Stanky - Billy Davis Talk (Split From Orig Thread)

Guest gordon russell

Is it "quality" - No. And now....(understating the case)....."overplayed"....bring on the next big thing...for the dance floor purists, DJ's tout it around as the next big thing, usually a vested interest involved there, watch the price rocket i.e. Velvet Hammer (£100+) then it's booted- the truth is even the "big ticket" items eventually drop out of fashion and move on to something else. One of the things that drew me to the rare soul scene was the ability of DJ's as well as venues brave enough to play something different.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well Phil,I've read the post that Gordon put on and this is what I was going off  played by Fred at Burnley 4 years ago 2010..that's what I was going on 4yrs ago I knew for a fact it was being played at least 3 yrs before that all over the place in the northwest ..

Your a very naughty numbskull calling me a ..ing so n so LOL

My how time flys  just got my years wrong thats all my apologies

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

but fred did play it long before all the( i played it mob) but it was at least 7 years ago maybe more  but not  not 4  ,  and fred doesn't come on here or have owt to do with northern soul ego scene anyone that knows him as i do will tell you the same 

just got me years wrong paul......how are ya anyway :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Stanky was played at various venues (north west) in the early seventies.  It never took off as most of my crowd then classed it as Funk!  To me it was a failed Northern record then,  as the turn over was rapid and many records fell by the wayside.

I didn't like it then, but I don't mind it now and  I actually enjoy seeing people dance to it, thesedays.

I have a demo of it and I'm sure it has the date biroed on it as a 1969 release?

Can anyone confirm the release date, please?

Louis

Louis.........you can,t possibly be old enough to know this? :P

Social source share

Just chalk it up as one of a number of records from Bunny Jones. She was an interesting lady. And her son was Chris Jones (Jonz) worked for a number of labels, Motown, Scepter etc. I could go on about Bunny's other work, lots of good stuff from Harlem and she was also behind that "I was born this way" gay thing, which she sold out of the boot of her car first.

Her influence was great, but all people are interested in is which DJ played "Stanky" first. It was probably Frankie Loveman Crocker on WWRL. Listened to it for a minute and went "Ooooh shit" and took it off and threw it in his bin. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This is what l mean,  loads of posts about how cheap it is with the veiled inference that ergo it,s no good.....who played it first so as it was known   ergo no good.........just needed the right bloke at the right time...at the right venue.....and wallop  a reet little belter  packing the floor for the right reasons.........a great night out amongst some top people who didn't/don,t give a monkeys about the first part of the above.     wey hey

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Well Phil,I've read the post that Gordon put on and this is what I was going off  played by Fred at Burnley 4 years ago 2010..that's what I was going on 4yrs ago I knew for a fact it was being played at least 3 yrs before that all over the place in the northwest ..

Your a very naughty numbskull calling me a ..ing so n so LOL

according to memory. and now checked out with rob smith we first heard this reactivation at Blackburn. Rob used to play it sunday afternoons in the secret nottingham tape sounds private club  late 1978/79- me and him - cost £1.25 off duss binstanley list, also appeared on brian philips l;ists before that, for 75p--- Blackburn is at least 10 maybe 14 years past......................

utter crap -anyway

tommy dent, barrons, freddy 'creeper' robinson, vonettes are soulish

tracks to your mind. and stankey are nowhere near

but then that is what our scene is made of, lots of pop and all genre masqueraders

Edited by enchantedrythm
Social source share

this record was activated by FRED KROLL at the burnley nighters some 4 years ago.....

P.S  people may or may not like this....it,s not about a single tune (same for evonne fair) it,s about that tune in the context of the night

P.P.S  I see one of the people who thinks it,s rubbish is CASPER  who plays bootlegs and bootlegs of  COBBLESTONE trick me treat me ....well if ever there was a shit pop record   there ya go  and to play it on a boot.....really? lol  lol  lol

I don't understand the last comment, there are very few people on the scene who haven't bought a bootleg or reissue at some time. As for playing em, I sometimes play bootlegs, reissues, compilation albums, tapes and CD's in the comfort of my own home, but I try to play OVO at venues.

I can't speak about the distant past; but I'm pretty sure these days Casper only plays OVO at venues so I guess you haven't been invited out much recently.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I don't understand the last comment, there are very few people on the scene who haven't bought a bootleg or reissue at some time. As for playing em, I sometimes play bootlegs, reissues, compilation albums, tapes and CD's in the comfort of my own home, but I try to play OVO at venues.

I can't speak about the distant past; but I'm pretty sure these days Casper only plays OVO at venues so I guess you haven't been invited out much recently.

he,s a fraud!........or better known as a wanna-be.

