Pointer Sisters 'send Him Back' O. G. Stocker ?

Tlscapital
Go to solution Solved by Kjw,

Is there no original stock issues of 'send him back' found anywhere ? Some of those major label's 45 who sold poorly are found from time to time as NOS in boxes while they were thought not to exist as such before. Now, there's 3 variations for the promos from different pressing plants and yet I've never seen or heard of any stockers at all ?

That should be rather exceptional for such a label as Atlantic. Maybe before their move to Blue Thumb there could have been an issue between Atlantic records and the Pointer Sisters and so the 45 marketing retail stage was simply not continued after the deal/contract was somehow "breached".

Social source share

There's lots of issue copies around - easiest way to tell the original is the stamp in the run out

Capital inverted S with small c & r in the curves

Ah, OK, good  to know they are out there. And they are from the same pressing plant as those vinyl demo's using the same font as the black & red bootleg. Is there a styrene stock issue copy as the MONO promo ?

Social source share

Here's a picture of a yellow vinyl copy (sorry about the quality). This one was not mine as my copy now resides in a collection in London.
They came out of the same box as the yellow vinyl copy's of the Professionals & also a yellow vinyl copy of Dutch Robinson.

post-3218-0-74608400-1419693647_thumb.jp

Edited by Cunnie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah, OK, good  to know they are out there. And they are from the same pressing plant as those vinyl demo's using the same font as the black & red bootleg. Is there a styrene stock issue copy as the MONO promo ?

Don't know about the pressing plant but I've had a few issue copies over the years and from memory they were styrene

Social source share

Really!!

All the issues on all 4 pages??

(never had the record myself or had any desire to buy it - when I started in 1976/77 it was considered a bit of a girly dancer even then :D )

No actually, you're right. After having the confirmation that original stockers do exist and you can tell them apart I checked again. And indeed there are few real ones after closer inspection and reading on Popsike (less on Collectorsfrenzy). The first time I did browse through CF & PS I looked at it too quickly. Some are the boot and proposed as. Few are real ones and some are hard to tell apart without a better description. BTW I always loved the girly dancers amongst other things  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No actually, you're right. After having the confirmation that original stockers do exist and you can tell them apart I checked again. And indeed there are few real ones after closer inspection and reading on Popsike (less on Collectorsfrenzy). The first time I did browse through CF & PS I looked at it too quickly. Some are the boot and proposed as. Few are real ones and some are hard to tell apart without a better description. BTW I always loved the girly dancers amongst other things  :yes:

That could be a whole new thread....Girly Dancers. However, may get a bit smutty!!

(Not sure if "Girly Dancer" is an official sub-section. There are so many - I received a record bought on eBay with "Roller Disco Boogie" written on the sleeve as a description)

Social source share

Don't know about the pressing plant but I've had a few issue copies over the years and from memory they were styrene

OK, I believe you, but I've only seen the vinyl issue to this day. Even Popsike and Google show no trace of such a pressing. That of course doesn't mean it does not exist. The only styrene copies I've seen are the promo ones. 

Social source share

Here's a picture of a yellow vinyl copy (sorry about the quality). This one was not mine as my copy now resides in a collection in London.

They came out of the same box as the yellow vinyl copy's of the Professionals & also a yellow vinyl copy of Dutch Robinson.

So, is the yellow vinyl version an original, second issue or some special product done as part of a package? I thought  both my Pointer Sisters issues were boots, one of which was yellow vinyl: one has been replaced by a demo, not sure if it was the regular or yellow version though so will check in the weeks ahead. Still need an original stock copy but proving difficult to locate on eBay. Is the yellow vinyl version worth keeping (that's if I've actually still got it)?

Social source share

Really!!

All the issues on all 4 pages??

(never had the record myself or had any desire to buy it - when I started in 1976/77 it was considered a bit of a girly dancer even then :D )

Was a top tune at the Mecca and Wigan. Copies were not really available at the time. Oddly enough, not released on English Atlantic even though demand was there. Never come across this in the USA in over 50 trips. Still rates as one of the very best tracks on the label and one that sounds better and better as the years slip by. Never considered it a Girl Group sound, just pure Northern all the way.

