Why Dont D.j.s Use The Mike

What do you class as the role a DJ plays.Is it to bring us poular and / or unknown sounds. Is it to inform us. Is it to entertain us. Is it to educate us .Is it to trick us. How can somone DJ and not use the mike. Does he then just become a human jukebox. shout.gif

Social source share

• Replies 114
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How can somone DJ and not use the mike.

Easy. just put the stylus on the record, cue it in then press start, whilst making sure volume levels are set correctly.

I wanna hear music - not some in audiable waffle from someone tellling me that I haven't got any soul if i don't dance to such and such a tune.

Social source share

Easy. just put the stylus on the record, cue it in then press start, whilst making sure volume levels are set correctly.

I wanna hear music - not some in audiable waffle from someone tellling me that I haven't got any soul if i don't dance to such and such a tune.

I COULDENT AGREE MORE MATE :ohmy:
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

with ya 100% Rowly chief , i can and will if i have to but at basics for example we have a no mic policy but we have one if a guest "has to"

Social source share

Spot On !

Never can understand what they're saying anyway. If you want to know what a record is..............just go and ask.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Spot On !

Never can understand what they're saying anyway. If you want to know what a record is..............just go and ask.

:shades:

Much more skill IMO to putting together a set that 'flows' musically from one record to the next than (usually incomprehensibly) shouting out the record/artist/city of origin/encouragement to get on the dancefloor (we'll decide if we want to dance or not, thanks). Heard too many disjointed sets which people get away with because they ramble for long enough inbetween tunes. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Unless one can exhibit some sort of coherent verbal communication with your audience, married to an acquired skill of knowing how to fluently make one record follow another one is decidedly not a DJ, just a "Record-Putter-Onner"...

TONE (DEFINITELY A DJ) :ohmy:

Social source share

:shades:

Much more skill IMO to putting together a set that 'flows' musically from one record to the next than (usually incomprehensibly) shouting out the record/artist/city of origin/encouragement to get on the dancefloor (we'll decide if we want to dance or not, thanks). Heard too many disjointed sets which people get away with because they ramble for long enough inbetween tunes. :ohmy:

You mean a standard NS set. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Disagree.

(With Rowly and Davie, just for a change!) :ohmy:

I think DJs who use the mic are much more entertaining, as long as they're not as dull as dishwater like.

Social source share

You mean a standard NS set. :ohmy:

Funny how we we're talking about that very situation on friday night Dave :ohmy:

I have to say i agree with all the above, but a good DJ can use the mike to create an atmosphere, as well as put a flowing set together. dont like most of the ramblings on the mike but used in moderation it can be a handy tool.

P.S im not saying any one who doesnt use the mike is any less 'good' or not a proper DJ :ohmy:

Disagree.

(With Rowly and Davie, just for a change!) :(

I think DJs who use the mic are much more entertaining, as long as they're not as dull as dishwater like.

Great minds Mr BB! must be because we are both mods :shades::D

P.S i've got a picture of you with three ladys hands on your bottom from this morning your face looks terrified :D

Edited by Baz
Social source share

coherent verbal communication with your audience,

Exactly. But 99.9% of the time most dj's "banter" is totally incoherant. So don't bother, there's good guys n' gals! :ohmy::shades:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Exactly. But 99.9% of the time most dj's "banter" is totally incoherant. So don't bother, there's good guys n' gals! :ohmy::shades:

I think R&B DJs should be made to talk into the mic. For at least 60 minutes in an hour set.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I think R&B DJs should be made to talk into the mic. For at least 60 minutes in an hour set.

hey i hope that was aimed at him and not me :shades:

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

prefer a bit of chat inbetween myself

as long as its not a trip around america etc don't need to know everything about record been played and some do go on to the far end of a fart ,the late Tony Banks you could go to the bar ,ave a piss get changed and he was still talking :ohmy:

anyway gettin on a bit now need a breather between records :shades:

Social source share

Funny how we we're talking about that very situation on friday night Dave :ohmy:

Were we? :ohmy:

I have to say i agree with all the above, but a good DJ can use the mike to create an atmosphere, as well as put a flowing set together. dont like most of the ramblings on the mike but used in moderation it can be a handy tool.

P.S im not saying any one who doesnt use the mike is any less 'good' or not a proper DJ :(

Great minds Mr BB! must be because we are both mods :ohmy::D

P.S i've got a picture of you with three ladys hands on your bottom from this morning your face looks terrified :D

Got a funny feeling I can guess which three ladies they were! :shades::(

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

P.S i've got a picture of you with three ladys hands on your bottom from this morning your face looks terrified :lol:

That's my multiple orgasm face Baz!

