Er Youth..... Rob Marriott ... Says Get This On Youth

Tfk

I used to go to Rob's soul night in Mansfield and this was his standard playlist. From memory he (or someone around him) did some sort of LP with some of these tunes on. It was a plain label thing I'm sure. Perhaps someone can confirm ?

Also I have a copy of Malcolm Dodds on Paramount from Robs tape if anyone is interested @ £5....bargin :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Still have some tapes that Rob had done for me, I must look them out. When you look back you have to say how much ahead he was, how much vision, and when he used to DJ how many dance floors he cleared and to me is seen as a result because you know in a few years time those people will catch up with you and your prophesy

Hi youth,sure on one tape,early 90's,its got Judy Stokes  - "Real man" on it.I'll have to dig it out.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to go to Rob's soul night in Mansfield and this was his standard playlist. From memory he (or someone around him) did some sort of LP with some of these tunes on. It was a plain label thing I'm sure. Perhaps someone can confirm ?

Also I have a copy of Malcolm Dodds on Paramount from Robs tape if anyone is interested @ £5....bargin :thumbsup:

Trotters, used to run the mini bus from Chesterfield, was a couple of blokes at work with them.

I don't remember any LP with these tracks on, he did do the Motown one which had On The Outside Looking In which was one of Rob's current plays at the time.

I put two or three of Rob's tapes on mix cloud, great listening.

You should send this one down Andy so I can digitise.

Social source share

Trotters, used to run the mini bus from Chesterfield, was a couple of blokes at work with them.

I don't remember any LP with these tracks on, he did do the Motown one which had On The Outside Looking In which was one of Rob's current plays at the time.

I put two or three of Rob's tapes on mix cloud, great listening.

You should send this one down Andy so I can digitise.

Thats it Chalky. I knew he did an LP around that time but couldn't remember what he put on it. Now you say Motown it comes flooding back. I'm sure I bought one of the LP's and sold it shortly aftwards.....ggggrrrrr !!

Drew :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats it Chalky. I knew he did an LP around that time but couldn't remember what he put on it. Now you say Motown it comes flooding back. I'm sure I bought one of the LP's and sold it shortly aftwards.....ggggrrrrr !!

Drew :thumbsup:

Yeah it was all the unissued Motown that was found early 80's by Rod Shard via Robb K.

Hope you are well mate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rob & Chris Marriott certainly educated me with Northern Tunes way outside the So called Top 500 Northern sounds.Rob is missed on the scene today.Still got tapes from them both.

Social source share

Hello Mr Whitmore!

That tape is either 1991 or '92, The Anita Anderson on there, is one of 3 copies that I found in Chicago, the Leo Costa was from Tim Ashibende which Rob pipped me to, and I took Rob round to Ion's place when he purchased the Sandy Golden,. great memories!

Wasn't Butch still playing it covered as DC Blossoms in the late 90s?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't Butch still playing it covered as DC Blossoms in the late 90s?

In a word no, at least not late 90's, it was sold to Rob still c/u, I certainly never uncovered it, although there was another copy knocking about in London that had come out of Randy Cozens collection can't remember where that went.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers Tony. I think I am correct in saying it was covered as DC Blossoms though? And Butch has been on this very site stating that AA was one of his discoveries. I have a CD made from a tape (recorded by the late Paul Fisher from South Wales) of a Butch set at the 100 Club circa 1997 where he plays it, though he doesn't announce it; so it maybe had been uncovered by then?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers Tony. I think I am correct in saying it was covered as DC Blossoms though? And Butch has been on this very site stating that AA was one of his discoveries. I have a CD made from a tape (recorded by the late Paul Fisher from South Wales) of a Butch set at the 100 Club circa 1997 where he plays it, though he doesn't announce it; so it maybe had been uncovered by then?

I have Butch on a live recording playing Anita Anderson, would be mid 90's 100 Club, it might be on my mix cloud page.

Social source share

Anita Anderson was part of the first set of records that Butch played regularly when he first got his 100 Club residency, along with things like "You Ain't Got A Chance", "Absent Minded Lover", That's When You Know You're In Love" and Jessie James on Shirley (unless that last one was a little bit later).  I believe that places it around 1990/91, though at the moment I can't remember exactly when Butch started playing at the 100 Club; if anyone can be more precise about that date, then that's the date we first started hearing Anita Anderson.  Of course he may have already played it elsewhere on an ad-hoc/guest spot basis, but I can definitely confirm that it's been around as a regular play for at least as long as Butch has been a 100 Club resident.

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

Anita Anderson was part of the first set of records that Butch played regularly when he first got his 100 Club residency, along with things like "You Ain't Got A Chance", "Absent Minded Lover", That's When You Know You're In Love" and Jessie James on Shirley (unless that last one was a little bit later).  I believe that places it around 1990/91, though at the moment I can't remember exactly when Butch started playing at the 100 Club; if anyone can be more precise about that date, then that's the date we first started hearing Anita Anderson.  Of course he may have already played it elsewhere on an ad-hoc/guest spot basis, but I can definitely confirm that it's been around as a regular play for at least as long as Butch has been a 100 Club resident.

