Stanky - Billy Davis Talk (Split From Orig Thread)

Guest gordon russell

Sorry to disagree on your last point Len.... to me "cutting edge" and "reactivate" = new & old.... don't go together :)

No need to be sorry for disagreeing - We will 'agree to disagree' here, because I am a great believer in 'light and shade' - Look at the effect of just that in 'The case of Stanky'

'Cutting Edge' through the 80's would have been as you describe it, but my view is that it had to change slightly or the new records would run out - I see it as giving it a new dimension, and let's face it, when a great oldie is whacked on it can give the night a real 'boost' :wink: 

Old and New compliment each other.

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Thats what he said Kevin

No he said Butch played it Covered up - The chap that rang Paul Donnelly said it was also covered at Stafford as 'Walter And The Admirations'. :wink:

Chalky will confirm - Not that important, but interesting to know.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

No he said Butch played it Covered up - The chap that rang Paul Donnelly said it was also covered at Stafford as 'The Dream Merchants'.

Chalky will confirm - Not that important, but interesting to know.

What was covered up as The Dream Merchants, you lost me lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No need to be sorry for disagreeing - We will 'agree to disagree' here, because I am a great believer in 'light and shade' - Look at the effect of just that in 'The case of Stanky'

'Cutting Edge' through the 80's would have been as you describe it, but my view is that it had to change slightly or the new records would run out - I see it as giving it a new dimension, and let's face it, when a great oldie is whacked on it can give the night a real 'boost' :wink: 

Old and New compliment each other.

OK Len, i'm wrong. Where can i go to hear cutting edge oldies?

Social source share

Sorry to disagree on your last point Len.... to me "cutting edge" and "reactivate" = new & old.... don't go together :)

Hi mate,

Out of interest, would you have welcomed my maybe a 3rd reactivation of 'The Dream Merchants' at a Cutting Edge' venue?

Surely something like this has a place as so many people didn't know it - If we didn't reactivate records some would disappear without being used to their full potential.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Hi mate,

Out of interest, would you have welcomed my maybe a 3rd reactivation of 'The Dream Merchants' at a Cutting Edge' venue?

Surely something like this has a place as so many people didn't know it - If we didn't reactivate records some would disappear without being used to their full potential.

I wouldn't want to hear an oldie (Dream Merchants) at a cutting edge (Soulfunktion for example) venue :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK Len, i'm wrong. Where can i go to hear cutting edge oldies?

You're not wrong :D It's just my opinion that to include some good reactivated tunes, and a few great oldies is a positive addition to a cutting edge night (helps the atmosphere)

Ok, I can except you don't want any 'great oldies' at a cutting edge night because you know those, and defeats the object - But do you welcome those tunes that are only known to very few people? Some of them will be new (cutting edge) to various people.

P.s - I suppose your argument is that doing so waters down the whole meaning of cutting edge (which is a fair point)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Just woke up again... and confused, is this a Stanky thread or Dream Merchants?

Not that anyone's bothered like but neither would get into the hall of fame :sleep3:

Stanky davis was the lead singer.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Don't think I have ever heard this 'Stanky'. Is it the same Billy Davis who worked at Motown / Chess and later went into writing advertising jingles ('I'd like to buy the world a coke' aka 'I'd like to teach the workd to sing')?

Social source share

Jackie Follett and Dana Valery are in the sixties pop boxes.Haven't got Al McArthur.Taj Mahal is in the northern oldies box.He was amazing in The Rolling Stones RocknRoll Circus.Ritchie Havens is pleasant folk music though.I have a few of his lp's and Oxford Town on Big T.I even prefer The Brian Auger version of Indian Rope Man to his and he did the original.Has anyone ever played Simon& Garfunkel out??

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Love Richie Havens, but his version of 'I can't make it any more' can hardly be claimed by anyone on this scene as a 'discovery' (the LP it is from is a well known classic of its genre and must have sold a fair few at the time and over the years).

Not remotely danceable either!

Social source share

P.s - I suppose your argument is that doing so waters down the whole meaning of cutting edge (which is a fair point)

You're not wrong either though Len.

If someone can tell me where I can access an all-nighter's worth of quality SOUL records that are 'cutting edge' - inc no re-activations - I'll walk to it from Preston.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Love Richie Havens, but his version of 'I can't make it any more' can hardly be claimed by anyone on this scene as a 'discovery' (the LP it is from is a well known classic of its genre and must have sold a fair few at the time and over the years).

Not remotely danceable either!

The single version is very different to theLP, even I can manage a hobble to it
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I would rather listen to my own firing squad!!.............or even bang my head repeatedly on the table for approximately 3 minutes because it sounds so similar.

As I apparently didn`t tell Pete Eccles  :rofl:  when he spun it at Ramsbottom last night........ :lol: ........Horrible pile of $hite! 

But if people want to dance to it.............(some folk would dance to a fire-alarm)..............WTF do I know  :rofl:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest son of stan

The single version is very different to theLP, even I can manage a hobble to it

Oh ok. I didn't realise there was a different mix on a single, always known it off the LP and assumed it was well known that Spyder Turner is a cover of a better known record. Only time I heard it at 100 Club I thought it was off the LP

A case of 'Remixed Bag' then!

