John Manship Auction Results 31 - 12 - 2014

JOE TORQUAY

9581_1sm.jpg9581_1sm.jpg9581_2sm.jpg
Doni Burdick Bari Track C/w I Have Faith In You

It’s a good job Inspector Charles Dreyfus doesn’t collect Northern Soul and Inspector Clouseau was the proud owner of the “Bari Track”, just imagine the jealousy and the uncontrollable twitch it would ignite…

As this disc epitomizes what Northern Soul is all about, offering up not one but two sides considered the very finest examples of their style.

Firstly “BARI TRACK” is recognized as THE Northern Soul instrumental anthem as Sax-God Mike Terry struts his low-blow saxophone that no vocal could surpass - flip it over and you are hit by one of the GREATEST NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS ever made…

“I want, I need “The Bari Track” and all costs - why should an idiot like Clouseau have one and a genius like me .. not”

Charles Dreyfus 2014

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 742.00

9592_1sm.jpg9592_1sm.jpg9592_2sm.jpg
Milton Wright I Belong To You C/w Like A Rolling Stone

The very limited 70s edition, with a vocal laid over Milton Wright’s “The Gallop” has really took off in recent times and now detonates the “Park Your Drink And Dash” to the dancefloor. It’s a MONSTER crowd-pleaser!

With the bonus of a sumptuously soulful Crossover offering on flipside, which is also receiving similar attention at those “snooty” utterly Soulful events I like attending..

Two fab sides - immaculate condition throughout - and darn tricky to capture!

The winning bid was £ 462.00

9598_1sm.jpg9598_1sm.jpg9598_2sm.jpg
Joey Delorenzo Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl

The hideously elusive ORIGINAL of this potent crowd pleaser.

A monster dancefloor detonator for High-calibre DJ’s like Ginger Taylor, Kenny Burrell and Co. who’s main aim is to create an atmosphere and get the rooms rockin’.

The intro leaves nothing to chance, zinging strings swipe back and forth, rhythmic bass guitar sparks the senses as it grows louder. Then in comes that impressive vocal booming out uplifting lyrics and then a persuasive instrumental break at dead-the-right time!

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL!

Micheal Valvano siphons off every last drop of his plentiful Detroit experience, to create an truly exciting session, with the power to command a dancefloor to swell and the In-House-Energy to lift.

Ginger Taylor is without question a DJ who can ignite the masses with his timely turntable picks.. this example he fully knows will rescue any drift in enthusiasm, pulling a set right back in line.. keeping the mood HOT!

Proper feelgood Northern Soul and extremely hard to acquire as this the genuine, labels the correct way round - ORIGINAL.

This copy has some light surface marks but as you hear it plays loud & clean.. couple of light clicks on the quieter intro.

The winning bid was £ 902.00

9589_1sm.jpg9589_1sm.jpg9589_2sm.jpg
T & T Something On My Mind

Small town Massachusetts delivers fabulously soulful independent dancer, that has been highly in-demand for most of this century.. due to plays from the likes of Mick H. etc.

All the top jocks who drop the arm on this is rarity are guaranteed that the instantaneously impressive intro with keep the floor moving; Jazzy jangling guitar collides with an expressive Sister vocal, add the horns, the hammond then whisk up a lengthy sax solo and you have a stunning Soulful dancer that just never relents.

Strong tune and you can see why it rocketed from it’s humble beginnings up to the in-demand disc it is today.

This copy has light surface marks, none of which show on the stylus. Plays EX+ visually vg+

The winning bid was £ 244.00

9591_1sm.jpg9591_1sm.jpg9591_2sm.jpg
Jimmy Thomas The Beautiful Night C/w Above A Whisper

One the seldom seen British Soul collectors Grails..

And condition is blinding - what more could you ask for?

Well you could ask for this 45 to be British ONLY - well it is. You could hope the flipside to be just as brilliant as the Northern Soul classic A-side - it is not - I personally think “Above A Whisper” is far BETTER!

Both sides written & produced by the seasoned Ike & Tina Turn Revue member Jimmy Thomas himself. And so darn elusive it was thought to be DEMO only for many years until a STOCK copy unexpectedly turned up.

This is top-of-the-tree British Soul collecting not just for rarities sake but also for the kudos it carried as Tony Banks, Leeds Central’s most-coveted 70s All Nighter spin. But also in more recent times when the flip became better known - it too became considered one of the very greatest recordings of it’s genre.. BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN it certainly is.

