Radio 2 - Out On The Floor - 1/1/15

She's warbling on about there not being many female singers in Northern Soul. Clearly nonsense. Playing Rose Batiste 'Hit and Run' which is a welcome inclusion probably not known by casual listeners.

Was waiting 4 someone hit on this !!

Social source share

Williams and Watson 'Too Late' always class. There could be a wonderful radio show just with Okeh label tracks. Interesting bit on recording techniques at Motown.

Edwin Collins on now as an NS inspired track. For a R2 audience it may be useful to show the link. Its at least preferable to playing Wayne Gibson.

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

Guest GeoffB

Yep, it was going so well untill Edwin Collins came on. Influences? B*llocks!

Appart from that it's pretty good and you can really hear her passion for the music! It's really refreshing.  :)

Edited by GeoffB
swearing - work filters
Social source share

Dear God - just switched on and heard  her try to contextualise Major Lance Investigate without appreciating it's place in the grand scheme of things, and then play Amy Shitehouse - FFS -  back to War & Peace on Radio 4

Edited by GrayM
Social source share

I think Sharleen is alternatively speaking from notes and off the cuff. It needed a producer and a run through to polish it. But she is undoubtedly keen.

To me a DJ or even presenter should have a flexible range of tones/voices and use them to attract the listening ear and make them take notice, to me she just sounds flat and uninteresting.     :(

Social source share

Thinking the same too, until Epitome of Sound followed it!

I was painful trying to listen to her explain things behind EOS and other records like it.  I didn't expect much but I expected a better researched show and do we really need Edwin Collins and Amy Whingehouse when doing a show about Northern Soul?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Little Richard. Three off one Okeh CD now...It's Okeh Up North I think.

If he hadn't felt bad before he joined Okeh he would have after her intro 'career in a downward spiral'.

I'm still surprised a record paid in 2013 for Texas to record a video in Detroit as she said earlier.

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

I've not listened to the show, but I guess if you have an audience of people raised on "pop" music trying to draw comparisons with Amy Whitehouse and Edwin Collins will probably show the uneducated that Northern Soul might have somehow influenced people that they've actually heard of and like, so it's akin to drawing them into a world that they don't understand by offering them a small foothold.  Obviously the show hasn't been meant for the elite, it's just a "celebrity" trying to show that there's music out there that isn't "pop" but is still great.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

John Newman. WTF! To show continuing influence play something like The Revelations version of'Why When The Love Is Gone' or Jo Stance 'Hey Girl'. I don't really hear it here.

Plan B, oh f-ck off.

How long before Duffy?

What is she on about with this foot slipping thing. A foot movement does not genre alignment make!

Edited by ThinkSmart
Social source share

Going back to Sweet Things, it is incredible that stomper s are too fast to play now. In fact they may clear some floors. That's what I went out to hear, faster the better when I was a youth. Get on some Dean Parrish or Bobby Paris and get yourself running to the floor.

Maybe we need a new thread about what's thought to be too fast to get played these days?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!