Betty Boo-Spellbound

Patto

Hope some of you old Wigan Guys can tell me a bit about this one.It has always been one of my all time faves and just exudes Northern Soul.I realise is was unissued but who started spinning it and just how big a spin was it.

My first encounter with it was like many others from playing the Talk Of The Grapevine LP so is this the way most DJs have spun it since.Has it ever been released on a 45

Social source share

Betty boo. Was one of the adorables. Had the pleasure of seeing her live with the band and to sing. Say it isn't so. Simply one of those nights that will live forever.

Steve

Thanks Steve

The link from Discogs below states Betty Winston was one of the Adorables so do you think they are one and same?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/564109-Adorables-The

Cheers

Stu

Social source share

courtesy of pete smiths grapevine feature  No, it’s not the young lady who was ‘Doing The Do’ a while back, but a Detroit teenager who cut demos for Popcorn Wylie in 1966-67. No releases followed, but “Say It Isnt so” turned up on acetate in mid-1977, becoming one of the year’s biggest (and best) sounds. Several other unreleased items surfaced then, including new vocals to popular Northern standards like Tommy Neal’s ‘Goin’ To A Happening” and Stanley Mitchell’s “Get It Baby”, along with recordings from Wylie himself. Boo’s real name was Betty Bryant, a member of the Adorables who cut a super Northern disc for Golden World, “Ooh Boy”, with Pat and Diane Lewis and Betty’s sister Jackie.

kev

Social source share

Andy. Hope your well. Long time. It was at a Northampton weekender if that's any help to you. Can't remember the guy's name that run it but he used to be on here.

Steve

I am a little confused as Kev says not same and Andy advising it is the same person; could it be  Betty Bryant the maiden name, Betty Winston the married name or vice versa and Betty Boo the independent stage name?

Or is the Discogs entry wrong in respect of members of 'The Adorables'.

I wish I had asked Pat Lewis when I saw her perform at Radcliffe civic.

Social source share

I am a little confused as Kev says not same and Andy advising it is the same person; could it be  Betty Bryant the maiden name, Betty Winston the married name or vice versa and Betty Boo the independent stage name?

Don't know mate. The truth is out there.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Big spin at Cleethorpes for Poke, and he was first to play it. Poke was working for John Anderson at the time so got the acetate. I seem to recall it was a 10" acetate (I think)

Whether or not Searling had an acetate at the same time I'm not sure but I suspect so

Edited to say I f**ked up, was thinking of "Say It Isn't So"   :dash2:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Richard unleashed Say It Isn't So, Spaceland, Spellbound and Hank Panky all at the same time.  Spellbound wasn't played much, in fact I was surprised to find it on an acetate (that someone had had custom made) I found in a collection in the late 90's, it was never popular enough.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks for all the info guys.Think i will buy the Grapevine LP again and get a carver done of Spellbound.

Mark Would be nice if you could give it a spin at Briggy Reposessed

Hi Patto,

Agree with you mate, great record and proper northern.

I'll stick it on for you the next time your down at ours.

Have a great Xmas mate

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Cheers Martin will look forward to that mate.If we get Lou Ragland as well it will be a hell of a night

Depends when your coming mate. Rob Wigleys got Lou Ragland if you manage to get down this week.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Kinell forgot all about this, LP/carver routine here we come. I'm with Phil on the Sister Lee thing BTW, identical drums at the start.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Most of Popcorn's records start with that drum roll!

You're right Pete but if you screen out Betty's vocals the baseline is identical too.

Social source share

Eddie posted up the same backing track version above though...Jimmy Soul Clark

That don't sound owt like it to me Pete.

Just thinking of all the other shared backing tracks  :g:

Tony Hestor - Down In The Dumps = Stanley Mitchell - Get It Baby

Tony Hestor - Spaceland = Tommy Neil - Going to a Happening  

Social source share

That don't sound owt like it to me Pete.

Just thinking of all the other shared backing tracks  :g:

Tony Hestor - Down In The Dumps = Stanley Mitchell - Get It Baby

Tony Hestor - Spaceland = Tommy Neil - Going to a Happening  

Starting to think you may be right about Sister Lee actually.

Social source share

If you ever get to hear the backing track to Sister Lee, I swear you will be asleep by the end of it, you'd think it would be amazing but it's so monotonous.  Mr. Rix gave it to me ages ago but of course I lost it.

Pete Sister Lee does nothing for me never liked it.But Betty Boo's Spellbound for me transferes the track to another level

Social source share

Really?  Sister Lee is a monster of a record...Betty Boo I'd never even thought about until this topic came up  :lol:

Yep Really Mate ever since i first heard Spellbound as a nipper on the Talk Of The Grapevine LP thought is was a much better slab of Northern than Sister Lee.Only my opinion of course.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep Really Mate ever since i first heard Spellbound as a nipper on the Talk Of The Grapevine LP thought is was a much better slab of Northern than Sister Lee.Only my opinion of course.

must disagree Patto - Sam Ward another nailed on classic . Wouldn't do for all of to like the same .
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Betty Winston  is Betty Boo ..I will check out with Betty  i will call her later  to see what the Bryant was .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If you ever get to hear the backing track to Sister Lee, I swear you will be asleep by the end of it, you'd think it would be amazing but it's so monotonous.  Mr. Rix gave it to me ages ago but of course I lost it.

Yes, that's very true of a lot of backing tracks because that's what they are, backing tracks. I couldn't wait to hear the Peanut Duck dance track without the vocal, bloody boring as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!