Two mighty, mighty sides in impeccable condition and saturated in Northern Soul history - what more could you ask for?

The winning bid was £ 300.00

9582_1sm.jpg9582_1sm.jpg9582_2sm.jpg
Michelle & The Mademoiselles He's A Wrong-no.

Do you strive to own the Unicorn-Rare vinyl - is it maybe your quest to own the 45s, hardly anyone else on the Planet-Earth can lay claim to owning?

Well right now you are looking at a Northern Soul recording that fits into that category perfectly. The impressive label credits reveal the “Page Brothers” both Billy & Gene at the helm of this 1967 Los Angeles “impossible”

“The IN Crowd” Bros create total Northern Soul with a “vibe” driven dancer featuring a relentless bass guitar rhythm and a persistent saxophone pumping its way towards an impressive solo..

Why this is 45 is ludicrously RARE when these two gifted brothers were involved is something of a mystery - but something in the back of my mind tells me “Michelle and The Mademoiselles” were a “topless” girl band I’m pretty sure I have a photo of them somewhere.. maybe it’s a book-marker in my safely stored Mum’s 1968 Littlewoods catalog…

Absolutely Rarer Than Rare… we gotta find another word to adequately describe “Extinct Northern Soul”

The winning bid was £ 313.00

9579_1sm.jpg9579_1sm.jpg9579_2sm.jpg
Christine Cooper Heartaches Away My Boy

This Weeks Rare STOCK copy - is such a very special piece indeed - as it comfortably sits in everyone’s top five favourite Northern Soul Sister Classics.

and as a STOCK copy data suggests it close to 50 times rarer than the Promo counterpart.

So if you want to own one of Northern Soul finest offerings.. this is the form to buy it in.. after near 40 years of frustrating unattainable status - this is a NS Classics value will always be only going one way….

Other than the small bb drill in the label this copy is flawless in every way..

The winning bid was £ 488.00

9590_1sm.jpg9590_1sm.jpg9590_2sm.jpg
Isley Brothers Take Me In Your Arms C/w Why When Love Is Gone

This weeks Tamla Motown collectors piece is something very special indeed, because it offers the double delight of two foot-to-the-floor Northern Soul stompers, both considered some of the finest Isley Brothers offerings to rare soul clubs ever recorded.

Two frantic real-deal dance tunes..

TMG condition conscious collectors, be assured this copy is utterly flawless; with both labels & both vinyls only revealing the merest signs of human contact with only the occasional brief sleeve contact hairline; but the labels you could be forgive for thinking it was straight off the EMI press.

It’s a beauty - a double beauty in fact

The winning bid was £ 208.00

9577_1sm.jpg9577_1sm.jpg9577_2sm.jpg
Lita Roza What Am I Supposed To Do

Ivor Raymonde is a producer who was used to working with ladies had the power to emit an explosive vocal. He of course guided the likes of Dusty Springfield on many of her standout performances. Likewise with the much recorded but comparatively unsuccessful Lita Roza Mr. Raymonde lays down a full orchestra arrangement to compliment Ms. Roza’s booming vocal.

Holly St. James style kettle-drums open the proceedings with a cooing girl-group embellishing the backing as banks of strings and blaring trumpets build up the Northern Soul backing.

Big vocals - Big productions you cannot ignore them, especially when the two aspects are equally matched.

This irresistible 1965 UK Red & White DEMO is is sparkling condition, close vinyl inspection reveals only a few hairline blemishes under light - the Red & White label has the radio station time written in biro 2’ 17” - and the file # to the right (see scan)

Incredibly rare offering that most British dedicates will be unable to boast of ownership of this vital 45.

The winning bid was £ 111.00

9574_1sm.jpg9574_1sm.jpg9574_2sm.jpg
Detroit And The Intruders There She Goes C/w Let Me Love You

Oh I’ve just come over all weak - I do just delight in these Doo-Wop influenced Northern Soul group dancers and this is, one of the very best.

An ultra rare New Jersey recording from the streets of Hackensack, that ripples class on every note, as Woody Gardella manages to fuse the two eras seamlessly together.