"hey i hope that was aimed at him and not me :D "

Him Davie, although on second thoughts his middle-class posh boy Kent accent might get a bit too much after 30 mins :)

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

in my times of hearing the haggis keb speak on the mic, i think its been a good one

a little informative, tells it like it is, if he plays it twice as in soul45.org "its cause he wants to hear it again"

then fair play to him

im all for giving the crowd a bit if down low on the music

i fit doesnt distract from whats being played then why not.

all part of the fun in my opinion

hopefully we should all be half bladdered to either care, or think in the morning

"damn what was that record that was played again??"

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just buy a CD player and don't bother going out then. :) It's a really boring world where DJs just whack on one sound after another without any comment.

DJs should communicate and entertain and be informative and interesting. I want to know new sounds i'm hearing and i want the DJ to engage me. I want them to be passionate about what they're playing and maybe tell me something i don't know.

Totally agree with Sigher, all part of the fun. Dancers, DJ, venue.. it's all part of the mix for me. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Over the year i have to fill around 300 dj spots in the venues i run and help to run,i dont employ any djs that dont use the mic[to the best of my knowledge]all part of the job :lol: .

Well said. :)

Social source share

Him Davie, although on second thoughts his middle-class posh boy Kent accent might get a bit too much after 30 mins :lol:

If I've told you once I've told you 100 times.... - It's Sussex not Kent - you thick Scaaarse Git!

Social source share

Just buy a CD player and don't bother going out then. :D It's a really boring world where DJs just whack on one sound after another without any comment.

DJs should communicate and entertain and be informative and interesting. I want to know new sounds i'm hearing and i want the DJ to engage me. I want them to be passionate about what they're playing and maybe tell me something i don't know.

Totally agree with Sigher, all part of the fun. Dancers, DJ, venue.. it's all part of the mix for me. :)

But that's the whole point i was making. 9 times out of 10 you can't make out a word that they're saying.... it's just a garbled noise that Norman Collier would be proud of, ruining the flow of the music.... If you're gonna use the damn thing at least make sure you can talk proper, like wot I do.

Perhaps elocution lessons for dj's is the way forward? :D:lol:

Social source share

Over the year i have to fill around 300 dj spots in the venues i run and help to run,i dont employ any djs that dont use the mic[to the best of my knowledge]all part of the job :lol: .

Quite right Mr McCabe

Let's not forget, there's also a few DJs out there who can raise a laugh as well . That Chalky fellow is prone to dropping one syllable in 4 from time to time ;-)

Hammy

Social source share

At the end of the day it's all down to preference... some like ... some don't like.... pretty much as it is with everything on the soul scene.

Now i don't for one second consider myself a DJ... i'm just a lass who loves soul with a passion... loves to dance with a passion... and collect the odd record ... again .. with a passion... and if people ask me to do the odd spot... then i will do it ... again with a passion.

I personally don't use the mic... for no other reason other than the fact that i talk... err... a little fast... and therefore is definitely a blessing that i refrain.

So does that mean i shouldn't play records at a venue?

Bollocks!

Everybody that asks me to do a spot knows that i don't use the mic.

If that's a problem for you... then you don't ask me... quite simple really.

I think that the fact that i do get asked means that i must be doing something right in the eyes of the person doing the asking.... could that be the choice of records themselves i wonder?

Cos after all... surely they're what it's all about?

If you hear a 'DJ' ... i use that title loosely... play something that you like... get your arse up there and ask them what it is.

1) It gives the player of the record a bit of a buzz to know that someone thinks a record they've played is good.

2) You get to actually hear clearly who it's by... what it's called... what label it's on... a rough idea of rarity/price/chances of getting hold of one... and possibly even get to look at the record itself... which is always a good thing.

When someone says to me ... "oh .. why don't you talk?" i say "Why? The record says it far better than i ever could"!

Those who want to use the mic... knock yourselves out.

Those of us who don't... will knock ourselves out also... only quietly!!

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i prefer the mic user to be honest.

it may be old fashioned to some but i think it serves its purpose for thanking the last dj, introducing the new dj and also thanking the promoters. as well as the obvious announcement of records. if done right you can also give the crowd a kick up the arse.

no one better than roger banks for this

Shane

Social source share

Guest Brian J

Just buy a CD player and don't bother going out then. :) It's a really boring world where DJs just whack on one sound after another without any comment.

Totally agree with Sigher, all part of the fun. Dancers, DJ, venue.. it's all part of the mix for me. :lol:

.........apart from that it gives you time to get a drink and wipe your face before the next track starts! :D

Social source share

it may be old fashioned to some but i think it serves its purpose for thanking the last dj, introducing the new dj and also thanking the promoters. as well as the obvious announcement of records. if done right you can also give the crowd a kick up the arse.

Shane

[/q

Does the Mike know 'bout dis?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think it depends on the crowd , in my opinion younger crowds (like the one we get ) don't want it so we don't use it

Social source share

Guest Brian J

At the end of the day it's all down to preference... some like ... some don't like.... pretty much as it is with everything on the soul scene.

