For Those Who Love Tom Moulton: Welcome Mike Maurro's Peak-Hour Remixes

I'm posting this up as many Soul Sourcers love Tom Moulton's remixes. So welcome Brooklyn's Mike Maurro - by far the nearest remixer to Tom Moulton musically speaking. In other words, if you like Tom Moulton's mixes, then you'll also LOVE this package! Out 26/01/15 and looking hot already!

The Mike Maurro Peak-Hour Remixes

HURTXCD127TheMikeMaurroPeak-HourRemixes-

East Coast, U.S.A., 2014 and the remix culture elite squad are alive, well and continuing the spirit and heritage first created by Tom Moulton some 34 years ago, when he created the both the remix and then the 12 single in a totally organic act of nature. This is a very private club where the currency and terms of membership are measured by access to 2” multi-track tapes and, hence, the opportunity to access the full original recording and remix it. Where these multi-tracks came from and how they fell into the possession of the East Coast elite is a whole other set of stories. Many of the names in the club are familiar — Tom Moulton aka the godfather, John Morales, Danny Krivit, Paul Simpson, Victor Rosado to name a handful — all East Coast veterans through and through. It’s a difficult club to join and outsiders don’t get in. But somewhere around 2008 a new name entered the ring, some guy from Brooklyn called Mike Maurro. First there were 2 state-of-the-art Spinners remixes that got people talking and then the INCREDIBLE opus that is Ashford & Simpson’s “Tried, Tested and Found True” and suddenly everybody wanted to know this guy from Brooklyn. What else did he have? Where the hell was he finding these multi-tracks? And the stampede began.

It was always going to be simply a matter of time before Mike Maurro’s work would eventually become available. Who wouldn’t want these remixes? But easier said than done. It meant explaining to the repertoire owners that, yes, these remixes were from the original multi-tracks and, no, we don’t know where Mike got ‘em from. A delicate balancing act. In fact, the project has had multiple revisions and taken 2 years to clear. 

However, here are 21 state-of-the-art remixes of some of the greatest dance music classics of all-time, all from the original multi-track tapes by a guy who is just seeped in dance music culture and a fierce collector of multiple formats of the recordings. This collection puts Mike Maurro firmly in the tradition of the great East Coast remixers and introduces a fresh new sensibility to the art of the classic remix. Welcome to Mike Maurro’s Peak-Time Remixes — a ‘must have’ package for all serious aficionados of remix culture. Brooklyn rocks the best.  

CD1

1. I'll Be Around - The Spinners
    Mike Maurro 10" Acetate Remix 7.10
2. The Love I Lost - Harold Melvin & Blue Notes
     Mike Maurro Lost In Philly Remix 11.52 
3. Side Show - Blue Magic
     Mike Maurro Extended Magic Remix 7.47
4. Bad Luck - Harold Melvin & Blue Notes
     Mike Maurro Tribute To Sigma Remix 13.36
5. Los Conquistadores Chocolates - Johnny Hammond
     Mike Maurro Hot Chocolates Extended Remix 8.59
6. Dreamin’ - Loleatta Holloway
     Mike Maurro Unreleased Test-Pressing 12" Remix 13.09
7. Ten Percent - Double Exposure
     Mike Maurro Mixed With Love Remix 10.11

CD1 Running Time: 72.44

CD2

1. Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton
     Mike Maurro 1976 12” Disco Remix 6.38
2. Shame - Evelyn ‘Champagne’ King
     Mike Maurro Shameful Peak-Hour Extended Remix 9.58
3. Deeper - New Birth
     Mike Maurro Deeper Down Extended Remix 8.44
4. The Night The Lights Went Out - The Trammps
     Mike Maurro Summer Of 77 Remix 10.05
5. Tried Tested & Found True - Ashford & Simpson
     Mike Maurro Tried & Tested Extended Remix 12.33
6. Doctor Love - First Choice
     Mike Maurro Extended Love Remix 10.38
7. Victim - Candi Staton
     Mike Maurro Victimized Extended Remix 12.52

CD2 Running Time: 71.28

CD3

1. Weekend - Phreek
     Mike Maurro Peak Hour Garage Remix 14.23
2. Vertigo/Relight My Fire - Dan Hartman
     Mike Maurro Extended Fire Remix 13.28
3. I Want You For Myself - George Duke
     Mike Maurro Selfish Extended Remix 8.45
4. Stay Free - Ashford & Simpson
     Mike Maurro Tribute To Nick Ashford Groove Remix 6.22
5. Searching - Change
     Mike Maurro White Label Extended Remix 10.11
6. Watching You - Slave
     Mike Maurro Energy Flowin' Remix 9.53
7. Burnin’ Up — Imagination
     Mike Maurro Burnin' Hot Reprise Remix 9.17

CD3 Running Time: 72.19

All remixed from the original multi-track tapes by Mike Maurro

Ian D :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks for this, a great pressie to put towards my sisters Birthday  :thumbup: we both love Tom Moulton - Fantastic Johnny C Waiting For The Rain so if like that brilliant!! x

I think he's like the bastard son of Tom Moulton. So close to Tom's sensibility that it's almost scary. In fact Tom has been mentoring Mike over the last few years. Two peas in a pod!