The soul intro immediately takes flight, soaring of a wave of woah-woahs, as the whisky-worn / nicotine-coated vocal leads with a begging performance, as the backing takes on some 50’s influences with a “Bass-Vocal” Doo-wopping merrily away in the background, sublime!

This is highly polish vocal teamwork, as Woody ensures the 60s feel swells as the recording develops, with “Detroit” increasingly imploring in his delivery.

Sorry to enthuse so OTT - but this “Just Does It” for me..brilliantly constructed.

Deep Soul enthusiasts will immerse themselves into the tortured ballad flipside, that again features those throwback elements of Doo-Wop whilst retaining the pure integrity of SOUL.

A few very light surface blemishes none of which show on the stylus. Excellent condition that plays Mint - both sides.

The winning bid was £ 271.00

9573_1sm.jpg9573_1sm.jpg9573_2sm.jpg9573_3sm.jpg
Fred Hughes I Keep Tryin' C/w We've Got Love

What a complicated business “collecting Northern Soul” can be.

Ignorance is bliss?

Well maybe it is, but not when your buying 70s counterfeits and thinking they are originals. Fred Hughes on Exodus authentic original 45 was pressed at ARP and of course has an ARP hallmark stamped in the deadwax. Note there are also other pressed outside the ARP run - but all have the EX-1023 matrix with NO TAIL on the scratched in “2”

Just like this very elusive WHITE PROMO copy has; an ARP stamp-hallmark sitting in a 2 turn 12.30mm wide deadwax followed by a 27.75mm long scratched in matrix reading EX-1023.

Yet another Northern Soul favourite, that after sitting on the fringes of Northern Soul classicdom for decades, is currently enjoying a huge renaissance with all its unmissable qualities bellowing out at many current events, the turntable resurgence has begun.

The white promo is of course the ultimate way of owning this raising Northern Soul Star.

PS the third scan is of the horrid phony New York counterfeit with the wide 15.25mm deadwax with NO MATRIX numbers - just a very faint “I KEEP TRYIN” in the deadwax..as you see from the counterfeit stock copy the silver text is not sharp - and the deadwax markings are all but meaningless except to the counterfeiter…and the vinyl that super-flexible one the same forger used on Joe Douglas, Sandy Wynns, Casanova Two, Dalton Boys, Marsha Gee to name only a few NS counterfeits that emerged from this same source.

Having said that I bet the “unscrupulous” will think of scratching in matrix number.. look for the ARP hallmark that would be near impossible to replicate .. or go for this seriously RARE WHITE PROMO… in just startling condition!

Our tip is do not buy any variation of this title with “I KEEP TRYIN” lightly scratched into the deadwax - it is certainly a counterfeit.

The winning bid was £ 260.00

9576_1sm.jpg9576_1sm.jpg9576_2sm.jpg
Movin' Soothin' And The Stone Funk Band Cryin' For Your Love C/w Dealin' With A Feelin'

Soulful Harmony vocal-group connoisseurs you are about to be impressed by a Dayton, Ohio area rarity; from the duo who gave us the stunning “Love’s Stormy Weather”. Again with the help of a vocal group, serve up a gloriously Soulful groove, exuding all the gravelly desperation we came to adore in the impossibly good “Love’s Stormy Weather”.

James Matthews & Melvin Brown underline the “lost” talent that populates the bars and Nite Clubs of American. It is hard to imagine more grounded vocals than the ones this disc serves up.

The slow rap intro fades, as the whole group enter the fray for an on-your-knees meeting of the minds. Excruciatingly soulful …gut twistingly good..

FUNK FANS - check out the meaty flipside - again vocally well endowed as the gathering wade through a maze of Wah-Wah guitars with chants, raps and shouts of approval - Proper raw, D.I.Y. Funk from the streets.

Two fine sides, one very elusive 45 covering two contrasting genres with great effect..

Vinyl has some light surface marks but as you can hear plays nice and clean - label are both flaw free.

The winning bid was £ 108.00

9593_1sm.jpg9593_1sm.jpg9593_2sm.jpg
Commands Hey It's Love C/w No Time For You

This weeks offering to those of you addicted to the Northern Soul WHITE PROMO copy is just gorgeous.

Not only because the two important first press San Antonio, Texas labels are totally unblemished. But the equally pristine vinyl gives up my favourite style of Northern Soul - the smooth-as-silk male vocal harmony NS dancer.

