Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

chalky

Palace Sack Warnock, Who Is Next

Gosh*te Warnock sacked, what they appointed him in the first place I'll never know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30610309

Wonder who will be next with the transfer window looming.  Tony Pullis lurking in the back ground, there will be a few managers looking over their shoulders.

Do you use some kind of predictive text on your Mac Chalky? It's like getting texts from a youth reading your posts.  :lol:

Do you use some kind of predictive text on your Mac Chalky? It's like getting texts from a youth reading your posts.  :lol:

:lol:  which bit do you need translating Phil  :lol:

I often miss the odd word out, lazy I guess lol

Edited by chalky

The natives seem to be getting restless at West Brom, Irvine is on thin ice methinks and the Leicester job could also be another vacancy . Warnocks appointment was a surprise to me in the first place he is not a Premier manager in a million years.

The natives seem to be getting restless at West Brom, Irvine is on thin ice methinks and the Leicester job could also be another vacancy . Warnocks appointment was a surprise to me in the first place he is not a Premier manager in a million years.

The natives didn't want him in the first place  :D

It's a poison chalice job indeed. I watched Chelsea and Man City on Boxing day, and the gulf in class between those two and the rest is incredible. 

Money really does buy success in sport, and not just football but any sport it seems.

Money really does buy success in sport, and not just football but any sport it seems.

So true , sad to say the days when teams such as Forest could get promoted to the top tier and then challenge to win it are long gone , now all promoted teams aim for is finishing above the bottom three.   

So true , sad to say the days when teams such as Forest could get promoted to the top tier and then challenge to win it are long gone , now all promoted teams aim for is finishing above the bottom three.   

Absolutely true.

Looking at the betting for the Palace job and Tim Sherwood seems to be favourite for the job I know there is a few Palace fans on here is he the man to save you ? . He looked way out of his depth at Spurs I thought after the initial first couple of months in the job and I thought he was tactically naive at best. 

Tim Sherwood, he has no track record, no experience.  Why on earth would any team take on a manager with no experience.  I heard Tim Sherwood after his sack from Spurs and frankly what he said was laughable.  Good club players don't make good managers yet most seem to think they have an automatic right to manage at the highest level with no experience. 

Tim Sherwood, he has no track record, no experience.  Why on earth would any team take on a manager with no experience.  I heard Tim Sherwood after his sack from Spurs and frankly what he said was laughable.  Good club players don't make good managers yet most seem to think they have an automatic right to manage at the highest level with no experience. 

The list on the betting looks good, same old crap coming up Ince , Hughton , I would not let some of em manage my shopping list never mind keeping my club in the Premier League . 

I left the match with 15 minutes to go yesterday, we were that shite.  Earliest I've left since the 6-0 drubbing by QPR back in 1999 (when we left just after half time to go for a sing song outside the Argyll Arms on Argyll Street  :thumbsup: ).

I've never seen a single match turn into such an acid test for a manager, and when it came to the crunch Warnock was left floundering, completely clueless.  You could visibly see the players confused and confidence-less, and when the crowd got on his back, well you could tell that was it.

The irony is that I actually think we are a better side than last year, but the complete lack of any goalscoring threat has been there all season.  

And before people sing the praises of Tony Pulis, think we should remember that his summer signings - Frazier Campbell, Hengeland and Martin Kelly - have hardly been improvements on what we had before.  

Looking forward? Tim Sherwood? I'm with Chalky, no thanks.  Think we have to look to the future, which means at this point in time somebody who is prepared for life in the Championship, because on balance, I think that's where we will end up.  

Pete

Please excuse me if I have got this wrong, but didn't Pulis leave because there was no money available for players?

If you are looking to get the best manager, you need to promise money to build. Otherwise the only takers for the job will be the inexperienced and the journeymen. 

Please excuse me if I have got this wrong, but didn't Pulis leave because there was no money available for players?

If you are looking to get the best manager, you need to promise money to build. Otherwise the only takers for the job will be the inexperienced and the journeymen. 

The whole game revolves around how much a club can spend.  What happened to scouts and unearthing promising talent from the lower leagues, build a team and a club. Football is in a sad sorry state IMO.

How we all long for those days as well. Southampton may rock the boat,but won't last the distance.

The whole game revolves around how much a club can spend.  What happened to scouts and unearthing promising talent from the lower leagues, build a team and a club. Football is in a sad sorry state IMO.

Saw D.Sullivan today on Soccer AM. He said in unearthed Sakho via Karen Brady thru the French 2nd Div. He said no-one is coming thru the Academy at WHU at the moment.

It's all about academy's now Chalky. 

And for the clubs without much money, as soon as they bring a young talent through, one of the rich clubs comes in with a huge offer that they can't refuse.

You know the games f**ked when teams in the middle of the Premier League still put a reserve team out in the F.A. cup when realistically they could give it a go and maybe win it but the fear that a few injuries and a few bad results in the league could drag them into the mire they bottle it . 

