ulyssees

Desert

Liverpool when I lived there 10 years ago, considered "woolie back" music by the locals :)

live up the road in sunny southport....liverpool has never been a hot spot for northern really....but has had some good soul clubs over the years...THE TIMEPIECE......THE SINK....think denbo might be able to add something to this....

Soul and funk clubs yes, but not Northern Soul. 

live up the road in sunny southport....liverpool has never been a hot spot for northern really....but has had some good soul clubs over the years...THE TIMEPIECE......THE SINK....think denbo might be able to add something to this....

South Wales is a bit of a soulless backwater ,

There are at least three regular (three or four times a year) Northern nights in South / West Wales, but there simply aren't enough people to support anything more. The next two I'm aware of are Porthcawl on the 7th February, and Carmarthen on the 21st February.

There are also a variety of places playing Soul and Funk on an irregular basis, particularly in Cardiff.

The Scootering scene is quite strong down there as well I believe, so they also hold several events a year..

It's nothing like the Midlands, or the North West, but as long as you are prepared to travel around South / West Wales, you could probably manage an event a month qute easily

I would say that promotion, in my opinion, is quite low key, there are often no flyers, and everything is word of mouth (Much like it used to be everywhere else). Perhaps they haven't discovered the internet yet :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  )

There are at least three regular (three or four times a year) Northern nights in South / West Wales, but there simply aren't enough people to support anything more. The next two I'm aware of are Porthcawl on the 7th February, and Carmarthen on the 21st February.

And Ffairfach Soul Club!  :)

Considering the amount of ex-pats in Canada I am amazed at the lack of interest in Toronto and the GTA.

Kev Cox, Alun Bell and a couple of names I have forgotten were going when we got here in '99 and held Northern nights. That sort of died and then they amalgamated with the local mods to become the Empire Soul Club but when it is your only night I did not want to listen to a couple of hours of Small Faces etc to get an hour or so of Northern especially when they played the Supremes etc.

There was an all-niter in Montreal a few years ago but this again fell into the Mod/Soul bag and it is a 5 1/2 hour drive.

Guest clanger v2

Qatar.....quite literally a desert!

I did hear of someone who tried to put a night on a few years ago. Apparently, the guy who's regular night was dropped for it put a complaint in, the police turned up and the DJ was arrested because his visa didn't allow him to 'work' outside construction. Sounds a bit far fetched, but nothing would surprise me out here.

I think there was an allnighter put on in Dubai last year? Possibly a Russ Winstanley promotion?

Much prefer to get my fix by travelling back home 3 or 4 times a year though.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.