Your sister will love it I guarantee!  :thumbsup:

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK, it's now gone back a week to 02/02/15, but make no mistake The Mike Maurro Peak-Hour Remixes is set to be one of the biggest mix compilations of 2015! Essential peak-hour programming!

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 784 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#4 in Music > R&B and Soul > Funk
#5 in Music > Pop > Disco
#43 in Music > Dance & Electronic

Social source share

Now up to No.1 and No.2 on two of the Amazon charts!

We mailed to Radio yesterday, so expect to hear this all over the airwaves in the next few weeks! Looking like a monster!

Social source share

Ba-Boom! Friday's here, the weekend is beginning and The Mike Maurro Peak-Hour Remixes hits the No.1 Disco slot on Amazon again! Just over 2 weeks to release now but you'll be sure to be hearing this over the airwaves in the next few weeks. Check the Amazon link below and just have a listen to these KILLER remixes. If like Tom Moulton's work, then you LOVE Mike Maurro's work believe me! Have a GREAT weekend whatever you're doing! 

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 492 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, typically we were waiting on a last minute sign-off for two of the tracks, so unfortunately the date will now be 16/02/15. Apologies for the delay folks. Good things come to those wait!

Still holding beautifully on Amazon:-

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 465 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#2 in Music > R&B and Soul > Funk
#3 in Music > Pop > Disco
#5 in Music > R&B and Soul > Classic R&B

So just another two and a half weeks before the best Disco compilation of 2015 lands on yer mat!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon Price-Drop alert! I notice that Amazon have just dropped the price on this to a phenomenal £10.99 which is a FANTASTIC price. Just sayin'........ 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mike-Maurro-Peak-Hour-Remixes/dp/B00FE9QXBW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1423671532&sr=1-1&keywords=mike+maurro

Finished copies just came in:-

IMG_0619.jpg

And a photo with Tom Moulton:-

MoultonampMaurro.jpg

Social source share

I haven't played it al yet but I love the remix of Shame. It breathes new life into it.

Yep, we're getting across the board great comments on pretty much all the tracks. Pretty amazing reaction for a debut album from a brand new name. Radio has also been fantastic with support across the board. I'm dead chuffed!

Amazon reviews all 5 star too!

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful By Karl I Winter on 16 Feb. 2015
Format: Audio CD Verified Purchase
We’ve waiting a long time for this but it has finally arrived and is well worth the wait. I’ve known Mike for more than 10 years as we are both avid Disco record collectors but this is a new string to Mike’s bow and boy is he good at it.

Just as the Godfather of Mixing, Tom Moulton, has his own way of doing things I can now tell a Mike Maurro mix when I hear one. A lot of these tracks have been done before but Mike does them in his own way and does them very well indeed. The stand out for me has to be Candi Staton’s “Young Hearts Run Free”. Although a rare and highly sought after 12 inch single exists of this 1976 track the original 12 inch is no longer than the regular 7 inch. Finally we have a longer version, beautifully done and a sure fire winner.

Great work by Ian Dewhirst too and all at Harmless to get all these tracks licensed and at £10.99 for a triple CD containing 3 and a half hours of music it’s an absolute steal.

Highly recommended!

Comment  Was this review helpful to you?  YesNo
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful By Michael Williams on 16 Feb. 2015
brilliant re-imagining of these classic tracks great job Mike familiar but refreshingly different and hearing vocal refrains not heard before but somewhat the same as originals great mixes and long to fully immerse yourself in travelling back in time they sound as if they have just been recorded fantastic remastering job done too wow
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful By martin southcombe on 16 Feb. 2015
It seems like an eternity since I ordered this gem, but after the wait it finally dropped on 15/2/2015, all I can say is the wait was worth it. Not a bad track or filler to be found, and all served up in the usual Mike Marro way, no loops, beats or gimmicks added, just staying true to the original components, but allowing them to breathe and grow. Here's to volume 2
1 Comment  Was this review helpful to you?  YesNo
By S. Mccartney on 16 Feb. 2015
This has got to be one of the best remix albums out there. Mike starts of with I ll be Around at ten minutes and I have to say the mix is perfect. the Candi Staton mixes are just sublime and all through the 3 cds the quality is superb like listening to the actual masters a great selection. loved every minute hope he does another. A GREAT addition to my club collection.
Without a doubt, this triple album will appear in my end of year round up, and it's only February.

Check it out.

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!