It's all about academy's now Chalky. 

And for the clubs without much money, as soon as they bring a young talent through, one of the rich clubs comes in with a huge offer that they can't refuse.

Academies have failed though.  kids aren't allowed to develop or enjoy the game.  We don't have the coaches nor the ability to know what to do with all the kids clubs and academies seem to sign these days.  

The ratio of players who come through the academy system compared to the amount that actually enter is a national disgrace.

anyway we digress (as usual) :)

You know the games f**ked when teams in the middle of the Premier League still put a reserve team out in the F.A. cup when realistically they could give it a go and maybe win it but the fear that a few injuries and a few bad results in the league could drag them into the mire they bottle it . 

Hey not only that,wait till the shake up at the end of the season - when only the dreamers want the UEFA Cup.!! Watch the realistic chairman tell them to drop the points.!!

Edited by KevH

Academies have failed though.  kids aren't allowed to develop or enjoy the game.  We don't have the coaches nor the ability to know what to do with all the kids clubs and academies seem to sign these days.  

The ratio of players who come through the academy system compared to the amount that actually enter is a national disgrace.

I didn't mean I agree with 'em, I was just saying that's what the big clubs are in to. I presume they were following a success story from another league? Like you say, they don't seem to be working here.

it`s ruined the game for the purist and real fan!..........proper  massive clubs (as in, not financially inflated) like Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland etc etc etc will more than likely never have a chance to win the league and possibly the FA Cup, and at the moment we can include Man U and obviously Liverpool in that list. Because some $hit-for-brains,money no object   billionaires who should never be allowed anywhere near a football pitch, just want to buy instant success. And the ar$e-licking media whores think it`s some kind of achievement. 

I can`t wait for these clubs to break away and form their own super league and let them just hump each other week in week out.  :wave:

Academies filled with the best young players from every country apart from ours  :facepalm:

Edited by Steve Lane

The cash cow that is the Premier League has stopped clubs now giving youth a chance at the top level, a couple of sub appearances here and there and then they are shipped out to the lower leagues to try to learn their trade we've had a Chelsea starlet at Rotherham this season but it seems even he was not given a chance one senior full appearance and then sat warming the bench probably because in the need to preserve our status in the Championship we did not trust his lack of experience but obvious potential.  

Edited by shinehead

Well, the honest answer to that is that nobody apart from the Palace Board and Tony P really knows why he left.  There was some noise at the time he went about not being backed in the transfer market, but that in itself tells only a partial story - as it seems that we were willing to pay the transfer fees demanded by the selling clubs but we were not willing to meet the wage demands of the players themselves.  So we were willing to pay Cardiff £8m for Stephen Caulker but we were not willing to give him a 5-year contract on £60k per week (or whatever it was he wanted).  And that tension reflects the Board's concern/priority about over-stretching ourselves, when it wasn't too long ago that we were in administration - or playing Wednesday at Hillsborough to stay up in the Championship.

So, the dilemma is summed up in your last sentence - do we go for shit or bust? 

Actually Chalky this is central to Palace's problem.  With no one really coming through the Academy do we have to pay mega bucks for players?  Simply not going to be affordable when we need a left back, a centre back, probably a winger and at least one if not two strikers.

Personally, I've always thought far too much has been made of Academies, simply because they are such an incredible machine, and the number of kids that they involve/work through, and then discard, is incredible.  I mean what must be the ratio of kids they take in to those who actually make it at any level? 1 in 5,000? More?

(Was told an interesting story at the end of last season when one of the kids in junior's team was invited to Fulham's Academy.  Seems they send out scouts with the brief to bring in 12 players who are already a certain size (say 4 foot 10 at the age of 10),  Doesn't really matter what they can do with the ball; as they can be taught.    

But I digress...)

Edited by 26:10:02

No, there was money to spend. No one has heard the full story of why he left so suddenly, but everyone says he had money. Maybe the chairman was intervening in who to sign 

Bit of a daft time to sack him though. If they don`t have anyone lined up and it takes a couple of weeks to appoint a new man that only leaves him another 2 weeks at most to work out if, where or who to sign. Personally I would have thought Warnock would have a decent chance of keeping them up. There are worse teams in there.

Academies, more to it than football.  Regardless though, academies are taking players far too young, often away from their locality, they don't have time to nurture their blossoming talent before it is ciached out of them. Most of the time they sign youngsters to stop a rival signing them. They sign players who are clearly not good enough and will not make it as a footballer.  The whole youth system needs a complete overhaul.

Spot on Chalky,our once great game has turned into a money making excercise,no team building (only buying) no youngsters coming through and no characters on the pitch,remember Bowles Marsh Worthington Dougan and many many more teams are scared to lose so they park the bus no one will convince me that the prem is the dogs boll***s take the foreign players out and we have nothing 

There's only one reason for all the money in football. Television. That's where it comes from. That's why we have to have games on Sat, Sun, and at least one on a Monday, just so Sky have something to show.