Social source share

he,s a fraud!........or better known as a wanna-be.

Gordon .. i do not own any bootlegs, second issues, etc only first issues  .. anyone who see's me around is invited to look in my record collection without exception .. when i started i did have a mix of all sorts , but very soon  I   "got it"   and got rid of all that kind of thing and bought all originals , please ask Ted Massey , Mick h, Nige Brown , Sean Chapman, Ginger Taylor , Richard Serling , Mark freeman, Pete Eccles, John Vincent, etc  to name just a few.. they will all vouch for me ... 

ps. my Trick me treat me was bought from Derek Mead @ soulmine , £380 , would anyone like a picture ?

pps. I just don't like stanky ... many many people do .. i just don't  ... 

ATB pete 

Edited by casper
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

For some reason this post was removed. This proves that I was right all along.

mike, on 17 Dec 2014 - 7:28 PM, said:

snapback.png

soul source search gives you more   :P

there's a 2007 thread straight after it was played at burnley

sales later at 25 rasing to 80, then features in wants , playlists etc etc

Thank you mike.........I am now taking apologies.

Social source share

Gordon .. i do not own any bootlegs, second issues, etc only first issues  .. anyone who see's me around is invited to look in my record collection without exception .. when i started i did have a mix of all sorts , but very soon  I   "got it"   and got rid of all that kind of thing and bought all originals , please ask Ted Massey , Mick h, Nige Brown , Sean Chapman, Ginger Taylor , Richard Serling , Mark freeman, Pete Eccles, John Vincent, etc  to name just a few.. they will all vouch for me ... 

ps. my Trick me treat me was bought from Derek Mead @ soulmine , £380 , would anyone like a picture ?

ATB pete 

pete you dont have to justify yourself to anybody

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

ATB pete 

Unfortunately l don,t know any of these people......must frequent different places?  atb  jim

Social source share

For some reason this post was removed. This proves that I was right all along.

mike, on 17 Dec 2014 - 7:28 PM, said:

snapback.png

Thank you mike.........I am now taking apologies.

Taking apologies for what ?.

Claiming a record was first played in 2007 when it was played over 30 years earlier ?.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know...that's what I thought.I thought it was a 150 record.Anyway Casper is not guilty of boots but guilty of white pop.What are the sentencing guidelines.?

What category does Outsiders - Lonely man come into?

or John E Paul - I wanna know?

or Frank Pop - Breakaway?

or The Free = Taking it away?

or Bonnie St Claire - I Surrender?

I will have to lock myself up rather than wait for the soul police to get me; but my psychiatrist said it may be some time before they let me out of the institution where I am currently housed......

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

pete you dont have to justify yourself to anybody

i dont like facetious remarks like those made here-no need for it- and aimed at my mate pete--Editor

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

This is what l mean,  loads of posts about how cheap it is with the veiled inference that ergo it,s no good.....who played it first so as it was known   ergo no good.........just needed the right bloke at the right time...at the right venue.....and wallop  a reet little belter  packing the floor for the right reasons.........a great night out amongst some top people who didn't/don,t give a monkeys about the first part of the above.     wey hey

i think your posts are equally unrewarding in their negativiity, and convert your persona into the very thing you gripe about ha ha Leave it alone eh?

Social source share

A mate of mine swears blind it was quite a big tune at The Wheel in Manchester.

Is this code talk for something else or am I being a bit daft?

Even my pet dog Spanker thinks this record is Bonio.

Derek x

Would like confirmation if this is true........................as I was at an event where the DJ (?) was playing 'Wheel' only spins and when I asked for 'Stanky' was looked down on as if I was something that had emanated from the rectum of my dog

Social source share

I know...that's what I thought.I thought it was a 150 record.Anyway Casper is not guilty of boots but guilty of white pop.What are the sentencing guidelines.?

The sentencing guidelines are in the Appendices at the back of The Manual.As an under cover operative,you should know.OOppppss,,cover blown.Sorry.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah Mellorful it is nice to see you are admitting your crimes.You are now sentenced forthwith.

The Outsiders Lonely Man-Varied sentence.From lp..a live concert of Judy Street.From the boot.A free weekend at Skeggy.

Frank Popp-Breakaway.The most serious of the offences.White pop,modern recorded white pop and crap to boot.Sentencing will be in conjunction with The Skeggy weekended.A pair of red white and blue bowling shoes whilst wearing flashmob mans baggies.

The Free-Lesser of the crimes as Richard Can do no wrong Searling tried to push it and failed.

Bonnie St Clair-A mod scene record that should stay there.There are enough soul records out there.Sentence.Locked in a sol confinement with the reformed Wogans Ovation.

