Radio 2 - Out On The Floor - 1/1/15

Amy Winehouse, Edwyn Collins, Plan B etc.

Good to see some new Northern alongside the same old classics.

Off to listen to some of that strange fangled Modern stuff.

Enjoy Northern monkeys LOL.

Not sure if this is sarcastic. I play Modern Soul more than Northern these days at home. It's not the concept that annoys here, it is the selections. But as said earlier, it is a pop show really. Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

Not sure if this is sarcastic. I play Modern Soul more than Northern these days at home. It's not the concept that annoys here, it is the selections. But as said earlier, it is a pop show really.

There was just a hint of sarcasm.

Elton John mentioned now!

Keep The Faith you Crocodile Rockers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sweet Things!  Fantastic!

Ginger Taylor told me this was too fast to get played these days.

Ginger isn't really known for any kind of sudden violent movements, but if you need the phone number of a curry house anywhere in the length and breath of Britain at 4am in the morning , he's your man ! :lol:

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Maybe we need a new thread about what's thought to be too fast to get played these days?

I brought this up recently after Mr creator cleared the floor when i played it, was later told that it is now too fast to dance to.

Social source share

Guest LeedsPal

Ian Levine remake of The Right Track.

Makes a change I guess.

Something tells me she didn't go down to the BBC vault to collect the correct version 

Social source share

You are right Jona, whats the point in complaining about it, people would moan if there was none on, people will moan if there's too much on. Just let her get on with it and try and enjoy some of the music, it's not exactly a life or death scenario, it's just some lady playing some Northern tracks.

But this is the area of interest for the forum. It's kind of what it is for...I'm sure she and Radio 2 won't be worrying about some view here. The only complaint I have is playing the Levine versions. Happy otherwise and it is welcome.

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You are right Jona, whats the point in complaining about it, people would moan if there was none on, people will moan if there's too much on.  Just let her get on with it and try and enjoy some of the music, it's not exactly a life or death scenario, it's just some lady playing some Northern tracks.

too right Pete, getting sick of the negativity, shouldn't we embrace these times, instead of knocking it all the time, she is trying her best at least

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There was just a hint of sarcasm.

Elton John mentioned now!

Keep The Faith you Crocodile Rockers.

As she alluded to Elton John is a massive soul fan, and by all accounts used to visit The Wheel in the late 60s before he made it big whenever he was gigging in the North West!

Social source share

Guest LeedsPal

Self promotion time. Texas 'Black Eyed Boy'. Oh well.

Twenty Years time could easily be a popular Northern track most of us will be gone or in our mid 70s so will have no influence many tracks on the scene now never classed as Northern in late 70s you never know

Social source share

But this is the area of interest for the forum. It's kind of what it is for...I'm sure she and Radio 2 won't be worrying about some view here. The only complaint I have is playing the Levine versions. Happy otherwise and it is welcome.

Well normally at this time of day I'd be listening to Jeremy Vine so this is a nice change for me...I'm sure we could have all predicted some of the track listing...not Private Number though

Social source share

Private Number on now. Not sure why but a nice track. Enders next surely.

Show seems to be more about Texas in last quarter hour.

So a welcome show, glad it was done. Fun to comment on. A bit more care needed on ensuring right versions. Hopefully it will inspire more.

Actually that's it... No enders.

Happy new year everyone.

Social source share

Private Number on now. Not sure why but a nice track. Enders next surely.

Show seems to be more about Texas in last quarter hour.

So a welcome show, glad it was done. Fun to comment on. A bit more care needed on ensuring right versions. Hopefully it will inspire more.

Actually that's it... No enders.

Happy new year everyone.

Stay tuned, this Tony Blackburn show should be great, all old records which never made the top 40...Lovin Spoonful Do You Believe In Magic...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wot & miss Mary poppins !!

Me and Grace watched Mary Poppins a couple of weeks ago when she was poorly.  How bad is Dick Van Dyke, I know it's a long running joke but someone should have dubbed his voice.  Also it seems about 30 minutes too long.  This was the first film I ever saw at the pictures, 1964, Weston Super Mare.

Social source share

Me and Grace watched Mary Poppins a couple of weeks ago when she was poorly.  How bad is Dick Van Dyke, I know it's a long running joke but someone should have dubbed his voice.  Also it seems about 30 minutes too long.  This was the first film I ever saw at the pictures, 1964, Weston Super Mare.

Allways makes me laugh ! I was only 4 then ! Carnt remember wot I watched last week !

Social source share

This Tony Blackburn show is good, being done live it seems. Songs that were popular but outside UK charts. Some I know, some I don't. Good sound on it. Love TB acknowledging he has made a living being annoying. Dion and The Fortunes sounded good. Love are on now.

Such a brilliant record that Alone Again Or.  I have tried so many times to listen to Forever Changes but I still can't get it into it.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The show had it's up's and downs.

I really liked hearing classics like Epitome Of Sound, Yvonne Baker, Lee David and Cavaliers.

Did not like the recuts/disco type versions of classic records such as Billy Butler or Frank Wilson.

The Lorraine Chandler sounded like a studio alternate version from the released record. Must be from some CD or other!

Would have liked some old classics like Poets, Fascinations, Sapphires, O'Jays etc.

Also few sounds from late Wigan/Stafford like The Ascots, Ty Karim, Hytones, Chandlers etc, would have made a nice balance.

All said and done it was OK and better than normal radio shows. Hope Joe Public liked it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

thanks pete one of those things you hear and that post sort of clicked it back to the fore

kev

If you think about it though, the Torch lp was 72/73 and Elton was 'famous' from 1970 onwards so there's no way he'd have been playing at the Torch in 73.  I bet he did in the mid 60's though, his band backed loads of blues and soul artists when they came over.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest GeoffB

Shaking it up a bit with some "modern" northern soul. Treading on thin ice there.  :g:

And that version of the right track was awfull.

Still, some great tracks and her enthusiasm shined through (even if her voice was a bit monotone).

Nice to hear some northern on prime time radio 2!  :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Lovin Spoonful Do You Believe In Magic...

Excellent taste Pete.

I've said on here before that I grew up in Clacton so we had pretty much all the pirate radio ships just off our coast. (until Radio Caroline North opened up.)

Radio London (Big L) used to have all sorts of records in their charts based on popularity rather than sales.

I remember DYBIM being played and yes it was in the Big L chart in Autumn 1965 https://www.radiolondon.co.uk/rl/scrap60/fabforty/65fabs/oct65/fab031065/fab031065.html

I know you are interested in a lot of 1960s music. You can browse a load of the old Radio London charts here: https://www.radiolondon.co.uk/rl/scrap60/fabforty/index.html

Here goes I can't resist it:

Social source share

Twenty Years time could easily be a popular Northern track most of us will be gone or in our mid 70s so will have no influence many tracks on the scene now never classed as Northern in late 70s you never know

I have wondered this myself.  I listen to a lot of NS influenced Modern Soul now and wonder how it will all compress into one scene and mutate onwards.     The sound of 50s R&B is so different to later soul that I'm not sure that span will ever reconcile into one dancefloor.  But it won't be our ears at the events and forming the playlists.   Although I appreciate that many like the purity of 1960s based NS events, I'm personally a fan of fully across the board playlists which spread the overplayed classics out amongst music old and new to me from across the eras.  Doesn't always work but enjoyable to hear when done right.  A major worry outside the control of the scene that I foresee is the removal of sprung wooden dancefloors over the decades.

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!