......knowing that Des Parker is as tight as a gnats chuff there is no way he would have bought multiple copies of a 45 for more than it was selling back in UK....seem to think they were selling for £60 at the time.

I know this for a fact, I was there when Des found the box, so unless the Burnley spins by Fred preceeded 6 years ago then that record certainly wasn't £10 a pop at that point in time....

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

March 2008.....nearly 7 years ago, Popsike shows a copy at £91

Description states.....

THIS IS MASSIVELY FILLING DANCEFLOORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

No soundfile....so must have been know then....link below, should be top of page

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=stanky&incldescr=&sortord=adate&thumbs=&currsel=

Edited by Mace
Social source share

P.S  people may or may not like this....it,s not about a single tune (same for evonne fair) it,s about that tune in the context of the night

P.P.S  I see one of the people who thinks it,s rubbish is CASPER  who plays bootlegs and bootlegs of  COBBLESTONE trick me treat me ....well if ever there was a shit pop record   there ya go  and to play it on a boot.....really? lol  lol  lol

Well Phil,I've read the post that Gordon put on and this is what I was going off  played by Fred at Burnley 4 years ago 2010..that's what I was going on 4yrs ago I knew for a fact it was being played at least 3 yrs before that all over the place in the northwest ..

Your a very naughty numbskull calling me a ..ing so n so LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You will probably tell me it wasn't me Patto, but that time scale fits in with me playing my first one at T.S.O.P, I say first one as I have got rid of it twice for it to get another lease of life and me pick it up again,

I Really have to Back You up on this Pete,,,, i was there,,, i hated it  lol

But ended up buying one to play evenutually,,, im still not keen on the bloody record 

Personally i cant see why theres so much fuss of WHO/WHERE this record was played first

Does this sort of EGO thing really matter??

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I Really have to Back You up on this Pete,,,, i was there,,, i hated it  lol

But ended up buying one to play evenutually,,, im still not keen on the bloody record 

Personally i cant see why theres so much fuss of WHO/WHERE this record was played first

Does this sort of EGO thing really matter??

Come on now Nige, you bought more than just one and they didn't do you any harm :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not sure why in this particular case people can't distinguish between "known" and "popular".

Ergo it might have been "popularised" at Burnley but it was certainly "known" earlier at Prestwich where I first heard it.

And I didn't like it then and it becoming "popular" has not changed that view.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Again il back you up completly  Pete ,,, Once i realised its potential i  have  sold loads through my sales and its still a solid seller,,,and the main venues i do it was/is certainly popular,,

Coming back to my remark who played it where first thing Pete,,, it wasnt aimed at you old son,,, i just dont get whoever runs Burnley it HAD to be played there first,, of ALL the bleedin records ,,, its so amusing ,,, even Joan Livesy found it funny...

I hope this thread goes BACK ON TOPIC,,, ,,, it was very  interesting   until STANKY got every body FUNKY!!

Nige I haven't claimed to play it first, anything but mate, was just reminiscing with Patto with regards to it being played at Prestwich and time scales, and then remembered how well it sold,

Which is why I have let it go a couple of times myself as I said earlier,

Like you say back on topic now :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Oh dear o.k chalkey,,,,you always think it,s about who knew or played it first.....well i,,ll tell ya  i,ve been about many moons  and before the mighty FRED KROLL  played this cheap,everyone knew,played all over the gaff record   i,d never heard it anywhere?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

soul source search gives you more  :P

there's a 2007 thread straight after it was played at burnley

sales later at 25 rasing to 80, then features in wants , playlists etc etc

Thank you mike..........it matters not who/when it was played......some on here never got it then and still don,t now.....probably why the wilton died.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Read the other posts you ****ing knob. Apologies accepted. Bloody know-it-all's on here, know **** all.

Thats coz they don,y stay out long enough........we all know the argument has nowt to do with Stanky......  job done.. :thumbsup::D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Well Phil,I've read the post that Gordon put on and this is what I was going off  played by Fred at Burnley 4 years ago 2010..that's what I was going on 4yrs ago I knew for a fact it was being played at least 3 yrs before that all over the place in the northwest ..

Your a very naughty numbskull calling me a ..ing so n so LOL

but fred did play it long before all the( i played it mob) but it was at least 7 years ago maybe more  but not  not 4  ,  and fred doesn't come on here or have owt to do with northern soul ego scene anyone that knows him as i do will tell you the same 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Oh dear o.k chalkey,,,,you always think it,s about who knew or played it first.....well i,,ll tell ya  i,ve been about many moons  and before the mighty FRED KROLL  played this cheap,everyone knew,played all over the gaff record   i,d never heard it anywhere?

