Record Started Jumping

Paddy Ferry

Guest johnny hart

Hi paddy wack, don,t Know the answer to the sudden jump, my solution is ; a firm clean of area{alcohol based fluid} then increase stylus down ward weight and plough anew groove till it dissapears! no gaurantees !

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I've just played another one and that jumps too, on this one though I can see a scratch that's appeared, all I can put it down too is I played at a club where the stage had uneven floor boards and if anyone walked in a certain place it lifted causing the record to jump, I'm gutted about this one it's the Dells , Your Song 12" I've just bought a 7" so I thought I'd give it a play before trying to sell it.

Social source share

It controls the lateral force on the stylus, therefore controls its desire to traverse towards or away from the centre of the record. Ordinarily on the dial this is set to the same value as the tracking force.  For mixing/scratching the anti-skate value is set to less than the tracking force as scratching/mixing isn't "normal play" and with the standard settings the stylus will tend to want to jump out of the groove.  Backing it off prevents this. To be honest, and without starting WWIII, it amazes me that the rare record brigade who pay big money for vinyl know so little about these things.  It's very important for the care of your records and indeed reproduction.  It's not just about stylus/age/quality. I did a gig last year where the decks were almost inoperable.  Within two minutes of me setting all this up they were playing fine, both from a sound quality perspective and a "skipping" perspective.  I didn't know the tracking force value for the stylus and made an educated guess which obviously did the trick.  It's often the case that if it ain't your deck then you don't know what the correct settings are. My Dual turntable is 1.25g tracking force and I set the skate to the same value.  I tend to use this for playing my 7's. My Technics decks are more for DJ'ing and therefore have stylii with greater tracking force (3g).  On these I set the skate to a value of 2, not 3, so that I can back cue/mix without the stylus jumping out of the groove.  Hope that helps.   Cheers, Mark R

Thanks Mark (I think :D ) just checked, I used a Stanton DJ Pro 500AL, the booklet says the tracking force is 2 to 5 grams. I guess I'd better go and learn up on what that all means and how I should set my decks up proper like. Right, be back in about 2 years then !! :thumbsup:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This instructional video is pretty neat. 

I never thought to look for a tutorial, so nice one!!  It really is easy........but you need the tracking force info for the stylus.

- Set to zero (turn front ring only)

- balance arm horizontally (careful not to stuff stylus into deck when doing so!)

- set correct force by turning the whole mass to the right value, and not just the front ring)

- set anti-skate to the same value

QED!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Clean your records with a carbon fiber brush before each play too...........dust and grit is probably worse for your stylus (and record) than the odd scratch/click is.

Imagine that groove laid out straight.......and the imagine the sandpaper effect between stylus and vinyl over that length!!

Obviously for DJ's it's not  feasible to take such precautions..........which is ironic so don't mention talc to me..........a pet hate!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Clean your records with a carbon fiber brush before each play too...........dust and grit is probably worse for your stylus (and record) than the odd scratch/click is. Imagine that groove laid out straight.......and the imagine the sandpaper effect between stylus and vinyl over that length!! Obviously for DJ's it's not  feasible to take such precautions..........which is ironic so don't mention talc to me..........a pet hate!! Cheers, Mark R

This is neat :

https://www.vinylrecordfair.com/clean-vinyl-records/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It controls the lateral force on the stylus, therefore controls its desire to traverse towards or away from the centre of the record.

Ordinarily on the dial this is set to the same value as the tracking force.  For mixing/scratching the anti-skate value is set to less than the tracking force as scratching/mixing isn't "normal play" and with the standard settings the stylus will tend to want to jump out of the groove.  Backing it off prevents this.

To be honest, and without starting WWIII, it amazes me that the rare record brigade who pay big money for vinyl know so little about these things.  It's very important for the care of your records and indeed reproduction.  It's not just about stylus/age/quality.

I did a gig last year where the decks were almost inoperable.  Within two minutes of me setting all this up they were playing fine, both from a sound quality perspective and a "skipping" perspective.  I didn't know the tracking force value for the stylus and made an educated guess which obviously did the trick.  It's often the case that if it ain't your deck then you don't know what the correct settings are.

My Dual turntable is 1.25g tracking force and I set the skate to the same value.  I tend to use this for playing my 7's.

My Technics decks are more for DJ'ing and therefore have stylii with greater tracking force (3g).  On these I set the skate to a value of 2, not 3, so that I can back cue/mix without the stylus jumping out of the groove.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mark R

My goodness.......spray me with your nerd-musk pleeeeese!!!

:sweatingbullets:                      :lol:

Social source share

I wasn't aware of that, I bought about 7 or 8 of them in the US and Italy. Down to my last one, any suggestions for a replacement ?

Stanton stopped making cartridges, don't know if the brand has been brought back as I have seen a few for sale lately   :g:

someone may know.

Anyway if you just want to replace the styli and stick with your original cartridge I found a few ways to do this, you could risk one of the copies off the internet lots of cheap lookalikes   :(  or a Japanese company called Jico made replacements for all the popular Stanton range   :)   The option I went for was a Pickering stylus  :yes:  Stanton & Pickering were sister companies and pickering are still going, lots of cartridges from the companies had the same bodies & workings as each other (to save money)  :D and the only difference was the label stuck on the product. :thumbsup:

So lots of styli were interchangeable.

Stanton 500AL = Pickering D1507DJ  the two styli don't look alike but trust me they fit & work.

Will post you a pic of them tomorrow Chris. 

Social source share

Stanton stopped making cartridges, don't know if the brand has been brought back as I have seen a few for sale lately   :g:

someone may know.

Anyway if you just want to replace the styli and stick with your original cartridge I found a few ways to do this, you could risk one of the copies off the internet lots of cheap lookalikes   :(  or a Japanese company called Jico made replacements for all the popular Stanton range   :)   The option I went for was a Pickering stylus  :yes:  Stanton & Pickering were sister companies and pickering are still going, lots of cartridges from the companies had the same bodies & workings as each other (to save money)  :D and the only difference was the label stuck on the product. :thumbsup:

So lots of styli were interchangeable.

Stanton 500AL = Pickering D1507DJ  the two styli don't look alike but trust me they fit & work.

Will post you a pic of them tomorrow Chris. 

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!