How Much This Devalue A Record - Please Advise

Psamsara

It's probably best to ask you people, as you have much more experience than i do.

So...  i bought a record recently, it was described as EX.

Visually it is... though the flip has some marks. Fair grading if you ask me. The problem occured when i dropped the needle on it. I immediately saw that needle is... how to say...  well, shaking, on one area. Probably on first 10 rotations, it looks like it's almost going to skip, but it doesn't. It has slightest warp, but i don't think it's that. So "the side" plays very well, and it looks visually EX, but at the begining needle almost skips. I use Shure White Label needles, tracking at 2 grams.  The flip side, which is also important but not as much as "the side", looks something like EX- and it doesn't play nice. A bit of noise, some crackles and pops. It has the same problem which i mentioned, but on this side, with 2 grams tracking, needle skips. I have no idea what is the problem, what kind of damage is it, as i can't tell visually, but i've described the symptoms.

So how much does this devalue a record (% wise) which was described as EX. If i'm to sell it one day, i can't go with that grade, obviously.

Btw, seller seems like a fair guy, communication is good, and he admitted that he didn't check the other side. Just trying to find the best solution, and he agreed that i ask this question.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

More a case of how much you want it ,or how much your prepared to offer ,for fear of him pulling the plug and offering it up to general sale ?

Its obviously damaged ,so regardless of visual grade. Its not ex ,more VG ,so should be about half to 2 thirds of nm value ?

Social source share

Much depends on the actual rarity and mint value of the record. That said, a side that skips is virtually worthless. The record sounds flawed with some grooves perhaps being off-centre. Whatever you expect from the re-sale, be sure to mention the record's faults - had you known of them, you might not have bought it in the first place. Can you return the record to the original seller or is it too late?

Social source share

Record is already bought and is with me now, if that what you are asking Nev?

It's no major rarity, it was just below 200 pounds mark.. it could probably go back, though i'm thinking of keeping it, so we are discussing a partial refund.

That's why i asked, procentage wise - how much this decrease the value. How much should be ok to ask?

Warp is very very light, i wouldn't notice it if there wasn't a groove problem. Main side plays ok, and in future i should just put slightly more weight on it, to secure that it doesn't skip.

... and yes - if i've known these things, i definitely wouldn't pay this much.

Edited by psamsara
Social source share

From the information,so far, I would ask myself the question  "is this a record I want to own and play/maybe D.J.with? If the answer is yes,go back to the seller and start your negotiations at half of what you paid.You will know at what point you feel comfortable with any outcome.

If the answer to the question is no(or you think you might want to sell it in the near future)ask for a refund.It sounds like the seller is being reasonable,so any negotiations should be conducted in a harmonius way!

Good Luck.

Social source share

From the information,so far, I would ask myself the question  "is this a record I want to own and play/maybe D.J.with? If the answer is yes,go back to the seller and start your negotiations at half of what you paid.You will know at what point you feel comfortable with any outcome.

If the answer to the question is no(or you think you might want to sell it in the near future)ask for a refund.It sounds like the seller is being reasonable,so any negotiations should be conducted in a harmonius way!

Good Luck.

Thanks.  I think that i would keep it, for dj-ing, but before i start negotiating i thought that someone could tell how much this objectively decrease a value % wise.

Some seller might be ok with 50% refund, someone wouldn't give 10%... that's all subjective. I thought i could call on some objective parameter.

Social source share

I was examining record even more, and realised that that slight warp i mentioned is actually a place where the problem is.

We call that a "dish" right? That's a edge warp? I have some, with a more prominent warp, but none of them is behaving like this. They usually make needle to wave, but this one is shaking, so grooves must be disturbed.

so...  procentage wise people?   :)

Edited by psamsara
Social source share

I was examining record even more, and realised that that slight warp i mentioned is actually a place where the problem is.

We call that a "dish" right? That's a edge warp? I have some, with a more prominent warp, but none of them is behaving like this. They usually make needle to wave, but this one is shaking, so grooves must be disturbed.

so...  procentage wise people?   :)

No, a 'dish' is when the record is very slightly bowl shaped and is evenly warped from the centre outwards, and is usually caused by poor storage. An edge warp is when there is a kink at the outer edge of the vinyl and this is more likely to have caused damage to the grooves. It may have been repaired at some stage to be less visible but the compression to the grooves remain - as I suspect has happened in your case. Like the man says - get a refund and wait for a better copy.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

No, a 'dish' is when the record is very slightly bowl shaped and is evenly warped from the centre outwards, and is usually caused by poor storage. An edge warp is when there is a kink at the outer edge of the vinyl and this is more likely to have caused damage to the grooves. It may have been repaired at some stage to be less visible but the compression to the grooves remain - as I suspect has happened in your case. Like the man says - get a refund and wait for a better copy.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Aha.

Thanks for the advices people and happy New Year!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!