checker records ,

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted
LORRAINE JOHNSON
Ms Johnson is probably better known to most of the record buying public for her dance floor hits on Prelude in the late seventies but the real deal top dollar is her debut 45 release from several years earlier. Co-written and co-produced by Sam Dees this has all the potential to be so so good and for once it doesn’t fail from start to finish.

‘Can I Hold You To It’(3:05) / ‘If You Want Me To Be More Of A Woman, You've Got To Be More Of A Man’(3:15)
 (US Atlantic 2967) released May 1973.

I only needed to hear the first 20 seconds of this before I said “Yep I’ll have that” and by the end of the first minute it was all I needed to know and the record shot straight into my all time top 100 — well, for that week anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypFDDijHzE

But once again it’s the early seventies major label release that holds that killer track tucked away as a blinding surprise on the issue only copy. ‘Can I Hold You To It’ came out on a double sided demo which can still be relatively easy and cheap to locate — however recent sale prices on Ebay fluctuate wildly, same with the issue — so choose wisely.

However you only get that longest ever song title on the issue copy only which - I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear - are so much rarer and consequently so much more expensive to obtain.

You know you want it.

Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZoSYLBsOtE

soul source url
Posted (edited)

hot shot / shaun and starr

daptone records , bought this last year with some other stuff from daptone , just a great tune , simples  :thumbsup: , must go back for another look

Edited by gogger

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

If you don't look at LJ on this video it's not a bad cover , just got a W/D Marvin one off SS , but not a bad attempt IMHO

L J REYNOLDS - COME GET TO THIS

:thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

:wink:

soul source url
Posted

and then there's this  :thumbsup:

MARVIN GAYE - COME GET TO THIS - TAMLA W/D

:thumbup:

soul source url
Posted

:wink:

soul source url
Posted

:hatsoff2: HI ALL The old saying "OLDIE BUT GOODIES" applies to records like this forgotten 45. the LOST SOULS - "I'm your love man" GLASCO GL300

:ohmy: my copypost-13241-0-10774200-1420857907_thumb.j

http://youtu.be/ZOZy3HIEuHI

soul source url
Posted

care free / baby washington

master five records , 

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Oldie from me today from 1967

Jackie Edwards - Come Back Girl - Island records

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Checking out sales, & a record I posted a few year ago near the very start of record of the day came up of which ive always rated

SOULPUSHERS "WITH A BROKEN HEART"

AMBUSH

GOOD STUFF!!

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

As i've just bought this of KevH thought i'd post it up Stafford C/U from Keb Darge

Edwin Johnson - Ain't That Enough To Make A Man Cry - Post 

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... TODAY I GOT THE BLUES IN ME! Although I have a good interst in the BLUES, in the late 6ts I attended LONDON CLUBS like the MIDDLE EARTH THE ROUND HOUSE also the BLUESVILE 67/68/69 CLUB (They took over the RICKY-TICK CLUBS) Where I was many white blues artists like CHICKEN SHACK, FLEETWOOD MAC, DUSTER BENNIT RORY GALAGAR THE TASTE GROUNDHOGS JOHN MAYEL TEN YEARS AFTER & many many more from the ISLAND HARVIST BLUE HORIZON LABELS,

IT'S ON THE LATER LABEL I HAVE PICKED TODAYS 45,

The strange thing is I did not know this record until the 8ts, if you love the BLUES then the A side is a must, however it's the B side that should appeal to most of you, if you don't know it, I think you will try & get a copy over the next week, 

ARTHER K ADAMS - GIMMIE SOME OF YOUR LOVIN - BLUE HORIZON 57-3136, PLAY IT LOUD THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON, THIS IS THE PROPER STUFF! ENJOY :yes: DAVE K

MY COPY A&B :shhh: post-13241-0-41453000-1420976391_thumb.jpost-13241-0-14694100-1420976451_thumb.j

http://youtu.be/fBi49j92Yoc

soul source url
Posted

Played this out last night,had forgotten how f#cking brilliant it sounds played at a venue.UK only release.

Martha Reeves - No One There TMG

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Played this out last night,had forgotten how f#cking brilliant it sounds played at a venue.UK only release.