As with most-all Abe Epstein sessions, both sides are slickly constructed, fluid movers benefiting from seamless arrangements and beautifully delivered mix of voices, with the lead vocal being super-impressive..

After all this is one of mine and many others fave Northern Soul tunes , presented here in an unmissable format..

Pass by if you can..

The winning bid was £ 149.00

9578_1sm.jpg9578_1sm.jpg9578_2sm.jpg
Buddy Conner When You're Alone

Breakthrough 1003 a rare release on the now mythical Los Angeles label with a few Northern Soul treasures to offer.

Joey Jefferson again joined by Roy Hayes on this delightful 1970 session incorporating Buddy’s rasping vocal laced through the perfect mid-paced Northern Soul arrangement. Perfect arrangement it may but what makes this elusive 45 so special is the Bobby Bland / Buddy Ace styled vocal. Oh Boy, this guy pebble-dashes the mike on every word he growls out.

This NS mid-tempo excellence heightened by a very special vocal indeed.

DO NOT confuse this beauty with the 1972 remixed of the same song on Breakthrough 1004 - remixed and ultimately losing all that raw Soulful begging.. as a result.

The winning bid was £ 240.00

9580_1sm.jpg9580_1sm.jpg9580_2sm.jpg
Hun's Review Featuring The Soul Brothers Don't Make Me Love You C/w Danger Zone

Relentless vocal-group Northern Soul, defiantly delivered on wave after wave of violent horns, with the lead vocal delightfully overreaching itself in a style that actually adds to the naive charm of it…

An heady cocktail of the unsophisticated D.I.Y. production and the 100% determination to make it happen - makes this 45 real-deal Northern Soul - with a reputation that has not stopped growing in recent times, as it’s NS turntable activity increases…

In fact this particular 45 appears so frequently on forum or Facebook “wants” we can see this listing creating plenty of interest as these days it only seldom comes to market.

As you can see both labels are clean and free of any flaws - both sides of the vinyl only reveal the odd blemish or two in strong light - and as you can hear plays 100% perfect..

Now let me listen again to that lead singers intense vitality one more time… just totally energizing…

The winning bid was £ 673.00

Social source share

Milton Wright eh?

HI PETE-I NOTICED THAT J MANSHIP IS AUCTIONING A MILTON WRIGHT-I BELONG TO YOU ON SATIRON.THIS WAS A SOUL BOWL RECORD THAT WE MANUFACTURED FROM THE ORIGINAL RECORDING TAPES–IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT ON CARLA BUT OLLIE THEN DECIDED TO ISSUE THE INSTRUMENTALS INSTEAD –OLLIE AND I USED TO GO TO BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING WHEN I WAS IN DETROIT AND IT CAME UP IN CONVERSATION THAT HE STILL HAD THE TAPES TO THE ORIGINAL VERSION-SO WE PRESSED 300 COPIES WHICH SOLD OUT WITHIN A FEW DAYS.JOHN

It's probably more indemand for the flip side which never came out in any other format , and becoming very popular at the moment .

Social source share

Huns Review ended at £673!!

£8 record in the early 1990's. Plenty about then as well!

I suppose once they dry up and go into collections, and no more are found, this is what happens!

Funny, I don't mind when these records go high priced when I have got them, but think it's outrageous when I'm still looking for a copy!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Milton Wright eh?

HI PETE-I NOTICED THAT J MANSHIP IS AUCTIONING A MILTON WRIGHT-I BELONG TO YOU ON SATIRON.THIS WAS A SOUL BOWL RECORD THAT WE MANUFACTURED FROM THE ORIGINAL RECORDING TAPES–IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT ON CARLA BUT OLLIE THEN DECIDED TO ISSUE THE INSTRUMENTALS INSTEAD –OLLIE AND I USED TO GO TO BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING WHEN I WAS IN DETROIT AND IT CAME UP IN CONVERSATION THAT HE STILL HAD THE TAPES TO THE ORIGINAL VERSION-SO WE PRESSED 300 COPIES WHICH SOLD OUT WITHIN A FEW DAYS.JOHN

i bought a copy of this about 6 months ago for £200 from tim brown's list, then someone put a shout out for one on the soul source record wants i put a reply saying good luck i paid £200 for mine, someone replied and said i paid well toomuch for it well what can i say humble pie me thinks

