Radio 2 - Soul Cities With Tony Blackburn, 22Nd December

Rick Cooper

just listened to the "detroit" show on the tv and it has on the screen philadelphia home of the famous motown sound WTF,the shows been crap ,wilson pickett ,al green nothing to do with the motown sound rant over  :g:

He did say that everything would have a Detroit connection, ie born there, recorded there etc. He didn't say it would be a 'Motown sound' show.

Given that he was playing to a mainstream audience I think they have all been ok - though I am only 24 minutes into the Detroit show.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

just listened to the "detroit" show on the tv and it has on the screen philadelphia home of the famous motown sound WTF,the shows been crap ,wilson pickett ,al green nothing to do with the motown sound rant over  :g:

Was it implied that AG had a part in the Motown sound?  He was based in Grand Rapids/Detroit Michigan in the mid 60s. Al Greene & The Soul Mates Back Up Train/Don't Leave Me on Hotline released in 1967 has Motown written all over it. What a record that is too. Yet another one looked down on for only costing a fiver. 

Social source share

Was it implied that AG had a part in the Motown sound?  He was based in Grand Rapids/Detroit Michigan in the mid 60s. Al Greene & The Soul Mates Back Up Train/Don't Leave Me on Hotline released in 1967 has Motown written all over it. What a record that is too. Yet another one looked down on for only costing a fiver. 

There was no implication that either were part of the Motown Sound but qualified (just ) for the show because of where they lived earlier in their lives.  TB did explain.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!