Betty Boo-Spellbound

Patto

Does anyone play out 'Spellbound' from the Grapevine Lp ? Poor mastering/sound quality imo . 'Detroit' Lp cut much better .

It's not that it's poor, it's just that to cram on 10 tracks per side, the sound gets quieter and quieter, so everything on that album is at a low volume.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Gonna resurect this thread due to my love of the track.I have the Grapevine LP with Spellbound on, but agree with Andy that the mastering is poor.Would love to play it out and would like to know if the recent first 45 release is ok to play at an OVO event.Is it legit and acceptable or is it a case of having to spin the first album release.Have any DJs spun the recent 45 and is it good sound quality.

Social source share

The feedback im getting is thatThe original grapevine LP release is the only acceptable way to play it at an OV night.Real shame about the sound quality if i play it you have to mess about with gain and bass programming on mixer to get half descent results.Tragic that a 45 wasnt put out at the time

Social source share

38 minutes ago, chalky said:

What’s wrong with the Soul Junction 45? Whoever is giving the feedback is talking bollox IMO.  You get th3badded bonus of the instrumental too if thet float yer boat. 

Totally agree with you Chalky,there

is absolutely nothing wrong with it,

i play it on the decks at venues as

original vinyl and it goes down a 

treat,the sound quality is excellent.

Hope that answers your question

Patto, it's okay to play it mate,

it is an original 45 release,LP's

are not singles.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Watch out for the soul police . Chin strokers visiting a venue near you. :D 

Steve 

Steve im by no way shape or form a Soul police lover .I do DJ at OVO nights and only knowingly spin Originals.I do care what OVO Djs think and as i dont know everything like most so i welcome opinions..I would love to spin the 45 if it were acceptable

Edited by Patto
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Patto said:

Steve im by no way shape or form a police lover soul or otherwise.I do DJ at OVO nights and only knowingly spin Originals.I do care what OVO Djs think and as i dont know everything like most so i welcome opinions.

I wasn't having a go at you mate. I like yourself DJ, ed at many nighters all over the country   and only ever played out original vinyl because I was fortunate enough to be able to afford them and that's how I was brought up on the nighter scene.  I was just trying to lighten up the thread. I personally don't care at certain soul nights  whatever the format.  Others for example I wouldn't even question the integrity of the promoters or Djs as to the format

Steve 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

I wasn't having a go at you mate. I like yourself DJ, ed at many nighters all over the country   and only ever played out original vinyl because I was fortunate enough to be able to afford them and that's how I was brought up on the nighter scene.  I was just trying to lighten up the thread. I personally don't care at certain soul nights  whatever the format.  Others for example I wouldn't even question the integrity of the promoters or Djs as to the format

Steve 

No problem steve these Tamiflu tablets are making me paranoid.Appologies for the snap :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

So by the same token you can’t play any release on a 45 released 30/40 years after its original recording date?  

It is the original release in a 45, all dues paid.  

Some need to take their heads out of their arses before they disappear up it completely.

they make the rules up as they go along half of em, so long as it suits them  

Thanks for your opinion Chalky.Im not trying to make any rules up just asking for different points of view so i can make up my own mind.I Want to play Bettys record just would like opinions on what is the prefered Format at an OVO night thats all.

Edited by Patto
Social source share

Play it! 100% play it! 

It's an unreleased at the time masterpiece. There's a world of difference in my eyes to 'DJs' playing something like this and trotting out 17 dodgy reissues/bootlegs. 

Some of the Pied Piper stuff from Ady was originally released on CD so when the 45s were done should we not buy 'em and play 'em? Surely that can't be right?

Best,

Dave 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Moore said:

Play it! 100% play it! 

It's an unreleased at the time masterpiece. There's a world of difference in my eyes to 'DJs' playing something like this and trotting out 17 dodgy reissues/bootlegs. 

Some of the Pied Piper stuff from Ady was originally released on CD so when the 45s were done should we not buy 'em and play 'em? Surely that can't be right?

Thanks Dave if the Grapevine LP cut was good quality i would just play it from there as its the first time it appeared on Vinyl. BUT the cut is poor thats why im asking about the recent 45 

Edited by Patto
Social source share

20 minutes ago, chalky said:

any crap just tell em to f*** off :lol::wicked:

Get everyone to sign a disclaimer on the door. 

“By signing this document you hereby accept that Patto will be playing Betty Boo, Spell Bound, from a Soul Junction 45, a legitimate and first release on a 7. Furthermore, the soul police have no juristriction in this matter.”

:wicked:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Get everyone to sign a disclaimer on the door. 

“By signing this document you hereby accept that Patto will be playing Betty Boo, Spell Bound, from a Soul Junction 45, a legitimate and first release on a 7. Furthermore, the soul police have no juristriction in this matter.”

:wicked:

Nice one Peter made me smile mate cheers

Social source share

not directly connected but along the same lines

Melba Moore - Magic Touch

Original release

Which came first, the LP release (May 86) or the anniversary single (Sept 86) release? based on that which is the original release and further more is it legit to play it off Horaces (1987)

Ah a conundrum if ever there was one

Social source share

31 minutes ago, AndyKempster said:

not directly connected but along the same lines

Melba Moore - Magic Touch

Original release

Which came first, the LP release (May 86) or the anniversary single (Sept 86) release? based on that which is the original release and further more is it legit to play it off Horaces (1987)

Ah a conundrum if ever there was one

You can go right back to the 60s though with the original releases with this argument, which is ok the lp or the 45, the local kr the national release, all of course. But some are making these rules up to justify or give themselves some kudos for the huge amounts they spend on 45s. I mean when they spend 100s on a 45 or 45s they don’t want someone spoiling their moment with a £20 Lp. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, chalky said:

You can go right back to the 60s though with the original releases with this argument, which is ok the lp or the 45, the local kr the national release, all of course. But some are making these rules up to justify or give themselves some kudos for the huge amounts they spend on 45s. I mean when they spend 100s on a 45 or 45s they don’t want someone spoiling their moment with a £20 Lp. 

That's pretty much where I was going mate, it's all a bit OVO gone mad:thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!