My Daughter Jess is 18 now.I remember this being the very first song she sang along to as a toddler after hearing it played on my car CD player.Its remains one of her fave records

soul source url
Posted

My Daughter Jess is 18 now.I remember this being the very first song she sang along to as a toddler after hearing it played on my car CD player.Its remains one of her fave records

Patto

We'll  make a Vandella out of her yet :lol: 

Monster nighter tune in the 90t's but not heard it played out for ages,it sounded sooooo good :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Cheers

soul source url
Posted

Martyn

Along with Martha another Motown Monster from the 90s which has a place in my heart is Gladys Knight --- No One Could Love You More.This one has sentimental value for me as i first heard it played by Roger Banks at a Cleggy Winter Gardens Easter Bank Holiday night in 1997.As i drove back home along the M180 the Halle Bop comet was visable in the sky and a week later my daughter was born.Bought the UK only 45 soon after and would never part with it.Bloody hell getting a case of the Sunday night sentimentality can someone rescue me with an uptempo R&B stomper please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnGavsKcANs

soul source url
Posted

Martyn

Along with Martha another Motown Monster from the 90s which has a place in my heart is Gladys Knight --- No One Could Love You More.This one has sentimental value for me as i first heard it played by Roger Banks at a Cleggy Winter Gardens Easter Bank Holiday night in 1997.As i drove back home along the M180 the Halle Bop comet was visable in the sky and a week later my daughter was born.Bought the UK only 45 soon after and would never part with it.Bloody hell getting a case of the Sunday night sentimentality can someone rescue me with an uptempo R&B stomper please

Patto

Has prize of place in my collection too.........one of my older brothers fave tunes & was played at his funeral.

Does help it's a f#cking brilliant tune :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Another Motown tune around that time.............The Supremes-Stormy Unreleased(?)

Never did find out about this?Did it ever get an official release of any kind?Has it appeared on some strange LP?

Would like a copy if so...........only Rossi record I've liked :ohmy:

soul source url
Posted

leah dawson /you've got to change (your evil ways)

big hit records , hope this is ok patto

Martyn

leah dawson / you've got to change (your evil ways)

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Another Motown tune around that time.............The Supremes-Stormy Unreleased(?)

Never did find out about this?Did it ever get an official release of any kind?Has it appeared on some strange LP?

Would like a copy if so...........only Rossi record I've liked :ohmy:

martyn think theres been a few threads about it on here , came out on that motown box set , supposed to be a limited realese but its still for sale i think

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Gogger

Big Hit copy this end too,deffo under played this...........got b*llocks.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters

soul source url
Posted

martyn think theres been a few threads about it on here , came out on that motown box set , supposed to be a limited realese but its still for sale i think

Gogger

No individual release then??The booters have missed trick there haven't they or are the frightened Berry will send some of the boys round..........to have a word :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Gogger

Much Obliged mate thats knocked the sentiment back and put me right back into the groove,Great Record

soul source url
Posted

Patto

Has prize of place in my collection too.........one of my older brothers fave tunes & was played at his funeral.

Does help it's a f#cking brilliant tune :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn

Thats the trouble with these emotion filled tracks,they are well EMOTIONAL.The record reminds me of tears of joy and sadness for you.Sorry to bring back memories of your brother but what a great Funeral record it must have made

soul source url
Posted

I played this at Radcliffe.... on Big Hit

soul source url
Posted

I played this at Radcliffe.... on Big Hit

Neil

Nearly a beat ballad for you..........still having you LP carver dilemma  :lol: 

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Martyn

Thats the trouble with these emotion filled tracks,they are well EMOTIONAL.The record reminds me of tears of joy and sadness for you.Sorry to bring back memories of your brother but what a great Funeral record it must have made

Patto

But that's the great thing about the music it means something to us........Joe Bloggs out there doesn't get it & they are missing out on so much.........shhhh don't tell them,there's enough idiots worming there way in as it is we don't want anymore :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Neil

Nearly a beat ballad for you..........still having you LP carver dilemma  :lol: 

Cheers

Martyn

It's great at + 4 Martyn (only kidding). For anyone curious i contemplated having a carver done from an LP track... without owning the LP :g:

soul source url
Posted

Renaldo Domino - "Don't go away"

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Renaldo Domino - "I'm getting nearer to your love."

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Norven soul for you...

Uptights - "Shy guy"....

Edited by KevH

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I love this recently, 'The Reflections - She's My Summer Breeze'  flip of 'Gift wrap my love'...

I was going to sell it but just cant bring myself to do so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07eRtx_4OU

Hey Derek, I just sold the 'Lorraine Johnson' 45 on Atlantic, dunno, it sounded like it had it all for me, and it was 'Yes' in the first 20 seconds like yourself,  but just didn't hit the spot when I put it on at home,  so I sold it, and now I'm listening to it again on here, and guess what... Lol

Mal;_)

Edited by Mal C

soul source url
Posted (edited)

oh god, and this is utterly Phenomenal... other side aint bad either, and thats saying something isn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ZsEEPo_Tw

Edited by Mal C

soul source url
Posted

Nice little bubbler :

The Lovations - Heaven Told Me So - Cap City

soul source url
Posted

The Lovations - Heaven Told Me So - Cap City

soul source url
Posted

Kev, don't beat me up but this is just a racket to my ears :glare: You normally do better :)

soul source url
Posted

Kev, don't beat me up but this is just a racket to my ears :glare: You normally do better :)

absolutely brilliant oldie!!! Ive never owned one, think its time I did..

m

soul source url
Guest profile photo