All the best,

Nick

Butch was playing Jesse James in 86/87 along with most if not all that you list Nick.  He uncovered Jesse James at a Blackburn Christmas nighter if I remember rightly.  Butch was pretty much everywhere from 86 onwards and he's been top of the tree ever since.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers, Chalky, I rather suspected they'd been part of Butch's set prior to the 100 Club, but couldn't state which ones for sure as I hadn't really heard him prior to this - certainly to have a full set of the sort he started at the 100 Club with he would have had most if not all of them for a while.  The Jesse James I was confused about because I have a memory of noticing it as an 'addition' to his set sometime not long into the residency, but from what you say it may just have been on a 'break' when he started there and he dropped it in again later on.  Could be I'm just completely wrong about it and it was there all along.  I'm sure I've got some tapes of the 100 Club from about that time, so maybe I can go back and check - not sure where they'd be, though!  The other ones I mention, I'm definite about being in the 100 Club set from the start, and I imagine were things he regularly played prior to that.

All the best,

Nick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Still have some tapes that Rob had done for me, I must look them out. When you look back you have to say how much ahead he was, how much vision, and when he used to DJ how many dance floors he cleared and to me is seen as a result because you know in a few years time those people will catch up with you and your prophesy

How's it going Gilly ?  - yes we were always guaranteed some fabulous music and a great presence when Rob was in town and behind the decks   ( this cassette epitomises a typical Rob Marriott set and this listing still looks oh so very tasty today  ) noting quite a few of his tips went on to bigger status too... credits to Rob for pushing the boundaries   - and he was always great fun to be with when out in his company too.... tfk :rofl:

48 hours being entertained by Mr Marriott - no problem!!! 

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Brilliant Chalky 

That's  my my entertainment sorted  for the foreseeable - canna wait to listen later - Great photo of Rob "The Lord" Marriott ...

Right on youth !!!! 

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Byrney

We had this fella on our doorstep too with Trotters and Rock City, a time when the East Midlands could hold its head high (unlike now). Top stuff Andy... Soul Power ;)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

We had this fella on our doorstep too with Trotters and Rock City, a time when the East Midlands could hold its head high (unlike now). Top stuff Andy... Soul Power ;)

Hi Byrney 

hope your well - Happy new year to ya'll ... 

have just finished listening to these 3 sound files that Chalky very kindly posted up ,bought the memories flooding back of some of the fab music that Rob was pushing - and listening through them again and still appreciating  how good these records are - yep clubland was very healthy for us too :- Trotters , The Rock City soul nights and Allnighters , and never forgetting those Superb "Soul Power"  Allnighters at the Swan in Mansfield ( Great great times )  :rofl:  :rofl:

We were spoilt Byrney for sure ...

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

June Gatlin on Revue ( The issued copy ??? )  - I remember Rob was going to CU as Patrice Holloway rather than The Blossoms ( does sound slightly like Patrice   ?? ) 

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Spot on Phil, most just don't get it, most aren't interested in the music per se.  It wasn't just Rob though who had a willingness to push on, every DJ did, they all had individuality and a desire sadly by and large missing these days.

They were great days indeed and while most did push forward, most were not like Rob. He did tapes without you even asking for them, many a morning I went to the door to find a new one on the mat 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Great thread Andy.......Rob was one of my most favorite people, he would sit for ages and chat about all things, learnt so much from Rob......his willingness to part with his knowledge always blew me away.....one in a million was Rob, really miss not seeing him.

Was great hearing him on Deans radio show about a year ago.

Great dj, great records and a lovely warm human being.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Bloody hell Youth,some good stuff there.!!  :lol: Didn't know Malcolm Dodds was one of Rob's.

Hi Kev 

hope your well youth... 

Yeh Rob used to rave on about the Malcolm Dodds 45  ( back then i wasn't to sure ) but relistening now - he was right .... 

Rob was head and shoulders  ( not only  in size ) stomping ahead there too !!!!! 

Really enjoying those sound files that Chalky posted up ... 

tfk  :rofl: 

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Great thread Andy.......Rob was one of my most favorite people, he would sit for ages and chat about all things, learnt so much from Rob......his willingness to part with his knowledge always blew me away.....one in a million was Rob, really miss not seeing him.

Was great hearing him on Deans radio show about a year ago.

Great dj, great records and a lovely warm human being.

hi Andy 

Rob always being a great wealth of knowledge and oh so funny when out and about .

Just found this  snap  of Rob "Lord " Marriott (looking very happy / smug about something ) not sure if he was chuffed with his acetates still being there on the pavement outside the 100club or nailing the "Sandy Golden"  45 (last track on side a of tape) I remember him getting SG- he said brilliant double header youth!!!  Sandy Golden  youth!!! ....   :rofl:

(mmm no wonder them two  sat with him look like they are in shock !!!  ) :g:  :g: 

Photo :- circa early 80s I think ???  just  got back from the 100 club and Jim Wensoria had been DJing there (can't remember if Rob was "Game playing" too )   any takers on the date when JW was guest there " a after the dance " photo  ??? Location :- somewere back in Notts - phew !!!  :rofl: 

post-3067-0-43759700-1420713633_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

great thread,so rob is still around ? but is not active on the scene anymore ? seems he was such a influential bloke on the scene you would think he would still be heavily involved,could be the start of a new thread,"big influential players on the scene who are still around but no longer involved"

jason

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!