John E Paul-Should never have been played again and never after the cat food fiasco.Guilty.

Take him down.

By way of mitigation I saw the Judy Street Blackpool performance, suffered post traumatic stess and went out and bought The Outsiders LP etc....

The psychological damage was done and still in therapy.

Seen Judy Street perform this year and that time she was very good, others confirmed same but she performed timi yuro tunes etc.  Had to face the demons....... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Head on the block time….but I hope these examples help.

I had ‘Herbert Hunter - Push Away From The Table’ (The other side to ‘I was Born To Love You’) covered up in the nineties (I ‘championed’ it) Butch actually asked me about it at The 100 Club after Bob Hinsley had raved about it - I remember being absolutely mortified  (Who was I to start covering up records?!)……”What’s this Cover Up on Spar you’ve been playing Len?”……I honestly thought he was taking the p*ss out of me - I immediately ‘crumbled’, and very awkwardly told him what it was (bracing myself for ridicule) …..I was then gobsmacked when he smiled, and replied…..”Good for you mate, keep it covered up, it’s all psychological”….I actually needed confirmation, and said.....”Really?”……”Yup”…….My ‘Audience with Butch’ had timed out - Great stuff :D…….I did appreciate his reassurance though as it helped me to further understand the art of D.Jing (I’ll get there one day) :wink:

‘The Dream Merchants - Stop You’re Breaking My Heart’ (Rennee) is also one of mine. I named that Cover Up after recognising the similarity. I then bought a further 6 copies (Covering them all up to create 'Mystery') and sold them to friends for £6.00 each (To get it ‘out there’) I remember The Banbury Boys telling me that my record was being played everywhere (I thought they were winding me up)

A while back Paul Donnelly started a thread on it, stating….”I know this was played at Stafford covered up as Walter and The Admirations”….Carl Fortnum confirmed any doubts I had (after reading Pauls thread) categorically saying it was never played at Stafford (No disrespect to Paul, that was simply the information that he had been given)

Who has the inspiration, and does the ‘work’ on a record does get lost sometimes, or confused with ‘knowing it first’….I think it is nice when it is remembered, and certain records get associated with certain D.J’s for this reason (etiquette)

Two people playing the exact same record, can make it sound oh so different.

Does that match up right with your point Terry? (I’m sure it does)

One record may be associated with more than one D.J, which is absolutely fine if they were individually inspired (This could depend on demographics / or maybe how many times a record has been reactivated)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - This kind of information is inevitably going to be ‘sketchy’ / only known by some - Mo (of Mick and) had noted that I broke ‘Ritchie Havens - I can’t Make It Anymore’ at The 100 Club some years back (It was nice to know someone was listening, and remembered)

P.P.s - I know compared to the ‘Ady Croasdells’ of this Scene, the above may sound a bit silly (I understand the person who sang the song played a pretty important part in this process Ady) But what Terry has highlighted is that ‘personal creativity’ is what is lacking sometimes.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

What category does Outsiders - Lonely man come into?

or John E Paul - I wanna know?

or Frank Pop - Breakaway?

or The Free = Taking it away?

or Bonnie St Claire - I Surrender?

I will have to lock myself up rather than wait for the soul police to get me; but my psychiatrist said it may be some time before they let me out of the institution where I am currently housed......

definitely in the same league as stanky....puts tin hat on
Social source share

Head on the block time….but I hope these examples help.

I had ‘Herbert Hunter - Push Away From The Table’ (The other side to ‘I was Born To Love You’) covered up in the nineties (I ‘championed’ it) Butch actually asked me about it at The 100 Club after Bob Hinsley had raved about it - I remember being absolutely mortified  (Who was I to start covering up records?!)……”What’s this Cover Up on Spar you’ve been playing Len?”……I honestly thought he was taking the p*ss out of me - I immediately ‘crumbled’, and very awkwardly told him what it was (bracing myself for ridicule) …..I was then gobsmacked when he smiled, and replied…..”Good for you mate, keep it covered up, it’s all psychological”….I actually needed confirmation, and said.....”Really?”……”Yup”…….My ‘Audience with Butch’ had timed out - Great stuff :D…….I did appreciate his reassurance though as it helped me to further understand the art of D.Jing (I’ll get there one day) :wink:

‘The Dream Merchants - Stop You’re Breaking My Heart’ (Rennee) is also one of mine. I named that Cover Up after recognising the similarity. I then bought a further 6 copies (Covering them all up to create 'Mystery') and sold them to friends for £6.00 each (To get it ‘out there’) I remember The Banbury Boys telling me that my record was being played everywhere (I thought they were winding me up)

A while back Paul Donnelly started a thread on it, stating….”I know this was played at Stafford covered up as Walter and The Admirations”….Carl Fortnum confirmed any doubts I had (after reading Pauls thread) categorically saying it was never played at Stafford (No disrespect to Paul, that was simply the information that he had been given)

Who has the inspiration, and does the ‘work’ on a record does get lost sometimes, or confused with ‘knowing it first’….I think it is nice when it is remembered, and certain records get associated with certain D.J’s for this reason (etiquette)

Two people playing the exact same record, can make it sound oh so different.

