"a Change Is Gonna Come"

Mal C

Another of my random posts, I know... but not without reason, lots of arguing the toss about rubbish on this site IMO, not enough about the sheer beauty of the music... let me rephrase that, there is lots of great stuff on the music, but we could loose all the rubbish about Dj's and the Northern soul top 500... and what venue allows talc... utter rubbish..

so with this in mind, I'll leave you with this for the Festive Season, listen and feel the glow inside... :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs

Mal.C

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Another of my random posts, I know... but not without reason, lots of arguing the toss about rubbish on this site IMO, not enough about the sheer beauty of the music... let me rephrase that, there is lots of great stuff on the music, but we could loose all the rubbish about Dj's and the Northern soul top 500... and what venue allows talc... utter rubbish..

so with this in mind, I'll leave you with this for the Festive Season, listen and feel the glow inside... :-))

Mal.C

Simply stunning classic. Records like this is are what makes us love this diverse/obscure

music that's called soul and defines our way of life in a way normal people just don't get

Thanks for posting Mal

Steve

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Mal C,  True words of wisdom,endless posts of gibberish.Sublime music by Sam Cooke;who inspired Marvin to add an "E",who played it 1st? and where?.Sorry its an incurable illness The S.W.O.N..

Social source share

Just listening to the, recently purchased, 'Complete Specialty Recordings' with the Soul Stirrers. As good as it gets in my humble one. 'Last Mile of the Way' been a favourite of mine for many a year (felt compelled to play it at MIL's funeral, God bless her) but I'm now wallowing in their other stuff, at first hearing in some cases. The live recording of 'Nearer to Thee' (warts and all) is heart wrenching and almost enough to drag this atheist into his nearest Church for more. Fifty years since his passing, this month, and still no one to touch him for his voice and influence.

Thank you Sam and Rest In Peace.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

For me the greatest soul record ever made.

At least 160 cover versions recorded, some very good such as Redding's, many not so.

Non that I've heard capture that eerieness of Cooke's. As Bobby Womack said when asked by Cooke what it sounded like 

"It sounds like death"

Social source share

Mal C,  True words of wisdom,endless posts of gibberish.Sublime music by Sam Cooke;who inspired Marvin to add an "E",who played it 1st? and where?.Sorry its an incurable illness The S.W.O.N..

That's a bit rude. 'Endless posts of gibberish'? It's a forum. On the internet.

No one plays music, listens or dances to it on here, there are plenty of other outlets for those things - this supplements those things, it doesnt replace them. Its function is ONLY to talk about things. Are you saying you simply dislike the whole concept? Ironic then that you should make your stand on here.

And like any area of life, analysing and discussing things does not preclude experiencing or enjoying them. Should no one discuss anything because its not as good as listening to sam cooke? Next times you find someone talking about the weather or their kids or the infinite range of trivial concerns that occupy our days, will you tell them to stop talking gibberish and listen to some sam cooke, will you tell yourself?

maybe noone ever should research history, science or philosophy, because its all gibberish, all secondary to experience itself...

its a rude and misguided stand; it is at worst completely harmless for people to discuss who played a record first or whatever, it only needs to be interesting to one for it to outweigh your argument against it.

It used to happen in pubs and clubs and it was harmless, now it happens on here and its harmless. And it doesnt get in the way of anyone, not one single person, enjoying sam cooke.

Sorry if that seems antagonistic, but I think the original post was, and typical of a lot of barbed 'positivity' on here.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mal.C

Mal;

This has been a regular play in the Jim Wray Lounge at Soul Essence for some 10+ years now, still commands utter silence and many teared up eyes, as haunting as it gets.

Thankyou

Gouch

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Knew I'd seen that Quote somewhere... fabulous bit of writing from I assume Peter Guralnick, as it only credits 'Guralnick' on how this track came about...

Sam Cooke And The Song That 'Almost Scared Him'

Fifty years ago this week, Sam Cooke strolled into a recording studio, put on a pair of headphones, and laid down the tracks for one of the most important songs of the civil rights era.

Rolling Stone now calls "A Change Is Gonna Come" one of the greatest songs of all time, but in 1964 its political message was a risky maneuver. Cooke had worked hard to be accepted as a crossover artist after building a sizable following on the gospel circuit. And the first thing to know about the song, Cooke biographer Peter Guralnick says, is that it's unlike anything the singer had ever recorded.

"His first success came with the song 'You Send Me.' I mean, this was his first crossover number under his own name, and it went to No. 1 on the pop charts, which was just unheard of," Guralnick says. "As he evolved as a pop singer, he brought more and more of his gospel background into his music, as well as his social awareness, which was keen. But really, 'A Change Is Gonna Come' was a real departure for him, in the sense that it was undoubtedly the first time that he addressed social problems in a direct and explicit way."

Read More...

Image taken from the article and credited 'Sam Cooke in 1964, performing on the ABC variety show Shindig! just a few months before his death that December. ABC Photo Archives.

---

I nearly bit on the 'Rude bard' post, but realised thats exactly why I hate some of these 'Rubbish' threads,  your entitled to your opinion, perhaps we should leave it at that.

Malcolm

post-2025-0-88623300-1419804817_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!