Social source share

So, is the yellow vinyl version an original, second issue or some special product done as part of a package? I thought  both my Pointer Sisters issues were boots, one of which was yellow vinyl: one has been replaced by a demo, not sure if it was the regular or yellow version though so will check in the weeks ahead. Still need an original stock copy but proving difficult to locate on eBay. Is the yellow vinyl version worth keeping (that's if I've actually still got it)?

I doubt it's real just reading this; came out of the same box as the yellow vinyl copy's of the Professionals & also a yellow vinyl copy of Dutch Robinson. Then the scan/photo quality is not good enough to judge, the real ones have proper black print on the red label paper: post-19710-0-37934000-1419765633_thumb.p

Unlike this one here where the black print is not deep as it should be; post-19710-0-70577700-1419765938_thumb.p

But you can also check the matrix if you got it. Should read Capital inverted S with small c & r in the curves

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK, I believe you, but I've only seen the vinyl issue to this day. Even Popsike and Google show no trace of such a pressing. That of course doesn't mean it does not exist. The only styrene copies I've seen are the promo ones. 

That's how I always tell them - the black at the top is deep, not browny tinted like on the reissue.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest ephraim

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I've been trying to answer this question about the yellow vinyl. There's now a Discogs entry, and the matrix runout on the yellow copy is: (A Side): A-23116 SPB, (B Side): A-23116 SP. No mention of the S. From the photos, the black doesn't look very deep on the labels. Anyone have new thoughts on this? Are the yellow copies boots?

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/219643046

Social source share

Glad to hear this was a bootleg! Atlantic was never big on releasing colored vinyl 45's. Even in the 50's 

when lots of R & B  companies put some of their releases on colored vinyl, Atlantic stuck to black vinyl or 

styrene. In the 60's someone at a pressing plant  made a few colored vinyl copies of Atlantic releases  for themselves. 

So why would Atlantic press up yellow vinyl copies of a record( that didn't look like it was going to be a hit ) when 

they always stuck to black vinyl or styrene?

There are a few Atlantic releases on colored vinyl towards the end of the 70's but not before then.

If I'm wrong- please feel free to correct me.

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The yellow one in the picture above is mine I have shown it to JM who confirmed it is a bootleg. He has taken photo and details so I presume at some point it will be added in to his bootleg guide.

Alan

Wonder if he is going to confirm that the yellow vinyl Professionals is a bootleg then as it was in the same batch :yes:

Social source share

Guest ephraim

The yellow one in the picture above is mine I have shown it to JM who confirmed it is a bootleg. He has taken photo and details so I presume at some point it will be added in to his bootleg guide.

Alan

Thanks, Alan --- finally solved this mystery! Guess I won't bid on that eBay copy...

Social source share

Alan

JM is usually right and he probably is about this matter. Playing devils advocate it dawned on me JM is unlikely to see the original paperwork from the publisher in respect of the release; if there was a pre release issue agreement created for  the artists friends and family (similar to acetates in the 60's) of the artists work then he may not have that information.

Consequently we could refer to legitimate issues as bootlegs out of ignorance.

Perhaps asking the artists is the only way to be 100% certain before we condemn records as bootlegs. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Does anyone actually have the black and red as an original with the inverted S with c r in the curves, if so can they post a pic, i say this because if i had one and was selling it, i would be shouting and screaming the fact, but i cant find a single one that has sold that states the S c t thing, the wishy washy colour could be down to a plant printing/ ink problem. Or am i wrong !!!! (probably) prove me wrong.

Social source share

10 hours ago, heartandsoulktf said:

Does anyone actually have the black and red as an original with the inverted S with c r in the curves, if so can they post a pic, i say this because if i had one and was selling it, i would be shouting and screaming the fact, but i cant find a single one that has sold that states the S c t thing, the wishy washy colour could be down to a plant printing/ ink problem. Or am i wrong !!!! (probably) prove me wrong.

Someone must have. John Manship auctioned one a month or two ago and it fetched £300 plus. Tim Brown had one at set sale a fortnight ago which presumably sold at £250. Both were original issues. Demos keep popping up for sale all over the place so surely outnumber issues. Most 'issues' up for sale are actually boots so caution is advised, buy from a dealer really in the know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!