Hawaii Five O

Zoomsoulblue

remember playing that Sammy Davis at a scooter and skin head do in the 80's and almost every one was sitting down on the dance floor pretending they were in a canoe   :lol:

Book him Teddo, either you interupted their yoga class or they were staging a protest because you didn't play the jam ! :lol:

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Lol I borrowed it of Mick Smith it was at Brierley Hill town hall

Brierley Hill, you were lucky to get out alive they still practice cannibalism down there, and are quite partial to a slice of brummie with a splash of brown source. :wicked: Mind you I bet it worked well with your Hwaiian shirt ! :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just watching Hawaii five O - didn't realise how fast the theme tune was / instrumental

Was the vocal you can count on me at the same speed / vocal over the instrumental - could we really dance that fast or was it the speed telling us - happy xmas

Remember a version by chaquito that was popular at Wigan.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A couple of years ago Sammy Davis track was played at Sidac (St Helens soul club) and about four people danced to it including myself. Bloody hell its fast, stayed with the beat but by the end of the tune I was out of breath and in needed an oxygen tent. 

I should remember that I'm not 18 any more, and 'Sammy Davis- you can count on me' is a cardiac hosptal tune and needs to carry a health warning. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The version on the tv show is by Mort Stevens, or the lp described as the 'original tv soundtrack' is. Got some nice tracks on it too.

Mort was sammy D's arranger and band leader, which is probably how he came to do a version of it.

i love it, proper guilty pleasure!

No guilt for me. It's frequently cited by embarrassed Northern Soul fans as shite piece of music, when clearly it's a brilliant theme tune, albeit not remotely related to soul music.

Mort Stevens also did the Police Woman theme. Another bit of required watching in our home in the mid 70s :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Viva Sammy Davis! Great Tune.Lest we Forget;in the early 60s,when playing the Sands in Vegas,although a member of the esteemed  "Rat Pack"[sinatra ,Martin etc] Sammy was only allowed entrance via the kitchen,a fate suffered by early Motown Reviews . Feliz Navid!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!