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

!!!

I would rather listen to my own firing squad!!.............or even bang my head repeatedly on the table for approximately 3 minutes because it sounds so similar.

As I told Pete Eccles when he spun it at Ramsbottom last night........ :lol: ........Horrible pile of $hite! 

But if people want to dance to it.............(some folk would dance to a fire-alarm)..............WTF do I know  :rofl:

You mentioned you had been suffering from back trouble last night Steve, maybe you should've had your ears checked while you were being treated...................I most certainly did NOT play this at Ramsbottom last night, and you didn't mention it to me!!!!!! :rofl:

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Stanky is a very predictable spin these days because you hear it at most NW venues every Friday & Saturday; it nearly always gets a section of the audience off their seats and onto the dance floor. Eventually people will get bored of hearing it and another tune will replace it.

Couple of years ago Don Thomas was played all the time, these days I might hear it once every three months.

The next debate will be what will replace Stanky? That question is for another thread but I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions.

Social source share

You mentioned you had been suffering from back trouble last night Steve, maybe you should've had your ears checked while you were being treated...................I most certainly did NOT play this at Ramsbottom last night, and you didn't mention it to me!!!!!! :rofl:

I stand corrected mate!........now I have my brain in gear I seem to recall you and I talking about it as the Lawman was playing it...... :g: .....maybe  :lol:

Social source share

I stand corrected mate!........now I have my brain in gear I seem to recall you and I talking about it as the Lawman was playing it...... :g: .....maybe  :lol:

I don't know what's on your prescriptions Steve, I don't remember it being played last night(although that doesn't mean it wasn't) but I know we didn't have a discussion about it, well not in my world we didn't :D

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Gordon, are you getting mixed up with Spencer Davis?

No  you mean spencer bags.....l mean steve davis who sung  skanky...do keep up

Social source share

I don't know what's on your prescriptions Steve, I don't remember it being played last night(although that doesn't mean it wasn't) but I know we didn't have a discussion about it, well not in my world we didn't :D

Oh well................ :sleep3: this means I can`t remember what we were talking about.....just before you left it was anyway, and yes....it was played, Steve Wild agreed it was crap!

:yes:

Social source share

Len can you step away from the chocolate liqueurs please lol

:huh:  I think I've reactivated this thread!

To answer an earlier post - This thread is about Stanky, and the point being that yes, it's only an 'ok' record, but was played to great effect - The Dream Merchants also only an 'ok' record (and I won't shout about Ritchie Havens) But all did work for some reason.........Maybe it was the Chocolate Liqueurs......

.......Christ, I think some of you lot put the music above having a good time  :D

Edited by LEN
Social source share

You're not wrong either though Len.

If someone can tell me where I can access an all-nighter's worth of quality SOUL records that are 'cutting edge' - inc no re-activations - I'll walk to it from Preston.

It goes back to not everyone knows what others do, and I think it's silly to write off anything that has been played before for the sake of the true meaning of 'cutting edge'......actually, what is the true meaning of cutting edge? I thought it meant somewhere different from an out and out Oldies night, trying to push boundaries whilst keeping a great atmosphere - Giving folk a good time (The fine balance)

I heard The Dream Merchants both at Burnley, and The Wilton - I see both venues as cutting edge (my understanding)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It goes back to not everyone knows what others do, and I think it's silly to write off anything that has been played before for the sake of the true meaning of 'cutting edge'......actually, what is the true meaning of cutting edge? I thought it meant somewhere different from an out and out Oldies night, trying to push boundaries whilst keeping a great atmosphere - Giving folk a good time (The fine balance)[/font

Yeah, atmosphere mate; that's the badger innit. That subtle blend of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide (and a hint of argon); balance, as you say.

Merry Chrimbo to you n yours Len x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It goes back to not everyone knows what others do, and I think it's silly to write off anything that has been played before for the sake of the true meaning of 'cutting edge'......actually, what is the true meaning of cutting edge? I thought it meant somewhere different from an out and out Oldies night, trying to push boundaries whilst keeping a great atmosphere - Giving folk a good time (The fine balance)

I heard The Dream Merchants both at Burnley, and The Wilton - I see both venues as cutting edge (my understanding)

You don,t understand very much len  maybe it,s because you're only twelve....can,t speak for the Wilton,but burnley is all encompassing all inclusive (dance soul) with a capital D  thats what spawned THE BURNLEY SOUND  the clues in the phrase   it has it,s own unique sound....of course available now elsewhere at selected venues  (limited menu choice)....

P.S Merry xmas to you and your family  from us

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Don't think I have ever heard this 'Stanky'. Is it the same Billy Davis who worked at Motown / Chess and later went into writing advertising jingles ('I'd like to buy the world a coke' aka 'I'd like to teach the workd to sing')?

Yes. Same dude. Also got an acetate of him from this period, quite a fair northern sound. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!