Sy Hightower Boot ?

Tlscapital

Is this a boot ? Everything is wrong and smells like it is but I just didn't know it existed. Never looked close enough on CF or PS @ Evil Bay results and one sold for $500 in dec. '09 !? Now one on auction on the Evil Bay from a well known USA dealer but he just don't give leads about the dodgy being not a "first release"...

post-19710-0-71853300-1419280372_thumb.p

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Ivor Jones

Pretty sure these are pucka originals,not represses……..I think it was just pressed again without all the Silver stuff all over the label.Or maybe the same pressing just using labels already printed just without the Silver ? Come to think of it,it could actually be the first pressing? You don't seem to see as many of this version….

Anyone confirm ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Pretty sure these are pucka originals,not represses……..I think it was just pressed again without all the Silver stuff all over the label.Or maybe the same pressing just using labels already printed just without the Silver ? Come to think of it,it could actually be the first pressing? You don't seem to see as many of this version….

Anyone confirm ?

Having just looked at these differences again I always thought it was just minus the Silver detailing on the label but the black text is different too. So i now think they are just two different presses. I think they are both original though, not recent pressings.

Social source share

Ivor , Christmas greetings

It is not just the black text but the credits differ as well, so despite the lack of silver, the credit difference would personally make me wonder, as all the signs would sway me that way as other represses tend to have the small differences?

Having said that, it is possible it's not a recent repress? Time or further knowledge will tell?

Dave H.

Social source share

Ivor , Christmas greetings

It is not just the black text but the credits differ as well, so despite the lack of silver, the credit difference would personally make me wonder, as all the signs would sway me that way as other represses tend to have the small differences?

Having said that, it is possible it's not a recent repress? Time or further knowledge will tell?

Dave H.

The plain pink has been around as long as the silver writing copy and to my knowledge has always been rarer.

The man to ask,who will have the best answer, will be Mike Vague, he had most of the stock back in the day.

Social source share

The plain pink has been around as long as the silver writing copy and to my knowledge has always been rarer.

The man to ask,who will have the best answer, will be Mike Vague, he had most of the stock back in the day.

Nev

I must admit I had never seen the plain one, the silver one on many occasions, must have had a sheltered life!

Social source share

Having just looked at these differences again I always thought it was just minus the Silver detailing on the label but the black text is different too. So i now think they are just two different presses. I think they are both original though, not recent pressings.

OK, that can be. So it's not a bootleg. That overall look of it fooled me and kind of reminded me of the Soul Fox bootlegs of the Mirettes, Jackie Lee...  :lol: Now, these small labels/runs are tricky to work out without "insiders" as they were short lived and involved few people who could just have done that and this.

Now by reading the labels closely, it could make sense one way (or another); the Carmelita on yellow would be first, then Sy Hightower on the plum label. I'd say that since the pink SH with gold/silver label has an extra license credit; the PENCO one. This is Dennis PENA Co. who would have come in with his money to kick-off the SH Carmen record. This PENCO 45 by SH had a promo release (for air-play) and an album project in the can that never past the acetate stage (one side of it did at least). So the project could have gone for bigger thing before it went... to the ground. Or is it the other way around; Dennis PENA backed off and Carmelita's Art Invasion Co. then re-released it on the Plum label.

post-19710-0-60945200-1419319848_thumb.p

post-19710-0-67789300-1419319889_thumb.p

Social source share

OK, that can be. So it's not a bootleg. That overall look of it fooled me and kind of reminded me of the Soul Fox bootlegs of the Mirettes, Jackie Lee...  :lol: Now, these small labels/runs are tricky to work out without "insiders" as they were short lived and involved few people who could just have done that and this.

Now by reading the labels closely, it could make sense one way (or another); the Carmelita on yellow would be first, then Sy Hightower on the plum label. I'd say that since the pink SH with gold/silver label has an extra license credit; the PENCO one. This is Dennis PENA Co. who would have come in with his money to kick-off the SH Carmen record. This PENCO 45 by SH had a promo release (for air-play) and an album project in the can that never past the acetate stage (one side of it did at least). So the project could have gone for bigger thing before it went... to the ground. Or is it the other way around; Dennis PENA backed off and Carmelita's Art Invasion Co. then re-released it on the Plum label.

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-12-23 à 08.15.43.png

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2014-12-23 à 08.08.16.png

Just done some back tracking through the archives and info from previous research suggest...pink is first issue with only 200 pressed and the silver logo copies 2nd with 500 pressed up.

Again ,Mike holds the key because he bought the stock and if I remember ,there's a really nice story attached to the purchase / sale ...Carmelita sold the stock and used the funds to donate to building a school ,or something along those lines ?

Social source share

Just done some back tracking through the archives and info from previous research suggest...pink is first issue with only 200 pressed and the silver logo copies 2nd with 500 pressed up.

Again ,Mike holds the key because he bought the stock and if I remember ,there's a really nice story attached to the purchase / sale ...Carmelita sold the stock and used the funds to donate to building a school ,or something along those lines ?

Read that also but was with caution as it was not a verified info. Mike would be indeed a good source for those infos... 

Social source share

Bought mine years ago off Mike Vague with silver label and pretty sure he mentioned the plain was legit. Think Steve Plumb had the black writing one at some time.

Alan

Hi Alan

You are right, mine is on the plain pink label, still got it and was bought by me in the US in the early 90's, so pretty sure it's an original

Certainly not one of those reissues with all that silver stuff on it LOL :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!