Social source share

i bought a copy of this about 6 months ago for £200 from tim brown's list, then someone put a shout out for one on the soul source record wants i put a reply saying good luck i paid £200 for mine, someone replied and said i paid well toomuch for it well what can i say humble pie me thinks

Anyone paying that much for a pressing - well, good luck to them.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Here you go mate

HI PETE-IT WAS A MADE UP NAME––DIDN'T MEAN ANYTHING JUST DIDN'T WANT TO USE SOUL IN THE LABEL NAME–JOHN

Thanks Pete and John , I found my copy of Milton Wight on Satiron in a mainly  pop collection ,two streets from my house , for 50p .Didn't play " Like A Rolling Stone " for months as I assumed it was the inst , as in flip of " The Gallop " , until I noticed Keith Money was playing it .It's now one of my all time fave records , sounding brilliant at The 100 Club recently .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

£462 for a pressing though.  There are other pressings done in the same quantity which only fetch £25.  Freddie Butler on Kapp for instance.

you puzzle me pete......pressing as in bootleg?.... wasnt it done with ollies permission....or do you mean coz it wasnt issued in 1969 along with the gallop on carla  type o thing

Social source share

I suppose once they dry up and go into collections, and no more are found, this is what happens!

Funny, I don't mind when these records go high priced when I have got them, but think it's outrageous when I'm still looking for a copy!!

on my current playlist ...brillaint 45...hear it tomorrow at brighouse 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought I did well year before last getting £200.00 for it

• Helpful 2
Social source share

you puzzle me pete......pressing as in bootleg?.... wasnt it done with ollies permission....or do you mean coz it wasnt issued in 1969 along with the gallop on carla  type o thing

Pressing - not a bootleg - a record custom made for the Northern Soul scene and pressed to fill that demand - same as if someone pressed 300 copies of one of todays monsters - you wouldn't call it an 'original' would you even if it hadn't been released before.

Social source share

Pressing - not a bootleg - a record custom made for the Northern Soul scene and pressed to fill that demand - same as if someone pressed 300 copies of one of todays monsters - you wouldn't call it an 'original' would you even if it hadn't been released before.

First time I read that. IMO, pressing = bootleg. Any legal record that wasn't released before is an original, be it from the 1960's or 2000's.

Edited by Benji
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

First time I read that. IMO, pressing = bootleg. Any legal record that wasn't released before is an original, be it from the 1960's or 2000's.

No 'pressing' in the old term was any record pressed for the Northern scene, legit or not - it could be a bootleg or it could be a licensed release.  People didn't ask questions in the 70's Benji.  When the latest Soul Galore record came out with the words "exclusively licensed to Soul Galore", nobody actually bothered or was interested to find out if that was true.

Social source share

The positives of JM's auctions seem to be the seller and JM's bank balances are improved, the winning bidder gets what they wanted, others who own a copy of a record that sells for more than usual get to feel good they own a copy and people on here get to debate the results.

The negatives seem to be some find they previously sold a record for far less, some find they own a bootleg, some may never now get to own a copy due to a price hike, others wishing they'd have bought a copy when they had a chance and people on here get to debate the results.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Happy New Year to all !

I'll be honest, I was puzzled by this too. I've never really thought that the term "pressing",[at least in Northern soul scene terms],referred to anything other than a bootleg. As Benji just pointed out, if the track in question never came out in any other format before,[Like John Anderson stated to you]then they are surely, to all intents and purposes, the original and first issue. Aren't they ? Like for example,the numerous previously unreleased items that came out on Johns Grapevine imprint.

Personally, I'd never consider them "pressings" but I suppose its just down to personal opinion.

Ivor

Social source share

i got a mate a copy of milton wright on here for £75 only  10 months ago....made the price of a pint on it shameless hussey that i am....  its ok in my book as it wasnt available before..and the flips not been available ever..i dont think....i think its ok to play adeys 100 club freebies too..my dividing line is a bit more flexible than others......i mean some wont even play anything on british lol...i do think that nearly £500 is outrageous for milton...but then again i think £750 for doni burdicks outrageous..... and miltons a rarer record

• Helpful 2
Social source share

a lot of things have been released recently take mosses smith try my love great track you could pick it up for £20 now it's £75 to £100 is that a pressing or genuine release who cares it's a great track if someone is prepared to pay what the sellers asking then thats there money let them get on with it phew i feel better now lol 

Social source share

a lot of things have been released recently take mosses smith try my love great track you could pick it up for £20 now it's £75 to £100 is that a pressing or genuine release who cares it's a great track if someone is prepared to pay what the sellers asking then thats there money let them get on with it phew i feel better now lol 

It's a 2000's release of a 1960's song...