No it isn't all about who played it where or when.  You may have been about a long time, you were also pretty inactive for some time too on the nighter scene and the club scene, especially up north, you missed a lot as did Phil.  Going by the time scale you and Phil were spouting off about, I said it was already known and had plays before 4/5 years ago.

Social source share

No it bloody wasn't. They all jumped on it after Fred played it. None of you have a clue when it was played, I have.

As Pete S said the record was known in the Torch days and did get a few spins back then.

It never really took off and has been played on and off all over the place ever since.

I've had it for over forty years, well I did have until somebody offered me 80 quid for it  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No it isn't all about who played it where or when.  You may have been about a long time, you were also pretty inactive for some time too on the nighter scene and the club scene, especially up north, you missed a lot as did Phil.  Going by the time scale you and Phil were spouting off about, I said it was already known and had plays before 4/5 years ago.

wrong.....never been inactive as you put it.You,ve lived up there and been more inactive :thumbsup::)

Social source share

Stanky was played at various venues (north west) in the early seventies.  It never took off as most of my crowd then classed it as Funk!  To me it was a failed Northern record then,  as the turn over was rapid and many records fell by the wayside.

I didn't like it then, but I don't mind it now and  I actually enjoy seeing people dance to it, thesedays.

I have a demo of it and I'm sure it has the date biroed on it as a 1969 release?

Can anyone confirm the release date, please?

Louis

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This thread just about sums up the who played what first argument.

There are boatloads of sounds that were reputedly discover/first played in the 80's/90's

that were actually played in the early/mid seventies.

Stevens & Foster on Jerri anyone ?.

First played at the Mecca shortly after it was released, but you can bet most think some

enterprising 'modern room' DJ.discovered it in the last 10 years.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Really do not understand this statement? "I hated it but ended up buying one to play" why?  Surely as a dj you can /should only play records that you yourself believe in or has pleasing the crowd gone to such extremes?

Seems in a way "the ego thing is there" Stanky(shit ,don´t like it but full dancefloor= applause) ? better record lesser dance floor re-action. :thumbup:

Do not mis-interpretate my statement please,not saying dj should play obscure/rare etc but to actually play a record they personally do not like smells a bit tio me :g:

I respect a DJ who will buy a record and play it even if he doesn't like it

DJs are employed to entertain the dance floor so its his job to play current fad records

The punters have paid there money and should hear the tunes that does it for them

But I do agree that the record is s--t   

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

As Pete S said the record was known in the Torch days and did get a few spins back then.

It never really took off and has been played on and off all over the place ever since.

I've had it for over forty years, well I did have until somebody offered me 80 quid for it  :thumbup:

A surprise it didn't work back then. Off the back of Purple Haze or Keep On Keeping On perhaps? :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Who played it first and when,never come across such a daft thread ,I remember hearing it regular 10 maybe 15 years ago ,round Nottm,Mansfield ,Chesterfield,Sheffield areas ,and its a great dance tune ,fills the floor bloody soul snobs ,bloody idiots more like 

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who played it first and when,never come across such a daft thread ,I remember hearing it regular 10 maybe 15 years ago ,round Nottm,Mansfield ,Chesterfield,Sheffield areas ,and its a great dance tune ,fills the floor bloody soul snobs ,bloody idiots more like 

But that's what we do on this forum isn't it? Somebody states as a fact that a certain track was played at a particular venue in a particular year.

Somebody might know differently and says so. Maybe not the most riveting of exchange of opinions but not particularly daft either.

So if you don't like the track you're firstly a soul snob and then, worse, a bloody idiot.

Personal preference anyone?

Social source share

But that's what we do on this forum isn't it? Somebody states as a fact that a certain track was played at a particular venue in a particular year.

Somebody might know differently and says so. Maybe not the most riveting of exchange of opinions but not particularly daft either.

So if you don't like the track you're firstly a soul snob and then, worse, a bloody idiot.

Personal preference anyone?

Jaco first ,who played it first and when is pretty much impossible to answer

Second choosing not to play a tune because you personaly don't like  even if the foor does ,is to me idiotic

as you say "personal preference's" and opinions 

Social source share

Jaco first ,who played it first and when is pretty much impossible to answer

Second choosing not to play a tune because you personaly don't like  even if the foor does ,is to me idiotic

as you say "personal preference's" and opinions 

I get the " impossible to answer" bit and I do agree that it's difficult to ignore a tune if the dance floor gives a positive reaction.

However I was talking as a punter not a DJ. I don't like the track but it makes not one iota of difference to me if others do.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!