News: Wendy Rene R.i.p.

Guest Dave Turner

RIP Sad loss.

After Laughter - After ? years of listening to it still does it from first to last.
3 mins of sheer genius. I just listened to it 3 times and listening as I type.
Amongst those who if that was all they ever did in their lives, for me it would be enough.
I would still owe them.

Side note
Of all the keyboard brilliance that Booker T did over the years that has to be one of my

faves. So all in all all time top 10 ever track for me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I only knew the BBQ track ( which I've never liked) until what will tomorrow bring was on Dave Godins first deep soul cd - in fact I am sure I heard him play it on a Sunday radio show ( must have been R  Searling's?) anyway I bought that single and yes it had After Laughter on flip. Since then I've discovered so many sublime tunes by her that she is, along with Linda Jones my fave female vocalists.

does it get any better than After Laughter, I wish I were that girl , Crowded Park, Crying all by myself et al?

rip Wendy and thanks for the pleasure you've given us

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A Seattle label called Light In the Attic released a comp of all her sides...I saw it in the downtown Cleveland library while trolling through the CD's. May have to pick it up to see if there's anything unissued.

RIP, Wendy...hope there's some good Bar-B-Q up there for ya!

Best,

Mark

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A Seattle label called Light In the Attic released a comp of all her sides...I saw it in the downtown Cleveland library while trolling through the CD's. May have to pick it up to see if there's anything unissued.

RIP, Wendy...hope there's some good Bar-B-Q up there for ya!

Best,

Mark

That's the "After Laughter Comes Tears" CD, also came out as a vinyl double LP

I think perhaps about half the track are originally unissued

30 second track samples

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/684-after-laughter-comes-tears-complete-stax-volt-singles-+-rarities-1964-1965

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!