Frankie And The Classicals-What Shall I Do

Maxwell
Go to solution Solved by Mick Holdsworth,

My 20 year old daughter heard this for the first time a couple of days ago,she says is that the same backing as Moonlight Music and You? Which is one of her favourite northern tunes. Then told her its been used loads of times on other tracks, can anybody tell me the full listing?  My brain is very fuzzy after the festivities but think its around 16 or 17 versions. Thanks :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The Vocals ...

1 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Cold Start) - Calla

2 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Talk In Intro)- Calla

3 - Laura Greene "Moonlight Music In You" - RCA

4 - The Essex "Moonlight Music And You" - Bang

The Instrumentals ...

5 - Subway Riders "After The Session" - Moonshot (probably not the correct title, as this tune only appears on some copies, most have an unrelated audio of session musicians talking after a recording, which is probably the intended B side, as it also makes sense of the title.

6 - Honey Townsend  "The World Again" - Mala.

7 - Burning Emotions "The New World" - Bang (not to be confused with the ABC release, which is a different song altogether).

8 - Mark Johnson "The Beautiful Place" - Diamond (Identical to Burning Emotions but this has the slow intro cut out).

That's eight, and apart from the RCA acetate of the Globetrotters (which I don't know, but understand it to be the same backing track), that's all there is. If you have a total of 16 / 17, I can only assume this is adding up all the different label variations of the same songs eg demos and issues / Phiips / Pye DD / all the different colours of RCA etc.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks for that seem to remember it said more on the sleeve notes of the Grapevine album,might be wrong as I said fuzzy and bad memory is not a good combination.

Social source share

The Vocals ...

1 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Cold Start) - Calla

2 - Frankie & Classicals "What Shall I Do" (With Talk In Intro)- Calla

3 - Laura Greene "Moonlight Music In You" - RCA

4 - The Essex "Moonlight Music And You" - Bang

The Instrumentals ...

5 - Subway Riders "After The Session" - Moonshot (probably not the correct title, as this tune only appears on some copies, most have an unrelated audio of session musicians talking after a recording, which is probably the intended B side, as it also makes sense of the title.

6 - Honey Townsend  "The World Again" - Mala.

7 - Burning Emotions "The New World" - Bang (not to be confused with the ABC release, which is a different song altogether).

8 - Mark Johnson "The Beautiful Place" - Diamond (Identical to Burning Emotions but this has the slow intro cut out).

That's eight, and apart from the RCA acetate of the Cheerleaders (which I don't know, but understand it to be the same backing track), that's all there is. If you have a total of 16 / 17, I can only assume this is adding up all the different label variations of the same songs eg demos and issues / Phiips / Pye DD / all the different colours of RCA etc.

Cheers

Mick

Well, I liked your post even though Maxwell did not indicate he actually liked it. I thought you went to a huge amount of trouble to provide the information Mick. Such scholarship should be given a big star...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Its the Cheerleaders on RCA Acetate, saw it listed on a playlist from the US contacted they guy & he had sold it to a collector in the UK

never heard it.

Ian

I don't know the Cheerleaders, only ever seen it talked about on here, think you mentioned it then Mick.

Yes, I only know about it because someone else mentioned it on here a few years back, and I was trying to find out if it was real or not. Only info I had was someone on here saw it on a US playlist, duly contacted the US poster and was told it had been sold to a UK collector. I don't even know if the song was a vocal, and if so, whether it was another version on either Moonlight or What Shall I Do, or even a new song.

I'll beleive it when I see it, although with such a widely used backing track, Teddy Vann could easily have recorded more versions that never made it to vinyl.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!