Now i don't for one second consider myself a DJ... i'm just a lass who loves soul with a passion... loves to dance with a passion... and collect the odd record ... again .. with a passion... and if people ask me to do the odd spot... then i will do it ... again with a passion.

I personally don't use the mic... for no other reason other than the fact that i talk... err... a little fast... and therefore is definitely a blessing that i refrain.

So does that mean i shouldn't play records at a venue?

Bollocks!

Everybody that asks me to do a spot knows that i don't use the mic.

If that's a problem for you... then you don't ask me... quite simple really.

I think that the fact that i do get asked means that i must be doing something right in the eyes of the person doing the asking.... could that be the choice of records themselves i wonder?

Cos after all... surely they're what it's all about?

If you hear a 'DJ' ... i use that title loosely... play something that you like... get your arse up there and ask them what it is.

1) It gives the player of the record a bit of a buzz to know that someone thinks a record they've played is good.

2) You get to actually hear clearly who it's by... what it's called... what label it's on... a rough idea of rarity/price/chances of getting hold of one... and possibly even get to look at the record itself... which is always a good thing.

When someone says to me ... "oh .. why don't you talk?" i say "Why? The record says it far better than i ever could"!

Those who want to use the mic... knock yourselves out.

Those of us who don't... will knock ourselves out also... only quietly!!

I liked this part.....

"and possibly even get to look at the record itself... which is always a good thing."

PMSL Makes me feel priveleged.

Social source share

I liked this part.....

"and possibly even get to look at the record itself... which is always a good thing."

PMSL Makes me feel priveleged.

Ha ha Brian ... never bought the wrong record by mistake then!!

I... unfortunately have.

All i was saying... it helps to know what the record actually looks like... nothing else.... ok?

Social source share

Totally agree Andy, it seems to me that dj's who don't use the mic are lacking confidence, I keep my chat to a minimum at all times but tell the crowd who it was and what the record is, I think some younger dj's are lacking maturity hence not speaking, just my opinion of course

Lenny

Social source share

Now i don't for one second consider myself a DJ...

I would reconsider if i were you Joan :)

Personly i couldn't give a rats arse if some one use's a mike or not, i would rather hear a spot that flows than some one masking a badly put together spot with drabble inbetween records, like i said earlyer, used right i can be a handy tool.

Another pet hate is people anouncing prices over the mike :lol:

Social source share

Shane

Quite agree with you,it's all part of atmosphere building along with, of course QUALITY,ORIGINAL RARE SOUL........can also depend on the venue aswell :lol:
Social source share

Guest Brian J

Ha ha Brian ... never bought the wrong record by mistake then!!

I... unfortunately have.

All i was saying... it helps to know what the record actually looks like... nothing else.... ok?

Whoa......slow down, wasn't having a go.

It made me chuckle that's all....ok?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Totally agree Andy, it seems to me that dj's who don't use the mic are lacking confidence, I keep my chat to a minimum at all times but tell the crowd who it was and what the record is, I think some younger dj's are lacking maturity hence not speaking, just my opinion of course

Lenny

well i don't use the mic at basics lenny , and erm never had a confidence problem .

i use it elsewhere and do a radio show just don't use it at basics cos we don;t want it .

i'd say this goes for a lot of dj's

Social source share

anyone can play records - you can train a monkey to do it, get a computer to do it.

A human being adds sparkle and life to an evening if done correctly

Also a professional show presenter knows how to flow music and how to control an audience - when to play what and more importantly when NOT to play it. when you can get away with new introductions and when you can't - all part of the job and cannot be taught - has to be experience.

Whats the point of playing your biggest floor filler when people are just arriving and warming up? etc - things like that - Oh and also not repeating records - some of the overplayed records are bad enough without hearing them 3 times in one session. if a dj can't be arsed to get at a venue early enough to hear whats been played then it's a poor show if you ask me so no excuses.

being fresh every time, not being able to set you watch by what they are playing - these are all the traits of a DJ and NOT just a walking jukebox

I'm sure this will inflame some and it's just my opinion - from a DJ who talks and has done for 30 years :lol:

Social source share

well i don't use the mic at basics lenny , and erm never had a confidence problem .

i use it elsewhere and do a radio show just don't use it at basics cos we don;t want it .

i'd say this goes for a lot of dj's

Tis True there Davie.

IMO the mike should be used

A) at the begining of your spot to thank the person who's just finished, introduce yourself and tell the poor punters how long they're gonna be stuck with you inflicting your taste in music on them and to announce your first tune.

B )if you're playing a request for someone.

C) if you've had someone come up and ask about the record playing, to also annouce it over the mike for them for good measure.

D) at the end of your spot to thank your appreciative crowd, and to introduce the person about to take over from you.

Short sharp and to the point - no unnessesary clap trap! :lol:

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Brian J

Quite fond of passing opinions on what others do and should do, aren't you. :lol:

Hey Dodger what's that music your cats boppin' to? I hope it's not a boot? :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!