Radio 2 - Soul Cities With Tony Blackburn, 22Nd December

Rick Cooper

Guest kev such

I didnt want it to end. Was dancing around an empty bungalow, marvelous. Great to hear Secret Love on conmmercial radio. Wonder what'll be on the playlist for tomorrow.

Social source share

For prime time, national radio it was excellent. Major Lance, Billy Stewart, Dee Clark, Maurice and Mac and loads of others on radio, what's not to like?

A bit of a grumble when he played R Kelly- If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time, but then all forgiven when he followed this with Tyrone Davis-Turn Back the Hands of Time.

Tony got across his love for the music and put a few facts in, OK no mention of song writers, producers and musicians but the lunch time audience wouldn't have been interested .

Just hope Philly isn't all Gamble/Huff and Detroit not just Motown.

Tony said he was sorry not to be able to play Lenny Gamble but Lenny was not a native of Chicago.

Rick

Social source share

For prime time, national radio it was excellent. Major Lance, Billy Stewart, Dee Clark, Maurice and Mac and loads of others on radio, what's not to like?

A bit of a grumble when he played R Kelly- If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time, but then all forgiven when he followed this with Tyrone Davis-Turn Back the Hands of Time.

Tony got across his love for the music and put a few facts in, OK no mention of song writers, producers and musicians but the lunch time audience wouldn't have been interested .

Tony said he was sorry not to be able to play Lenny Gamble but Lenny was not a native of Chicago.

Rick

Though he can't resist the accent. :wicked:

Social source share

Rick

Grumble?

Thought it was inspired to follow R Kelly with Tyrone Davis. Was also pleasantly surprised to hear him mention Happy People by R Kelly.

A great show from start to finish with no grumbles whatsoever IMO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Still much better than the usual programs though.  :thumbup:

Agreed.  Anything's better than the dreaded Jeremy Vine show which usually occupies the same slot.  Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 Music are a reasonable alternative to that and Stuart sometimes manages to play a Northern track or two.

used to enjoy maconies northern show on radio 2 must dig the tapes out and play them through again

kev

Social source share

Grumble?

Thought it was inspired to follow R Kelly with Tyrone Davis. Was also pleasantly surprised to hear him mention Happy People by R Kelly.

I really liked the R Kelly track but would have been gutted not to have any Tyrone Davis on a Chicago soul show.

Rick

Social source share

Grumble?

You beat me too it mate.........of course there's been no soul out of Chicago since the 70's/80's!! :-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Another brilliant two hours, and as I said on Facebook, what and inspired piece of DJ'ing squeezing some Jill Scott into a prime time R2 spot by playing her cover of Bill Withers.

Superb show.....

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I will never call Tony Blackburn again. Really enjoyed what I've heard of both days' broadcasts.

Tony Blackburn played Sandi Sheldon. On radio 1 way back in 1974. I was off school with glandular fever and once I was released from hospital was told to get as much fresh air as possible so spent the next three months fishing and listening to the radio.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!