New York - Crate Digging

Cunnie

Err thanks Ian, I think  :)

You won't thank me Martin. I'm pretty robust and resourceful but this was one location I didn't fancy hanging around for long. I was lucky to get out in one piece on the last visit.....

On the plus side, it's right across the road from the subway station if you can make it that far...... :lol:

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Try East Village A1 Records and Good Records although condition of the records varies - thought I had picked up a bargain for $1, I'll Keep Holding On The Marvelettes got back to the apartment, only to find it was cracked and unplayable. Try also the various flea markets at the weekend.

Social source share

You won't thank me Martin. I'm pretty robust and resourceful but this was one location I didn't fancy hanging around for long. I was lucky to get out in one piece on the last visit.....

On the plus side, it's right across the road from the subway station if you can make it that far...... :lol:

Ian D  :D

Take a fukin tin helmet with you mate

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Went to a shop called the thing in brocklyn a cellar full of records

picked about 30 recs up 15 dollars nothing rare but some decent stuff all 2 for a dollar

Fascinating store to visit; I'd recommend the thin gloves and face mask that several 'diggers' were using when I went. I had some of that hand gel which helped a lot afterwards, but it's seriously grimy.

Some photos from several years ago here.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd check with the shops before you go to them. Most seem to do a lot of business online and don't open the actual shop for very long during the day. I went into Greenwich village one day and most were closed and I ended up staring through the window, nose pressed against the glass like a little kid.   :(

Social source share

Try East Village A1 Records and Good Records although condition of the records varies - thought I had picked up a bargain for $1, I'll Keep Holding On The Marvelettes got back to the apartment, only to find it was cracked and unplayable. Try also the various flea markets at the weekend.

would check whether or not A1 has closed, if i,m not mistaken they shut up shop in 2012

Social source share

Fascinating store to visit; I'd recommend the thin gloves and face mask that several 'diggers' were using when I went. I had some of that hand gel which helped a lot afterwards, but it's seriously grimy.

Some photos from several years ago here.

Heres a couple more pics from The Thing in Brooklyn. There's some bloody odd stuff upstairs too !

post-290-0-81080100-1420067055_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-10479800-1420067094_thumb.jpg

Edited by neiljon31
Social source share

I'd check with the shops before you go to them. Most seem to do a lot of business online and don't open the actual shop for very long during the day. I went into Greenwich village one day and most were closed and I ended up staring through the window, nose pressed against the glass like a little kid.   :(

I doubt there was much in there for you. NY has been clean for years. Not to say you won't find something but there are easier places to try and find rare records…..

Social source share

Most shops in Greenwich village, Lower East Side and East Village etc don't open until mid day or so but will often then open until midnight

Social source share

You might also want to see if there are any Soul Nights on while you're there. Subway Soul appears to still be putting some on now and again:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Subway-Soul-Club/144013184117

The guys from Big City Records, Jared and Chris, used to run Lost and Found with The Honeydripper also DJing, but I can't find anything except references to their nights at Savalas in Brooklyn having sadly closed, so not sure if they are still around.

SoulWolf earlier mentioned Good Records - some photos from several years back - click here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!