Off topic, sorry.

I agree with Steve though. It's a daft time to sack him.

I don't think it was a daft time to sack him at all. We were definitely doomed with him. I've never heard the crowd sing "You don't know what you're doing" to their manager at Selhurst before. Perhaps we have a slim chance of survival now.  I'll be surprised if Pardew gives up Newcastle for us, but stranger things have happened. I'd be quite pleased with that under the circumstances.

Warnock has always looked after Warnock. Sitting near the relegation places he spent 4 million quid "for the future" when we needed a bit of quality then. No secret as to why he bought them and not Danny Murphy.

Always chasing the buck, he's a dinosaur and I couldn't understand Palace appointing him in the first place.

His Botox and facelift will need touching up again as he looks to return as a pundit where his favourite words are "me" and "I" .

Beany was spot on about him.

I couldn't understand Palace appointing him in the first place.

Do you not keep up with football Steve? 

He was appointed  after a number of others had turned Palace down after Tony Pulis walk out two days before the start of the season - the worst possible time for someone to walk out of any club. Essentially being retired he was the one willing to take it on for one season.

As for "wrong time to get rid of him" - disagree the team were in free fall, he had no ideas, he played the wrong players and out of position. As Dave says comes to something when the home fans start chanting "you don't know what you're doing". Last time I heard that was under Trebor Franciscan when he brought in and started playing Akinbola as a third striker - about 15 years ago. I remember he was No 55 in the squad - it gave me nightmares for ages LOL

Edited by Steve G

It really was a panic appointment then. Didn't you have an academy coach to take it on short term? Colin's " best fans" act doesn't work on the pitch sadly. Adding Blackwell to the staff to give him more time on his tractor just about summed him up. Track record of failure in the top league. Your players comments about Warnock and money wasn't news to anyone up here.

Poor judgment from someone who knows about Chairmans mistakes. Robson, Blackwell and Adams.

Warnocks got more promotions under his belt than any other manager. They'll want him back if they get relegated.

He may have done a job lower down where his style was best suited but he has never been nor will he ever be a premier league manager.   He only has one way of playing and no plan b.  Once teams suss him and his players out especially at the top level he is f**ked!

He may have done a job lower down where his style was best suited but he has never been nor will he ever be a premier league manager.   He only has one way of playing and no plan b.  Once teams suss him and his players out especially at the top level he is f**ked!

Sounds like Mick McCarthy to me...

Always done well getting teams out of your division Chalky.

Do I detect a tiny bit of bias here  :D

Warnocks got more promotions under his belt than any other manager. They'll want him back if they get relegated.

Problem is getting a team promoted is only half the job you need to be able to sustain that momentum and that is not easy for any manager , get your side promoted you are a hero for a couple of months then the pressure is on to stay up and looking at it most teams that come up usually yoyo between the divisions .

Problem is getting a team promoted is only half the job you need to be able to sustain that momentum and that is not easy for any manager , get your side promoted you are a hero for a couple of months then the pressure is on to stay up and looking at it most teams that come up usually yoyo between the divisions .

Agreed but is in not better to go up & possibly come back down than not going up at all & languishing in mid to lower table mediocrity?

Agreed but is in not better to go up & possibly come back down than not going up at all & languishing in mid to lower table mediocrity?

For clubs on a good sound financial footing and a astute board who takes the Premier money for what it is, a windfall to set the club up for the future it can be a great adventure and something for the fans to remember for years to come , but to other clubs that chase the dream and spend like mad to preserve that status in the top league it can turn out to be a millstone round their necks , Leeds , Sheffield Wednesday for example .  

For clubs on a good sound financial footing and a astute board who takes the Premier money for what it is, a windfall to set the club up for the future it can be a great adventure and something for the fans to remember for years to come , but to other clubs that chase the dream and spend like mad to preserve that status in the top league it can turn out to be a millstone round their necks , Leeds , Sheffield Wednesday for example .  

Crystal Palace for example?

Not sure Dirty Leeds or the Wendy's are the best examples as how long is it since either were in the Premiership?

Even my beloved Blades have been in the Premiership more recently than the Wendys (not that it is doing us much good now though!).

Always done well getting teams out of your division Chalky.

Do I detect a tiny bit of bias here  :D

I haven't disputed that fact, it is when he gets out of the Championship he has problems.  The main one being he's clueless.

Bias, I don't think so.

Crystal Palace for example?

Not sure Dirty Leeds or the Wendy's are the best examples as how long is it since either were in the Premiership?

Even my beloved Blades have been in the Premiership more recently than the Wendys (not that it is doing us much good now though!).

Both good examples and both still paying the cost of chasing the dream, the aforementioned millstone around our necks.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts