Request To Sellers

Julianb

Guest Noggin

More than a couple of youtube videos causes my ipad to crash which means I am unable to see the list of records being sold. Annoying to say the least.

Social source share

Agree on the you tube clips : I also got to point where I often give up on that style of ad when on iPad. Links best bet I reckon.

i do though love the hype "under the radar " " her next big one ?" "Just right for now" "will have its day" "just watch it go" "sleeping monster" etc etc : not sure if it carries much weight but I like to read em !!

Rod Dearlove was great at this on his Voices lists. 

Happy New Year one and all. 

Social source share

Not when they fail to load and cause the page to crash. I can't even see what's being sold so I give up and go look at someone else's sales. I'm obviously not alone on this judging by the "likes" on my original post.

anyway I just hope sellers are aware it causes problems for some.

Yes, same goes for me when using Android phone. The whole thing crashes. A real pain - and I also just give up looking or avoid sales with loads of YouTube links.

Some of the records where YouTube links are given are so common and well-known it's baffling why a YouTube video is needed.

In my view, YouTube videos are not going to tip the balance in favour of buying a record, and may actually put a lot of people off because of the viewing problems with iPads, smartphones etc.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it possible to load a youtube link without the playback screen popping up....so you can just click on links in posts to hear ones of interest?

If so perhaps sales forum could be modified to only accept suchlike?

I lnow on facebook you can delete the thumbnail so it just leaves the link, not sure about on here.

have to agree they are a pain, even on a desktop machine and more often than not totally unnecessary given most are so common.

A sound file is necessary for the more uncommon but often youtube are so poor quality they aren't a good indicator of the quality of the disc in question. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

It`s a tough one this one. I posted a sales list last year without the clips and only sold a couple. When I posted some additions, I put on the youtube clips and nearly sold all the records I`d previously listed, then again if I read a list and theres something I don`t know on it, I just copy and paste into youtube. Ive had problems with the system crashing whilst trying to get on sales lists with youtube clips myself and as with others I just move on to the next list. So in some aspects it can be good for sales, but in others it can be bad also

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just call a spade a spade me thinks?? The punters will make their own mind up whether it's a cracking (crap) record. As for you tube links totally agree with KevinKent. it's a lot easier for buyers and does help the sales.

They're a real pain in the backside, they slow down the PC and are not necessarily representative of the record. Better to attach a soundclip of the actual record.

Social source share

Please don't refer to monster biggies, rare tunes etc when all you have for sale are £10, £20 and £30 records :(

Let's make it our New Year Resolution NOT TO OVER RATE THE TUNES FOR SALE!

Thanks

Rant over

Always fancied you when you rant :wicked:  Happy New Year Julian (and also to Carolyn). Hopefully I'll learn how to attach a soundclip when I sell my next batch in March. :thumbsup:

Social source share

embedding is a one setting for the whole site wide thing

but the seller can choose whether to embedd or link youtube

to link

they just highlight the text (say 'click here to listen' ) with mouse and then click the 'link' icon in the text editor and paste the link in teh box
giving you

click here to listen

however the issue is going to be making the sellers aware, firstly of the probs and then how to link

suggest that when you have probs you inform the seller that have so and point them to the help feature (link at bottom of every page)

where they will find the above

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most sellers are lazy, that is the biggest problem.  They do the easiest quickest thing, little effort for hopefully the biggest return.  

With sites like Divshare etc offering at least a couple of gig of free space there is no excuse for making a decent sound file, uploading and simply sharing the link.  Far more professional, better listening experience, takes up far less resources and would get more attention from me.  

When I am not at home I rarely use or read sales on here, especially those who I know like to saturate their list with youtube clips. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

When I am not at home I rarely use or read sales on here, especially those who I know like to saturate their list with youtube clips. 

I have to say when I open a page and it's chocked full of Youtube clips, I tend to get out as fast as I can. Sellers please note that, I'm not alone.

Social source share

The youtube thing. Isn't this a site for sharing records.? When selling,surely this can help.Wether the tune is shite or not is an opinion.If the youtube clip plays with jumps,hisses or whatever,find out if its the one for sale - from the buyer. 

Social source share

I have to say when I open a page and it's chocked full of Youtube clips, I tend to get out as fast as I can. Sellers please note that, I'm not alone.

But Chris,why would you get out as fast as you can.There may be a quality cheapie on the list you may not know.Even a flip of something you already know,but not own.

Social source share

The youtube thing. Isn't this a site for sharing records.? When selling,surely this can help.Wether the tune is shite or not is an opinion.If the youtube clip plays with jumps,hisses or whatever,find out if its the one for sale - from the buyer. 

I agree Kev, but just put a link to the record, don't embed them all.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I suppose you cant take it for granted that because a record is well known the Everyone will know it. All venues dont play the same stuff.

Personally i like a you tube clip to be of the actual record for sale especially a lower graded rarity so you can hear clicks,pops etc.

What about the In Demand,rare,floor filler £20.haha

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But Chris,why would you get out as fast as you can.There may be a quality cheapie on the list you may not know.Even a flip of something you already know,but not own.

Yes you're right but it slows down the pc so much I get p**sed off and want to murder the old man across the street !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When I sell on SS , for one I don't really have to explain if it's rare or not , as most folk on here know if it is or isn't . I can put a youtube clip on for one record but don't know how to do more 'cause I'm a technophobe . At the end of the day if your record is at a reasonable price it will sell.

I get sick of people putting the same one's on day after day that are too expensive to start with , no wonder they don't sell. Get a grip !!

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Looks like this thread has had no influence whatsoever on many of the recent sales posts several of which are crammed full of YouTube clips  :dash2:

it wont have any influence on what i do richard..the clips helps sell 45s maybe i wouldnt sell..and working 12 hrs a day i dont have time to do sound clips

so my clips will stay.............. to all the moaning f@~kers...........tuff titty i say.....................totally agree with the monster tunes at £30 milarky tho

• Helpful 3
Social source share

When I sell on SS , for one I don't really have to explain if it's rare or not , as most folk on here know if it is or isn't . I can put a youtube clip on for one record but don't know how to do more 'cause I'm a technophobe . At the end of the day if your record is at a reasonable price it will sell.

I get sick of people putting the same one's on day after day that are too expensive to start with , no wonder they don't sell. Get a grip !!

:thumbsup:

The vast majority of records sold or should I say advertised  through places like SS are known to the majority.  Hardly any unknowns.  So there is really no need for the youtube clips.  Seen a couple of sales topics today and totally pointless.  For lesser known material a sound file is often vital as only way to sell but uploading a clip to divshare etc and simply sharing the link is far quicker than making a you tube video.  If using a video that isn't the record then that is totally pointless.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As for those who think this is simply a moan, I would have thought the number of people viewing via mobile devices, phones and tablets etc is quite a large percentage and will only grow, then if you are happy to simply ignore these users then best of luck to you.  Me, I would do everything I could to ensure my sales were to reach as many people as possible.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As for those who think this is simply a moan, I would have thought the number of people viewing via mobile devices, phones and tablets etc is quite a large percentage and will only grow, then if you are happy to simply ignore these users then best of luck to you.  Me, I would do everything I could to ensure my sales were to reach as many people as possible.

while i kind of agree with that..as i say i personally dont have the time to mess about.... 

Social source share

i see what you mean now phil. i used firefox and the only way i could use you tube is by embedding...ive sacked that off for google chrome in recent weeks and copy and paste works now

Firefox, embedding, google chrome, paste??? I must be thick Dave :huh: Explain next time i see you out :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looks like this thread has had no influence whatsoever on many of the recent sales posts several of which are crammed full of YouTube clips  :dash2:

I had a look back to 31 December.

Soulfulshoes, Randy and Ik001 all took around 50 seconds to load on my laptop. I've been told that on IPhones makes ad unreadable.

Looking at problem but best bet is for sellers to follow Mike's advice at post #19.

ROD

Social source share

This site crashes my Samsung tablet a lot of the time but I have no problem with Youtube clips on Sales,.........from what people are saying it seems thats more a problem for iphone/ipad users. Serves em right for trying to be trendy f*#* kers.

trendies...who want to be on soul source/facebook 24/7 and are terrified of missing something..especially that bargain

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!