Social source share

Was 2 on discogs. One for £6.99 and one for £100.

Was it pressed twice or have I just got lucky?

Social source share

was repressed a couple of years ago martin............u may be unlucky... 1st issue about 15 yrs old now..promotion for a cd....the more recent one probably a counterfeit

About right for me I suppose.

Don't really pay that much attention to these current repress things.

Guess it'll sell on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought the Huns review last summer, paid 250ish, surely it can't be worth much more.... or is it? is this now the going rate, has JM set a precedence ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought the Huns review last summer, paid 250ish, surely it can't be worth much more.... or is it? is this now the going rate, has JM set a precedence ?

appears to be the way in the short term neil... or at least if you see one for sale itll be nearer john auction price rather than yours....once the dust settles it`ll be 250 again

Social source share

appears to be the way in the short term neil... or at least if you see one for sale itll be nearer john auction price rather than yours....once the dust settles it`ll be 250 again

John auctioned one two years ago for £560 ish, I've seen others at 300/350 innthat time too.  I doubt it will see 250 for sometime yet.

Social source share

I don't think so. It's probably just some kind of miracles of christmas.

I was already gobsmacked when it went 200+. It's been a bubbling-under lesser known for decades and was, from what I remember, a 50/75 tune for many many years. But that's the power of massive plays. Maybe I'll make my copy available for the market now?

Social source share

No 'pressing' in the old term was any record pressed for the Northern scene, legit or not - it could be a bootleg or it could be a licensed release.  People didn't ask questions in the 70's Benji.  When the latest Soul Galore record came out with the words "exclusively licensed to Soul Galore", nobody actually bothered or was interested to find out if that was true.

Pete, you refer to the 70s. But it's 2015 now. Meanings of terms have changed. Nowadays a "pressing" isn't something done for the Northern scene, it's just another term for a bootleg. Or do you consider all the G2K's and 100 Club anniversary 45's pressings?

Social source share

I don't think so. It's probably just some kind of miracles of christmas.

I was already gobsmacked when it went 200+. It's been a bubbling-under lesser known for decades and was, from what I remember, a 50/75 tune for many many years. But that's the power of massive plays. Maybe I'll make my copy available for the market now?

Has it had massive plays? 

Social source share

Whenever I had the chance to play it out loud, dancers loved it.

Not disagreeing with you regarding dancers reaction, and when I say second division that doesn't mean I don't like it, however I rate some sounds above it and certainley wouldn't pay £673 for it.

Social source share

Pete, you refer to the 70s. But it's 2015 now. Meanings of terms have changed. Nowadays a "pressing" isn't something done for the Northern scene, it's just another term for a bootleg. Or do you consider all the G2K's and 100 Club anniversary 45's pressings?

If I said to you I've got a box of pressings for sale, you'd know what I mean though?

Various reissues and bootlegs.

Grapevine 2000's were new releases.  100 Club records are one off limited editions.

Not sure why you're haggling about a word.  The Milton Wright record is a pressing.  The bloke who pressed it says it's a pressing.

Social source share

It's all a matter of semantics though 'Bootleg' has come to mean any illegal issue in recent times.

Officially, a bootleg is a recording that was never officially released by the artist or record company (usually a concert recording or an outtake).

A 'pirate' record covers most of the early pressings and is officially released record issued on another label i.e. Soul Sounds, Out of the Past, etc.

A 'counterfeit' record is one that is made to look exactly like an original release and to be passed off as such.

As Pete says, 'pressings' was what they were called in the 70s and at the time was the only way you could get hold of the records to play at home other than spending lots of money or making cassette recordings at 'Nighters'. Their present appeal, in the days of YouTube, MP3s, etc., is a little harder to fathom........

Social source share

As far as I'm concerned anything that is legally released doesn't come into the bootleg, pressing, etc. category.

I understand all the arguments but pressing is probably the wrong word as all records pressed at a pressing plant, it's probably become more legitimised due to ebay and people glossing up their adverts to make them look legit.  It should simply be bootleg if it is illegal.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!