Does that match up right with your point Terry? (I’m sure it does)

One record may be associated with more than one D.J, which is absolutely fine if they were individually inspired (This could depend on demographics / or maybe how many times a record has been reactivated)

All the best,

P.s - This kind of information is inevitably going to be ‘sketchy’ / only known by some - Mo (of Mick and) had noted that I broke ‘Ritchie Havens - I can’t Make It Anymore’ at The 100 Club some years back (It was nice to know someone was listening, and remembered)

P.P.s - I know compared to the ‘Ady Croasdells’ of this Scene, the above may sound a bit silly (I understand the person who sang the song played a pretty important part in this process Ady) But what Terry has highlighted is that ‘personal creativity’ is what is lacking sometimes.

lol..don't shoot the messenger Len...I asked a question, which prompted a PM from a guy who was a Stafford regular offering me an answer to my question which I then posted on the thread, HOWEVER if CF says it wasn't played @ Stafford then IT wasn't, back to Billy Davis....I played this circa 1975 @ the Wirrina after first hearing this probably 1973ish...take care Len..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

lol..don't shoot the messenger Len...I asked a question, which prompted a PM from a guy who was a Stafford regular offering me an answer to my question which I then posted on the thread, HOWEVER if CF says it wasn't played @ Stafford then IT wasn't, back to Billy Davis....I played this circa 1975 @ the Wirrina after first hearing this probably 1973ish...take care Len..

It was played at Stafford, covered up by Butch in the upstairs room, I have Butch's playlist for the last night of Stafford in which he played it, so that is one night at least.  The flip was played at Wigan apparently by Pat Brady.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wonder what Billy Davis would have thought if he knew that 45 years after he "funked his stank" (or should that be "stanked his funk"?), his seminal stomper would be the subject of much heated debate amongst a group of Brits on their home computing devices?

For my part, I'd be interested to know who or what was Stanky, and why he /she or it needed to get funky in the first place.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was played at Stafford, covered up by Butch in the upstairs room, I have Butch's playlist for the last night of Stafford in which he played it, so that is one night at least.  The flip was played at Wigan apparently by Pat Brady.

" Life Of Tears " was played at Wigan by Pat ,around 1980 ,  I had a great quality live tape of it , until I loaned it to someone who wiped it by mistake .

Edited by Eddie Hubbard
Social source share

Ok mate - That leads us to the main point of the discussion. I never claimed to have discovered it, this was a reactivation (probably a third one at that) Just as Terry says about Fred playing Stanky - He played it with 'impact', and got such a reaction to it, people are still talking about it years later (Well done that man)

Btw, did Butch also cover up 'The Dream Merchants' as Walter And The Admirations? (That coincidence could easily have happened)

P.s - Chalky, do you laugh when I try so hard to be 'cutting edge' just before you tell me it was played at Stafford for the umpteenth time?! :D .....To me 'Cutting Edge' is keeping things interesting (reactivations being an important part)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I wonder what Billy Davis would have thought if he knew that 45 years after he "funked his stank" (or should that be "stanked his funk"?), his seminal stomper would be the subject of much heated debate amongst a group of Brits on their home computing devices?

For my part, I'd be interested to know who or what was Stanky, and why he /she or it needed to get funky in the first place.

This is a very serious matter....... :rofl:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Ok mate - That leads us to the main point of the discussion. I never claimed to have discovered it, this was a reactivation (probably a third one at that) Just as Terry says about Fred playing Stanky - He played it with 'impact', and got such a reaction to it, people are still talking about it years later (Well done that man)

Btw, did Butch also call cover 'The Dream Merchants' up as Walter And The Admirations? (That coincidence could easily have happened)

P.s - Chalky, do you laugh when I try so hard to be 'cutting edge' just before you tell me it was played at Stafford for the umpteenth time?! :D .....To me 'Cutting Edge' is keeping things interesting (reactivations being an important part)

Sorry to disagree on your last point Len.... to me "cutting edge" and "reactivate" = new & old.... don't go together :)

Social source share

Think i read somewhere that STANKY was the name Davis gave to his Guitar

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!